Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Imagineering Discuss Possible Ideas for Timekeeper and SGE in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; Sitting in my Speech and Communication class on Tuesday, I began to doodle out some ideas to help Tomorrowland out with the current problems of empty space with the absence ...
    Contemporary05 is offline C-Ticket Holder

Possible Ideas for Timekeeper and SGE

Sitting in my Speech and Communication class on Tuesday, I began to doodle out some ideas to help Tomorrowland out with the current problems of empty space with the absence of Timekeeper and the lackluster Stitch.

The Timekeeper idea I had is more of a temporary idea. Until a new major attraction would be put in, use the Circle Vision screens and project the Tomorrowland concept art on each screen. It could be called something like Tomorrowland: A Vision of the Future. On each screen, varying images of Tomorrowland concepts could be shown, with everything from John Hench's original ideas to current concepts for Tomorrowland. Guests would be able to leave feedback as to what new concepts they like, thus giving Disney a way to gauge audience interest in future attractions. This would only be temporary, since most people anymore don't care for museums.

Now on to the tough one. I know there are a few around here that love Stitch's Great Escape and just love the little bugger like none other. I've seen the movie and saw the attraction, and frankly, I really wasn't impressed. I loved Mission to Mars when I was little and even appreciated Alien Encounter later on. Stitch has not grown on me. While that AudioAnimatronic is incredible, it alone can't save the entire show. My idea is to create a new stage show based on the movie, The Rocketeer. I realize many of you may be going "The Rocketeer?! How does that belong in Tomorrowland?" Well, I'm a fan of the movie and believe that it represents futuristic stuff, like the jetpack using hero. My other reason for using this as a theme is because I believe Disney Video would bennefit greatly from re-releasing this on DVD as a Special Edition. With the popularity of comicbook based movies (i.e. Sin City, X-Men, V for Vendetta, etc) it seems like the perfect time to make an anniversary edition. This show would mainly feature live actors and would lose most of the darkness feature. I still believe there should be times of absolute darkness, but they should only last for about 10 seconds or so, being interrupted by the flames of the jetpack or a shining of multiple vintage flashlights. Gone would be the blowing air on your neck, spraying water, air on your legs, etc. The over the top harness seats would also be replaced. Instead, a seatbelt style system/lowering bar would be used in place, simply to keep guests from getting up during the show, due to the special effects. Now that I've told you about the changes for the show area/concept, I'll explain the premise of the new show.

The premise of the new show would revolve around Cliff Secord, the hero of the movie, going to a warehouse to retrieve the jetpack. Of course, the Nazi villans would show up and try to make his job difficult. Our hero would be scrambling around boxes, all while bullet sound effects are bouncing and pinging off the walls and celing. (Using small superbrite LEDs to indicate hits along with smoke from the gun barrels) While Cliff is hiding from the villans, he dons the Rocketeer attire and then goes out and proceeds to use the jetpack to his advantage. The finale of the show would be Cliff rocketing up to a catwalk to fight the leader of the sqaud and then knocking him off into a set of crates or the like. I believe this would be a much better show than SGE.

Thoughts, comments, musings?

MainStreet, USA is offline I'm walking right down the middle of Main Street, USA!
    Southington, CT/Daytona Beach, FL/ Main Street, USA!
    I'm not trying to tear your attraction idea apart, but I think there are some problems with it. I like the idea, but I don't think it would fit into Tomorrowland - both in terms of physical size and in theme. As for the physical problems, you would need a much larger theater for the kind of show you are talking about. The existing attraction theaters don't offer enough room for a stage big enough for more than one or two people on them. And how many guests can fit into the audience there? I don't know the numbers, but I know it's not many. If you are going to have live actors on stage, you are better off putting on fewer shows for many more guests each rather than putting on many shows for only a few guests each, and a theater of that size just wouldn't permit that.

As for the theme, even as "Futuristic" as the concept of a jetpack in the 1930s may seem, the Rocketeer has always been, right from the start, about the past. The Rocketeer movie (1991), was based on the Dave Stevens comic strips (written from 1982 on). Mr. Stevens himself readily admits that his Rocketeer character was inspired by a late 1940s early 50s matinee serial adventure hero, Rocketman. The Rocketeer is a hero in the 1930s, and yes he uses a jetpack that is ahead of its time, but being that it was written in the 1980s and 90s, I fail to see how this really portrays an image of the future. He's a fictional character from the past - right down to the inspiration for his character.

I do like the idea though... I just wouldn't think it a good fit in Tomorrowland. Besides... Stitch is still being advertised as "Tomorrowland's Newest Attraction". There's no way they're going to pull that out anytime soon. And Stitch merchaindise is a huge money-maker for Disney, much more so than a re-release of The Rocketeer would be (I'm making an assumption there, but I think it's pretty accurate). I would think your attraction idea would fit better in MGM if they had room for another large theater show over there. Besides, I'm pretty sure I recall from trips to Disney many years ago that the MGM Studios Backlot Tour used to include props from The Rocketeer, didn't it? I wouldn't mind seeing something Rocketeer-ish go back into that park.
    -Don-
    Your heart can just take wing,
    You can live out all your dreams...
    ...it's time to Remember the Magic!
    Yo Ho, Yo Ho, A Pilot's Life for Me...

