Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Imagineering Discuss Prerequisites for Imagineering? in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; Originally Posted by Sparrowni2010 I'm a CP right now! But we didn't have any kind of party like that.......although, the other night for Epcot's 25th, we watched Illuminations from Italy..and ...
    SafariStitch is offline A-Ticket holder
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparrowni2010 View Post
    I'm a CP right now! But we didn't have any kind of party like that.......although, the other night for Epcot's 25th, we watched Illuminations from Italy..and that must have been the best spot, because when we turned around Jim McPhee, Marty Sklar, and every other executive were standing behind us watching it too!
    That's awesome that you saw Marty Sklar! I worked at Safari's at Animal Kingdom and he came through with some family and friends for a grand gathering (waaaaay back in 2004) and no other fellow CPs working that night knew who he was, boo! Still cool though
    What time is the 4 o'clock parade?

stitch918 is offline A-Ticket holder
    I've been determined to be an Imagineer since I was 8 and I have pretty much been researching Imagineering since then. . . If you're set on being an Imagineer the Imaginations project (open to college juniors and seniors) is a must and basically you do all the set work and music and story writing for a ride you design and send it to the Imagineers (it's like a contest/ some kind of strange internship). Also, for some reason Disney really likes double majors (maybe it shows your versitility? I probably spelled that wrong) and also Georgia Tech offers a secific program in roller coaster design based off of the aerospace engineering major and I'm assuming that this could be applied to any sort of themed ride. Hope that helps!
    Dropping out and moving to Disney World because characters only have to be sixteen.

Mustard! Now let's not be silly!

StephiePye2006 is offline A-Ticket holder
    Quote Originally Posted by SafariStitch View Post
    Yeah, I definitely think that some engineering fields are more desirable than others when it comes to Imagineering. But, it also depends on the needs of the job. It kind of seems like the more "hardware oriented" fields tend to be more sought after by Disney. Fields like Mechanical, Structural, and Electrical engineering all seem to be highly sought after talents (in terms of engineering). I have a background in computer engineering and computer science and it seems like my skill set is still available at Imagineering but I might be better off going after something like the Walt Disney Internet Group or something like that.

When I was a CP I talked to Imagineering and I must have talked to one that wasn't all that thrilled about their job because they complained that Imagineering is all about ramping up for an attraction/park and then lays off everyone after the attraction/park is complete. While this is kinda, sorta true I have to believe that with all the money Disney is throwing into the parks lately (ahem...california adventure...cough) and the influence John Lasseter is beginning to have on Imagineering, this career field should begin to get a little more stable and just as fun and exciting as you imagined.

Sorry for the long post.....I definitely go back and forth whether or not I'd like to apply
    I'm a CP right now, and I've also heard from many people that imagineering isn't as exciting or glamorous as it most people think it is. Someone I know actually did a professional internship with him, and it wasn't that great of an experience. There is a very high layoff rate once an attraction is completed. Also, the job is extremely high stress. People expect the best from imagineering, and they want it as quickly and cheaply as possible. A lot of people can't handle it. In terms of engineering and the technical aspects of the rides, most of the time ride & show engineering actually knows and does a lot more than imagineering.

albino_pygmy is offline The voice of the Jungle
    I know of the high layoff rates and budget cuts and all that jazz, but I've been wondering if they ever have picked someone up that doesn't have a 4 year degree for example? I don't plan on having that much of an education right now, maybe later when I can afford it, but I was wondering if they'd ever hired someone because they're creativity and not because they learned how to be creative through 4 years of studying it in books. I think it's possible that they have and then trained them to be brought up to speed with the rest because I've heard they've hired anyone with customer service to do photopass even though they have no camera experience because they're looking for outgoing friendly people to "help make the magic." This probably could have been in it's own thread but I'm too lazy to start one up so I'm piggybacking off this one

ImagineerAtPlay is offline A-Ticket holder
    My mind is in WDW, the rest of me is here in Texas

Smile Imagineering

I know of the high layoff rates and budget cuts and all that jazz, but I've been wondering if they ever have picked someone up that doesn't have a 4 year degree for example? I don't plan on having that much of an education right now, maybe later when I can afford it, but I was wondering if they'd ever hired someone because they're creativity and not because they learned how to be creative through 4 years of studying it in books.
    I know of several cases in which Imagineers have gotten jobs at Imagineering without a 4 year degree. However, most of these people have a great deal of experience and thus expertise in their field. There are even a few Imagineers who have risen through the ranks from the Parks to Imagineering. I met with one Imagineer who told me that, although education is valued, experience means more.

Simply put: Find something you love to do and pursue it with passion. Learn everything you can about Disney, Imagineering, and your field of choice. Do what it takes to make you the best at what you do (whether it be through education, experience, or both). Make connections with people who can help you. Be passionate and persistant. But most importantly ...

Never give up on your dreams.

Hope that helps!
    Erica

Disney2000 is offline Fastpass Holder
    so CAD would be a good thing to take in high school, and the CP would be a good thing to do if you would want to be an imagineer? Does anyone have a site that has most of the info you need to know to be an imagineer? If you get laid off after a project is done, is it possible to get another imagineering/disney job quickly? If you get laid off after a project, is it for a short while, or is Laid Off the disney way of saying fired?

By the books I've read, Imagineering seems like it's for me. Is this the job for a super disney geek? Where's a good place to start to work your way up in the company to be an imagineer? What (your oppinion) is the best type of imagineer? What are the most in park/magical imagineer jobs?

Sorry for all the questions, but I think this might just be for me.
    The Golden age never was the present age… but with human liberty we can fulfill the promise and meaning of America. To everyone a chance. To all people, regardless of their birth the right to live, to work, to be themselves, and to become whatever their visions can combine to make them. This is the promise of America...And I foresee the American adventure to continue for a long, long time!
    ~The American Adventure, EPCOT Center

Are you 23? I am!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123