Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Imagineering Discuss Substitute films for GMR in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; I saw today that the GMR poll was still going strong on the forums asking if you would like to see anything begin to be replaced. I know a little ...
    WDW4Ever is offline Annual Passholder

Substitute films for GMR

I saw today that the GMR poll was still going strong on the forums asking if you would like to see anything begin to be replaced. I know a little discussion has already gone on there, but I'd like to make an "official" thread if you will about what you would like to see replaced, removed, or added. Being a new Cinema Studies student at the University of Oregon (my mascot is Donald, be jealous) began thinking of what I would like to see replaced and added.

As it stands now, the GMR exhibits:
    The Footlight Parade
    Singin' In The Rain
    Mary Poppins
    Public Enemy
    Clint Eastwood & John Wayne (Westerns)
    Alien
    Indiana Jones
    Tarzan (Not the 1999 Disney film)
    Casablanca
    Fantasia
    Wizard of Oz

I would like to see the Footlight Parade, Alien, Indiana Jones, maybe Tarzan and maybe the Westerns be removed. Footlight Parade is just a travesty as the mechanics do not even work anymore, Alien is getting to be a little outdated and isn't considered a "classic" by some. Indiana Jones is represented in the Stunt Spectacular already. Tarzan is slightly misleading anymore because of the 1999 Disney film and Westerns I think can just be replaced in there.

What I'd like to see added:
    Citizen Kane
    A Trip To The Moon
    Psycho, Vertigo, or Rebecca (Hitchcock)
    Cinema Paradiso
    Dr. Strangelove
    Godfather
    (all in that order of importance)

Please don't let this go the way that the Beatles discussions have

What would you like to see, legitimately, added to the GMR and replacing what movie?
    "If you can dream it you can do it."
    -Tom Fitzgerald
    D23 Charter Member

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd

Re: Substitute films for GMR

Personally, I think this attraction could use some more frequent updates to include movies that today's visitors grew up with (or are growing up with). Things that bridge the gap a bit. While I love the homage to old classics, even I haven't seen most of the movies featured on the ride and I'm a 34 year old mom (right in the demo of guests to the parks). It's less, to me, about what I'd replace and with what and more about just keeping it within the last maybe 20-30 years, updating the attraction at least once every decade.
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

wallfan329 is offline Working on becoming a Disney CPer

I would love to see Hitchcock stuff.
    Mckayla
    My Disney College Program blog...everything from KSU life to getting ready for Spring 2015

♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫
    2001(PO),2003(BC and DCL Magic),2004(ASM),2005(Poly and DCL Magic),2006(HH & OKW),2007(SSR),2009(WL),2010(BW,Pop and Vero),2011(OKW),2012(AKL & OKW),2012(Pop, Reunion),2013(Band Trip/Birthday Trip...AoA/Off Property),2014(OKW,Pop and DCL Dream)
    ♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫

Quote Originally Posted by BamaJenn View Post
    Personally, I think this attraction could use some more frequent updates to include movies that today's visitors grew up with (or are growing up with). Things that bridge the gap a bit. While I love the homage to old classics, even I haven't seen most of the movies featured on the ride and I'm a 34 year old mom (right in the demo of guests to the parks). It's less, to me, about what I'd replace and with what and more about just keeping it within the last maybe 20-30 years, updating the attraction at least once every decade.
    I get what you're saying here, but I also think that the GMR is a place that makes you want to see and learn about new movies that you might not have seen before. The Wizard of Oz is the epitome of the Great Movie Ride to me.

I meant to pose this question in the original post as well. As for the adjective "Great": is it a great ride about movies, or a ride about great movies?
    -Tom Fitzgerald
    D23 Charter Member

PAdisneygirl is offline B-Ticket Holder

I love GMR for the nostalgia factor and the only thing I'd change is The Wizard of Oz scene because (call me a heathen if you'd like) I have just never liked that movie. I don't know what I'd replace it with though.
    --------

@kathrynlynch on twitter

always looking for WDW fans to interact with, and if you live in PA/NJ that's even better!

I didn't use to like Wizard of Oz either but after I saw the Wicked musical, I appreciated it more. Understanding the bright colors and weirdness of it helps me appreciate it, too, not to say that you don't understand it or not.
    -Tom Fitzgerald
    D23 Charter Member

Quote Originally Posted by wallfan329 View Post
    Totally ironic that this just came up on the LA Times website tonight.
    Early Alfred Hitchcock effort discovered
    -Tom Fitzgerald
    D23 Charter Member

dramaqueenk is offline C-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by wallfan329 View Post
    Definitely Hitchcock, maybe a bit of Tarentino as well?
    Agree with the amount of Westerns, do love the B+W stuff at the beginning though
    dramaqueenk

"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
    Walt Disney

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

For a while, Hitchcock was exclusive to Universal. I miss the exhibit and even the old Psycho house, even though it was just a shell up on the hill.

Back when the movie opened, they had to stick with MGM films, as well as other properties already associated with Disney and the parks (they could use Indiana Jones, Alien, etc). Even though the park is no longer associated with the MGM studio, I wonder if the ride still has some sort of agreement? Or have they completely broken ties with MGM altogether.
    Really, Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    For a while, Hitchcock was exclusive to Universal. I miss the exhibit and even the old Psycho house, even though it was just a shell up on the hill.

Back when the movie opened, they had to stick with MGM films, as well as other properties already associated with Disney and the parks (they could use Indiana Jones, Alien, etc). Even though the park is no longer associated with the MGM studio, I wonder if the ride still has some sort of agreement? Or have they completely broken ties with MGM altogether.
    I was under the impression that the agreement wad over seeing as that awful hat was constructed in front of it. Even if there still was an MGM exclusivity, and people are wanting current films, this is where the Marvel integration can make a SMALL appearance.

Did you not get to see the Psycho house or Bates Motel at USH?
    -Tom Fitzgerald
    D23 Charter Member

Quote Originally Posted by WDW4Ever View Post
    Did you not get to see the Psycho house or Bates Motel at USH?
    I DID see the Bates Motel back before they gutted the whole area. I remember attending the Hitchcock stage show they put on, and actually last night I came across an old Bates Motel shot glass and Hitchcock art post card I purchased from Universal way back when. I know I have a picture next to the wax statue of Alfred, too, somewhere.
    Really, Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

They had both the motel and the original mansion in August 2010. There was no Hitchcock show or wax figure that I remember.
    -Tom Fitzgerald
    D23 Charter Member

Wow. How did I miss the house? Admittedly I wasn't there long, but I know a lot of the stuff I saw when I ws first there (I had visited once the year they opened, half the rides were broken, so they allowed everyone to stay but gifted us with blue "back stage passes", which were basically re-admittance tickets. I returned again for the second time in the late 90s and they still had the Hitchcock stuff. But when I was there two years ago, I couldn't find anything. Will have to look again if I make it back this year while in Orlando. I should have enough time to sneak in a trip to Universal.

joanna71985 is offline Friend of the Disney Characters!!

Don't forget though- any scenes would have to be from Disney or MGM films (and I'm not sure if MGM films could be used, as I don't think Disney has the rights to MGM anymore).
    Many as a kid (1986-1998)Aug 1998- Port OrleansMarch 2003- Jr Band Trip (offsite)Aug 2003- Port OrleansJan 12-Aug 5, 2005- CP (CS)Jan 1-5, 2006- AS Sports (solo)May 24, 2006-Jan 5, 2007- CP (CS)Jan 31-Feb 3, 2007- offsite (solo)March 1-3, 2007- Dad+ Me (offsite)May 16-Aug 10, 2007- CP (CS) Aug 10-12, 2007- GF/P&PMay 21- Aug 15, 2008- CP (PC)Aug 15-18, 2008- AKL!!Mar 25-29, 2009 (offsite)Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010- CP (CS)Jan 3-May 14, 2010- CP (CS)Feb 12-16, 2012: DCL DreamOct 20-27, 2012: DCL Fantasy (Eastern)Sept 8-12, 2013: DCL Dream Jan 20-24, 2014: DCL Magic Dec 3-6, 2014: DCL Wonder (for now)

CP #1: 1/12/05-8/5/05: MK merchandise and parades
    CP #2: 5/24/06 to 1/5/07: character attendant!!
    CP #3: 5/16/07-8/10/07: Epcot WS Custodial/seasonal CA
    CP #4: 5/21/08-7/5/08: Casey's (QSFB); 7/6/08-8/15/08: character attendant
    CP #5: 8/10/09-1/2/10: Toy Story Mania attractions
    CP #6: 1/3/10-5/14/10: Great Movie Ride attractions
    FT: 5/16/10~
    Montclair State Campus Rep- Fall 2007, Spring 2008, Fall 2008, Spring 2009

JNota0005DakMC is offline Annual Passholder

that becomes the major issue nowadays... the updated films must be Disney films because their deal with MGM i think is done... except for what is already there... i think this is why GMR hasnt been touched...
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them"
    -Walt Disney

"Laughter is America's most important export"
    -Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!
    http://tomorrowlandgazette.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast