Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Imagineering Discuss Backyard Imagineering in the Miscellaneous Disney forums; Just curious, does anyone have any backyard imagineering projects that they would like to share? Lately I've grown an interest for them... Any directions on how to make some of ...
    Wonderland is offline B-Ticket Holder

Backyard Imagineering

Just curious, does anyone have any backyard imagineering projects that they would like to share? Lately I've grown an interest for them... Any directions on how to make some of them would be great.
    Alice: I'm not staying here listening to you be rude.
    March Hare: You'll find better places for that, I'm sure.

-
    Queen of Hearts: I am NOT in the habit of talking to myself.
    [aside]
    Queen of Hearts: Even though it's the only way I can get a decent conversation around here.

-
    Tweedledee: I was an advisor to the British army.
    Tweedledum: I advised them not to take him, but they wouldn't listen.

Wow. No response?

-
    [aside]
    Queen of Hearts: Even though it's the only way I can get a decent conversation around here.

-

vixen101485 is offline Queen of the Swaps, bow before me
    most of my stuff is not really considered backyard imagineering but home decorating ala Disney...lol
    It would be interesting to know if anyone has a monorail running thru their driveway or not.

Surprisingly, I've seen pictures of someone who has done that. Really cool looking. I wonder if I can find the pictures... To the laboratory!

-
    [aside]

-

oh no no no...mine is nowhere remotely as tacky as George's (the tattoo Disney guys name who has a HOUSE full of Disney stuff)
    I have more of a subtle thing going. Like if you arent a Diseny fan then you wont understand the Tiki Room bath(looks like a tropical room) or the Nemo bath(Fish themed) or the Mickey Kitchen(black and red). I do have a Mickey mailbox and 4 more rooms to work on. At the very beginning stages are the Wilderness Lodge master bedroom(rustic look), the AK living room(jungle/african theme)(thank you Tink) and my craft room which is kinda a conglomeration of all things Disney. I am not allowed to touch my BF's STeeler room and my DD's room is lots of My Little pony and carousel horses--tho I do have a Disney carousel in there..lol

HMMM...just thinking.....I have my playroom/library to do nicer at some point---possibly an Adventurer's Club Library theme if I can find enuf references. I already got the books, all 4 sheving units double stacked full LOL

I was actually talking about the monorail through the driveway. Technically it was his backyard. I'm still looking for the pictures. It was really neat looking.
    Your house seems really cool. I could never do that to my house, mostly because it's not my house. Although, there was that one time I tried to get them to put the Mickey Mouse flooring in the kitchen. They ended up putting some other junk flooring in. Which, by the way, is a death trap. I've already slipped and fell on it twice, and we haven't even had it in but a few months.

-
    [aside]

-

I have seen the pics of the monorail in the backyard. Very neat.

I do not own my house. Still renting at this point. There are tons of things you can do to Disney-out a room without doing major renovations. My Tiki bath for example....I hung reed mats on the walls to give a more tropical feel. Some throws rugs with the theme of the room you want. A few choice pics--I pulled a lot off the Net and enlarged them and framed them. Some cool looking shelving units painted to the colors and theme you want. Use stickers to decorate them if your talents dont swing the artistic way. Anyone can paint a solid color(except maybe my mother LOL) Knick nacks/souveniers/etc to line the shelves with. Almost everything I have used to decorate can be easily removed. Even my mailbox(which I really need to post a pic of someday lol) has removable decs---magnet sheets cut out in the shape of Mickey heads--easy peasy. For xmas I may add a wreath around them or something. Ideas welcome for the holidays. It is my favorite thing I have and so easy to order pizza---"Look for the house that has a Mickey Mouse mailbox" the delivery ppl love it.

Your flooring gotta be better then my weird looking polkadot/pebbly/???? looking stuff from like 1950.

I wonder how much a monorail in the backyard would cost... To the Googlemobile!

Nice Ideas. I may try to do some of them. I never know if I'll have the time. Already prepping for Halloween. Six Devils, Six Witches, and 1 Reaper that have to be done by October first. Not enough hours in the day. Especially when we keep breaking the blades! The mailbox idea makes me want to get a mailbox. Curse you Post Office Boxes!

You just described my floor! Just joking. No, my floor looks more like, well, umm, hold on just a second... There's a lot of color and it looks like Walt Disney threw up on it.

-
    [aside]

-

hgraber is offline E-Ticket Holder

it's a small world bedroom project

I know this thread is so old it's almost dead, but I'm seriously entertaining the idea of designing an it's a small world bedroom for my daughter. Right now, I'm in the begining phase where I basically look at as many pictures of it as I can (and ride it as much as possble, of course) and sketch a LOT! Of course, I'm not going to be able to have every single thing, but as long as I get the feeling across. I'd like to include the blue elephant...that's my favorite...and maybe some dancing penguins. Right now, I'm trying to figure out how to incorporate movement into the design.

