Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Imagineering Discuss Substitute films for GMR in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; They could retheme it into a sort of real-life "Enchanted." Disney movies come to life. That could be cool....
    Thom Morrow is offline B-Ticket Holder

Re: Substitute films for GMR

They could retheme it into a sort of real-life "Enchanted." Disney movies come to life. That could be cool.

disneynurse is offline A-Ticket holder

The Great Movie Ride is one of my favorites specifically because I was educated on movies I at first didn't know too much about. I love watching the trailers in the queue line and even have watched some of those movies myself because of GMR. Singin' in the Rain has become my ultimate favorite movie, and I kinda wish it had been given more than the tiny umbrella and lamp post of Gene Kelly. I definitely think Mary Poppins, Public Enemy, the Westerns, Casablanca and Wizard of Oz are iconic to the ride and shouldn't be replaced. But I kinda think I could do without the others because they could be added into the final film reel.

I think Vertigo would be awesome in there with all the colors on the soundstage, it could turn out really great! I think more modern day action movies should be apart of the ride or something very iconic, maybe Titanic.

DAR
    DAR is offline Fastpass Holder

Quote Originally Posted by dramaqueenk View Post
    Definitely Hitchcock, maybe a bit of Tarentino as well?
    Agree with the amount of Westerns, do love the B+W stuff at the beginning though

It's funny but Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown were actually Disney films. Miramax at the time was owned by the Walt Disney Company. So what would you show? The needle scene from Pulp Fiction? The ear scene from Reservior Dogs? I never saw Jackie Brown.
    WDW Radio Android App.

DAR
    DAR is offline Fastpass Holder

Then I thought they wouldn't show anything R rated, but then Alien is featured in the ride. And the montage includes the Godfather, Trading Spaces and Beverly Hills Cop.
    WDW Radio Android App.

tarzangoofster is offline A-Ticket holder

The only thing I wouldn't mind seeing replaced would be Alien. The space that that section takes up alone could house at LEAST 3 new movie areas. I had no idea that there were limits as far as what company's movies could be shown, since the film at the end shows such a variety. It would be nice to see some more variety in the ride itself, but I love the majority of the ride the way it is. It's one of the last "Slow down and enjoy the past" attractions in Hollywood Studios and I like that.

the7thAve is offline Pepper's Ghost

Quote Originally Posted by WDW4Ever View Post
    I get what you're saying here, but I also think that the GMR is a place that makes you want to see and learn about new movies that you might not have seen before. The Wizard of Oz is the epitome of the Great Movie Ride to me.

I meant to pose this question in the original post as well. As for the adjective "Great": is it a great ride about movies, or a ride about great movies?
    I agree, and I think it's a ride about great movies. The only one I would take out would be Tarzan. I've seen every film in the ride (I'm a bit of a movie buff), but Tarzan, to me, is just not classic enough. Sure, it was popular when it was released, and spawned countless sequels, but none of the Tarzan movies are really even that great. Just because it's old, and was popular when it was around, does not make it great, to me. The other films in the ride have staying power (Wizard of Oz will forever be popular. Alien is still frightening to people and gets horror AND sci-fi out of the way with one whack. Two birds with one stone and whatnot), or are representative of a period in film history (Footlight Parade is the epitome of that kind of movie. Song & dance and pageantry. The Public Enemy is the epitome of the 30's and 40's gangster, film noir-ish, flicks that were incredibly popular.. and good).

I would also take out the Indiana Jones segment... and put in the Indiana Jones ride that is in DL, lol.

I honestly don't know what I would add that would add to the experience. Citizen Kane is a great film, but I don't know how they would do a scene from it that would be a fun part of the ride. We also must consider that Disney must be able to get the rights to add these films (though it's great advertising. If I were a studio executive, I'd do it. Imagine how many people know of the film "Footlight Parade" who would never seek out that type of film in their normal lives.).

So I have no clue what I would add. The idea to add something from the last 30 years isn't a bad idea per se, but they'd have to be careful and add something that has true staying power. The Twilight movies, for instance, are ridiculously popular right now, but where will they be 10 years from now?

If we can dream it, we can do it

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12