Contemporary05 is offline C-Ticket Holder
    I'm just happy somebody read the post. You make a valid point about the size of the current SGE theater, it's just been so long since I've been in there after my only encouter with Stitch, I must have forgotten. As for the idea of using The Rocketeer, my whole idea is to do a "retro-future" if that makes any sense. I personally believe that Tomorrowland should be more of a "look at the future from the past's eyes." To me, EPCOT represents the actual future. Tomorrowland represents to me a glorified future, where things would be very different than right now, sorta like the idea of a Buck Rogers style future.

I'm a big fan of The Rocketeer and even have the comics of it. The whole reason I said anything about putting it where Stitch is, is due to the fact that SGE gets miserable reviews from almost everyone. Children still think it's too dark and adults are still uncomfortable in the theater. Maybe a better idea instead of live actors is to create the best possible human Audio-Anamatronics and fit them for the show. Everyone remarks about how great the Stitch one is, maybe Imagineering could focus some energy on making the best possible human AAs. Transplant some of the Lucky AA "DNA" into a human form. I believe this could be a great place to show the best of the AA design and creation.

As far as Stitch goes, give him some sort of new attraction. Make it something like...uh...Mr Toad-esq. Small rocketships or whatever his spacecraft is. You could transplant the AA Stitch into the ride and have him make an appearance somewhere. My suggestion for a location would be between Tomorrowland and Toontown Fair. I'd try and put more of the kid-based attractions on the edges of Tomorrowland. Leave Buzz where he is right now, but for any future attractions, move them to the other side of Tomorrowland. Disney could still sell a boatload of Stitch merchandise, but they could also try and attract the Jr. High through HighSchool crowd with The Rocketeer.

As far as MGM and the Rocketeer go, I feel that another stunt show there would be too much. With Indy, Lights, Motors, Action!, Beauty & The Beast on Stage, etc, the Rocketeer wouldn't be able to fit in. And you were right, the Backlot tour used to have the Bulldog Cafe from The Rocketeer.

Don, if you can figure out how to fit one of my other favorite movies into MGM, that being **** Tracy, I'll buy you 20 hours in a Beech King Air.

MainStreet, USA is offline I'm walking right down the middle of Main Street, USA!
    Quote Originally Posted by Contemporary05
    As far as MGM and the Rocketeer go, I feel that another stunt show there would be too much. With Indy, Lights, Motors, Action!, Beauty & The Beast on Stage, etc, the Rocketeer wouldn't be able to fit in. And you were right, the Backlot tour used to have the Bulldog Cafe from The Rocketeer.
    I thought I'd read somewhere that Indy was on the outs at MGM. I've heard whispers that perhaps there's a chance it may be replaced by an Indy ride similar to the one out in Cali. But with the Indy stunt show gone, there will only be one stunt show- Lights, Motors, Action. I don't think I'd classify Beauty and the Beast as a stunt show. That kind of fits in a little better with Voyage of the Little Mermaid I think.

I think that when it comes to MGM, the biggest limiting factor for any type of attraction is size. In terms of overall size, MGM is slightly larger than the Magic Kingdom. But so much of the park's space is taken up by large studios, sets, stage shows and that kind of thing, that it leaves very little room for much else. Despite its being larger than MK, MGM has about 1/3 as many attractions. There's just no room to put in anything new without first taking out something old.
    -Don-

OneLittleSpark is offline I'm gonna be the next Dreamfinder
    I noticed that shows for Indy were fewer and far between the last time I was down. It'd be a shame to see it go because it was an awesome show but I'd like to see maybe the Indy ride from Disneyland.

As for the Timekeeper what about transforming it into a Motion Simulator type ride through history. After Body Wars shut down it's left only Star Tours and Mission:Space in that department. It would be a good way to keep that theme to Tomorrowland and a way to add another thrill type ride to the Magic Kingdom after they got ride of Alien Encounter
    15 Trips in 20 Years!!

Port Orleans Contemporary Dixie Landings
    Coronado Springs Caribbean Beach
    Animal Kingdom Lodge Wilderness Lodge
    Boardwalk Yacht and Beach Polynesian
    All Star Movies

Can't Get Enough:

Cool idea... and I do love simulators. But with all the negative publicity Mission:Space is getting at the moment, I think Disney would probably want to steer clear of simulator-type attractions for a little whil anyway. Just my opinion anyway.

What's rumored to actually be going in there, some form of Monsters Inc. show, seems to fit the spacey theme of tomorroland pretty well (monsters, aliens, what's the difference, right?). And the former Timekeeper location is already a theater style setup, so the changeover shouldn't be all that drastic. I'm curious to learn more on this, but of course it's all hush-hush for now.
    -Don-

OneLittleSpark is offline I'm gonna be the next Dreamfinder
    I was going along the lines of a simulator more like Star Tours not one that pushes 2 g's, one of those is definitely enough
    15 Trips in 20 Years!!

Port Orleans Contemporary Dixie Landings
    Coronado Springs Caribbean Beach
    Animal Kingdom Lodge Wilderness Lodge
    Boardwalk Yacht and Beach Polynesian
    All Star Movies

Can't Get Enough: