Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Imagineering Discuss the okay movie ride in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; while i was at disney this summer we went to hollywood studios and rode the great movie ride like we always do. i noticed how some things are getting old(like ...
    aerosmithfan94 is offline C-Ticket Holder

the okay movie ride

while i was at disney this summer we went to hollywood studios and rode the great movie ride like we always do. i noticed how some things are getting old(like the script) and how the crowd isn't that into the story, they just look at the scenes. i think gmr needs a refurbishment. maybe disney could replace some uneeded scenes with movies people know a lot more and even new lines. i have some movies they could add that would be popular like Star Wars, Titanic, movies like that. what do u think?

TTAfanatic is offline E-Ticket Holder

Re: the okay movie ride

While I would like to see this attraction spiced up a bit, I think a refurb would be a huge undertaking, because you would have to develop all new Anamatronics and build new scenes. I think Disney would be money ahead to create a new attraction from scratch to replace The Great Movie Ride, but on the other hand, I really enjoy seeing all the old grainy movie clips in the queue, and the classics on the ride.

2001 - Caribbean Beach
    2008 - Pop Century
    2010 - Port Orleans Riverside

www.twitter.com/nickphillips97

I proudly support The FairTax!
    www.FairTax.org

GrumpyFan is offline A-Ticket holder

Indeed, this ride while once was worth of being called "Great" has fallen down over time. It's a shame too. With so many great movies they could pick from, it could easily be freshened with some newer stuff, as well as newer more current script. I know, there's issues with licensing and all, but even with Disney's own library, they could still do a lot with it, even if they just focused on Disney's animated library.

This is one that irritates me if I stop to think about it. Because, I can come up with dozens of ideas just based on their movies! They could turn it into a tour thru Disney's animated history, starting with Snow White, then Pinocchio, then Fantasia and Dumbo, and Bambi, and Cinderella... they could throw in the Pixar movies and characters. Like I said, there's just SOOO much material they could work with.

WDW4Ever is offline Annual Passholder

My favorite part about that attraction is watching the video pre-show. I like how it's exactly like a theater except you're wrapping around velvet rope stanchions instead of sitting down. But I really like the theater pre-show.
    "If you can dream it you can do it."
    -Tom Fitzgerald
    D23 Charter Member

beja is offline C-Ticket Holder

GMR is one of my favorite attractions at WDW! I pretty much only visit DHS to visit GMR and RNRC. The rest of my party rides TOT while I do GMR several times in a row. I wouldn't mind if they did away with the live action portion of the attraction, but I enjoy the classic films referenced and would be disappointed if they were to replace them with more modern films. Perhaps further down the line when the modern films have stood the test of time, but for now I think that the films give a good representation of pivitol films and genres throughout cinematic history.
    Oct 99 OS|May 00 OS|Dec 00 OS|Aug 03 OS|May 05 AS|Oct 06 CB|Nov 07 POFQ|Nov 08 POFQ|Nov 09 CS

Piglit is offline C-Ticket Holder

I completely agree with beja.
    I for one would be sad if they changed GMR. The feeling of nostalgia that watching the old film clips produces is lovely. There are enough modern references throughout the rest of the Park.
    "Peace, Love & Mickey Mouse"

bmcintyre is offline A-Ticket holder

I enjoy this attraction. My favorite part is riding through Munchkin land. I try to get a seat on the left so I can see the witch's feet under the house. I really feel I'm in the movie. But I can see where the old classics would only appeal to those of us who are older. The kids have no clue who these people are. It would be a monumental undertaking to refurbish this, but I agree that adding some up-to-date movies would appeal to a broader audience.