So, does anyone know what ever happened to Eric, the guy who was building Main St. in his basement? (Sorry, no clue what his handle is.)
    I believe in Happily Ever Afters.

SoupBone is offline Fastpass Holder
    I'll bump this thread. I would love to see and discuss ideas of WDW themed bedrooms, garages, etc. Any ideas?

Well, my daughter's bedroom isn't going to be my only Disney room. When we moved into this house 8 months ago, I finally got an office. I had never before had a place to display all my Disney memorabilia, collectibles, pictures, etc. So, now's my chance. Of course, it won't be nearly as over the top as my daughter's it's a small world room. It'll be more whimsical sofistication. One night I had an epiphany that I wanted to use those custom wall transfers to line the very top of the walls with Walt Disney quotes that were meaningful to me. (Walt is more than a hero of mine, he's like a member of the family.) Unfortunately, I found out that it was WAY over budget to get those made. So, if I do end up doing that, I'm going to have to paint them by hand.
    There are also some paint issues from either the previous renters or the handymen who repainted before we moved in...not sure. They used too much paint and let it drip down the walls. Right now, I'm settling on a color. My current options are Olympic's Magical Merlin(how appropriate), Valspar's Blue Burst, and Mazarine Blue from a brand I can't remember. I will try to share sketches when I get them done.

I would love to hear about some other people's projects! What do you have going Soup?

SoupBone is offline Fastpass Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by hgraber View Post
    Well, my daughter's bedroom isn't going to be my only Disney room. When we moved into this house 8 months ago, I finally got an office. I had never before had a place to display all my Disney memorabilia, collectibles, pictures, etc. So, now's my chance. Of course, it won't be nearly as over the top as my daughter's it's a small world room. It'll be more whimsical sofistication. One night I had an epiphany that I wanted to use those custom wall transfers to line the very top of the walls with Walt Disney quotes that were meaningful to me. (Walt is more than a hero of mine, he's like a member of the family.) Unfortunately, I found out that it was WAY over budget to get those made. So, if I do end up doing that, I'm going to have to paint them by hand.
    There are also some paint issues from either the previous renters or the handymen who repainted before we moved in...not sure. They used too much paint and let it drip down the walls. Right now, I'm settling on a color. My current options are Olympic's Magical Merlin(how appropriate), Valspar's Blue Burst, and Mazarine Blue from a brand I can't remember. I will try to share sketches when I get them done.

I would love to hear about some other people's projects! What do you have going Soup?

I don't have anything going at all but I do have my office/bedroom and a spare guest bedroom to work with. I've always wanted to do something WDW themed in a room but I don't even know where to start. I would love to make my office Space Mountain themed but I wouldn't want it to be generic space themed. I'd also like to make my front bathroom into a Tiki room theme....

RRMike is offline B-Ticket Holder
    I have a few projects going that were inspired by Anminal Kingdom. First I planted some bamboo in my back yard. I made some outside lamps like you see hanging from the telephone poles in Harambe and Asia. The biggest is my new garage. I like the old gas station in Dinoland USA so I built my garage kind of the same way. With the metal roof, Gas pump and old gas station fittings. I just redid my kitchen and for a while it looked like the job Donald Duck did in Mickeys Kitchen in Toon Town (LOL) . I like the parks at night so I am going to do similar lighting styles in my backyard so I can enjoy it in the summer. Photos to follow. This is a fun thread. Remember Walt Disney had a small outdoor model railroad in his back yard. Look what that lead to.
    Last edited by RRMike; 12-28-2008 at 12:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SoupBone View Post
    I don't have anything going at all but I do have my office/bedroom and a spare guest bedroom to work with. I've always wanted to do something WDW themed in a room but I don't even know where to start. I would love to make my office Space Mountain themed but I wouldn't want it to be generic space themed. I'd also like to make my front bathroom into a Tiki room theme....
    What are you good at? Painting, maybe woodworking? Concentrate on your strengths. If you're good at painting, maybe think about a mural on the walls/ceiling. If you're good at woodworking, maybe think about making a ride car desk or bookshelves.

You know, I read that Rolly Crump had never even sculpted before and when Blaine Gibson was too busy he gave Rolly the basic idea of what he needed to do and he just sculpted the Tiki sculptures for Enchanted Tiki Room! That's just the way they did it back then. I love that. Learn all you can about what you want to do and just go for it. I've been researching it's a small world for my daughter's room and you wouldn't believe how many things I've learned about it. The next time I ride it, it's going to be a totally different experience for me!

I forgot to mention...if you're planning any Disney inspired designs for your home, you should check Ebay. There are at least 2 stores that I know of that buy Disney's overstock merchandise and theme park and resort memorabilia and decor and sell it on Ebay. I've seen signage used in parks, resort room decor, and SO much more. I've even seen ride and movie vehicles! I actually bought an Armoire from the Grand Californian resort at Disneyland...though I wouldn't recommend bidding on large furniture items unless you live in one of their shipping locations and can pick up and inspect the item yourself.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast