Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Imagineering Discuss Plussin' Soarin' in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; I have thought of two very simple things that could be done to Soarin' in WDW and Soarin' Over California in DCA that would make them both unique and updated. ...
    WDW4Ever is offline Annual Passholder

Plussin' Soarin'

I have thought of two very simple things that could be done to Soarin' in WDW and Soarin' Over California in DCA that would make them both unique and updated.

WDW: Soarin' could be updated with random scenes, but not just in a random order. You could go coast to coast for example on different journeys. Passing by Mount Rushmore on one ride and flying over the St. Louis Arch on another. You could go through the same places on any given ride but during different seasons on different flights.

DCA: With the refurb going on, Soarin' Over California could be transitioned to flying over 1920s, 30s, 40s, 50s, and 60s LA/California giving you a different decade every flight.

A very simple change that could be added now is temperature adjustment. Why is the temperature the same going over the beach and going over that snow-topped mountain?

I really like these ideas because it makes the same attraction that just had to be built in Florida similar but still unique.
    "If you can dream it you can do it."
    -Tom Fitzgerald
    D23 Charter Member

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Re: Plussin' Soarin'

Quote Originally Posted by WDW4Ever View Post
    WDW: Soarin' could be updated with random scenes, but not just in a random order. You could go coast to coast for example on different journeys. Passing by Mount Rushmore on one ride and flying over the St. Louis Arch on another. You could go through the same places on any given ride but during different seasons on different flights.
    I know that one's been thrown around a few times already. It would make sense.

When I ride Soarin', I really don't give much thought to what the scenery is, even though it's all California. For all I know, it's any set of woods, any beach, any desert, any golf course, any coast line, any ski sloaps. I don't tend to associate any of it specifically with California. It's just a ride with nice things to look at.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

I've never really understood the "it's California-centric" argument either. They could have filmed the whole thing in Idaho for all I care.

Disney05 is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Maybe they should make multiple movies. So each time you ride it, you don't know what movie you'll get. Kind of like how TOT has random drops. So it's a different ride each time.
    When you wish upon a star.....
    LAUGHTER IS TIMELESS, IMAGINATION HAS NO AGE AND DREAMS ARE FOREVER.
    Adults are only kids grown up, anyway. WD
    ...That's the real trouble with the world. Too many people grow up. WD
    "For those who get it, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't, no explanation will do."

http://wdwhomesick.wordpress.com/

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

I doubt they'd want to sink that much money into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Noyz View Post
    I've never really understood the "it's California-centric" argument either. They could have filmed the whole thing in Idaho for all I care.
    So you're trying to tell me that it ISN'T Idaho?
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

I don't know. It might be.

FritzTiki is offline A-Ticket holder

I don't get to WDW all that often and I think Soarin' is fine just the way it is. I love the experience just looking straight ahead and gliding through the sky. It also doesn't hurt that it makes your feet feel great, especially after you've walked about 10 miles in a day! If changes ever get made I will be happy to embrace them but for now I love Soarin' just as it is.

XQIXX is offline A-Ticket holder

The biggest improvement for me would be Hi Def. The film is grainy and dirty now.
    DVC Member SSR 2005

TowerTony is offline A-Ticket holder

Not just HI DEF, but plussing it with Disney Digital 3D!

Quote Originally Posted by TowerTony View Post
    Not just HI DEF, but plussing it with Disney Digital 3D!
    Why? So we can get water squirted in our faces... again?

nicks10 is offline @nick_straka

Quote Originally Posted by XQIXX View Post
    The biggest improvement for me would be Hi Def. The film is grainy and dirty now.
    Agreed, I did notice multiple blemishes on the film last week. I wouldn't mind seeing them convert to a digital IMAX projection system.
    -Nick

"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy"

They would still have to shoot a new movie in a compatible format. The projection system won't make the current film look any better.

Right. Bigger doesn't always equal better.

nicks10 is offline @nick_straka

True, I would definitely like to see an entirely new film at some point, perhaps Soarin across America or something even more broad. Although the four hour wait times seem to indicate there is not gonna be a long term refurb anytime in the near future. When they do decide to refurb, the good thing about replacing the film is that it theoretically shouldn't call for a really lengthy closure. The seat movements would need to be recalibrated and some effects would need to be added, but I don't think the queue theming would actually need to change that dramatically.
    -Nick

"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast