Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Inspiration Gallery Discuss Layouts: Favorite Books in the Disney Scrapbooking forums; They sure are on tape! CD as well. We have all of them and listen to them on long car rides. We're in the car a lot! We're anxiously awaiting ...
    cjborne2 is offline D-Ticket Holder
    They sure are on tape! CD as well. We have all of them and listen to them on long car rides. We're in the car a lot! We're anxiously awaiting the new release. You can probably get the tapes/CDs at the library, or ebay if you want to buy them (although the prices are probably going up as the release approaches. I had to replace one that was borrowed and never returned and had to watch for a while to get a decent price). We've bought the other ones at a discount warehouse club.

See you back at the picture a day thread!

SuperStarKerri is offline It's all good.
    I tried to get a job at Barnes and Noble where I live. I applied and was never hired. Apparently you have to be 18. Guess I'll wait 7 more months before I apply again.
    Love, Kerri

nestinggal is offline D-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperStarKerri View Post
    I tried to get a job at Barnes and Noble where I live. I applied and was never hired. Apparently you have to be 18. Guess I'll wait 7 more months before I apply again.
    I wasn't aware of that policy. There are several HS students at the store I work at but they just graduated so they might be 18. Perhaps it has to do with curfew and B&N needing employees that our able to work until close. Our store is open until 11pm and closers have to stay past that time to straighten the store.

If you love books, you should definately reapply.
    Raelynn

August: 2009: 40th Birthday trip & Free Dining: Pop Century
    October 2006: 10th Anniversary/DS 1st trip: All Star Movies

I wasn't aware of that policy. There are several HS students at the store I work at but they just graduated so they might be 18. Perhaps it has to do with curfew and B&N needing employees that our able to work until close. Our store is open until 11pm and closers have to stay past that time to straighten the store.

If you love books, you should definately reapply.
    Yeah, I don't really like that policy. haha. I love books and I love the atmosphere of Barnes and Noble so I decided that's the only place I would work at during my high school/college days. Plus I love the smell of Starbucks right next door.
    Love, Kerri

MainStreet, USA is offline I'm walking right down the middle of Main Street, USA!
    Southington, CT/Daytona Beach, FL/ Main Street, USA!
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperStarKerri View Post
    It may not be that you have to be 18 to work there, but that might just be all they are hiring at the moment. I know when I was an assistant manager at Lake Compounce, I was quite a bit more involved with the hirings/firings/creation, posting, and modification of the work schedules, and an 18+ employee was much more valuable for us because they were more flexible in how you scheduled them. Sure we paid them a little more per hour, and so they were more expensive in that respect, but they could do so much more for us. There are child labor laws that are in effect for those under 18, and I don't know if they vary state to state (they probably do), but basically a 16 or 17 year old could not work past a certain hour on weekdays while school was in session and that sort of thing, and they were only allowed to work a certain number of hours each week, and they limited what kinds of work they can do (kind of like how a 16 year old is not allowed to use the meat slicer at your grocery store deli), etc. etc. You get the picture (although I can't imagine there being much in a B&N bookstore that you would have to be 18 to do). When scheduling a 17 year old, you had to take into account all of these restrictions, and there were some times when we ended up with gaps in our schedules and we ended up having to beg and plead with one of our 18 year olds to stay an extra couple hours (wow, I almost just typed extra magic hours, haha - I'm a Disney Dork ) to make up for the fact that a 16 year old had to be sent home because it was getting too late.

While you can't just work the butt off your older workers without taking into consideration how they are going to feel about the hours you are giving them, and you have to keep in mind that labor is one of a business's greatest expenses and that authorizing overtime usually does not make the head honcho very happy, you do have a lot more flexibility in how you can schedule and work them. Therefore it's very much a possibility that the B&N you applied at is just not wanting to take on any more 17 year olds for the time being, and is only looking for 18+ employees who can work the later closing hours or that sort of thing.

Here's a thought... have you tried applying again now that school is out for the summer? The restrictions in CT were different depending on whether school was in session or not. Also, if you're persistent and keep trying to follow up (without being annoying, that is), they're more likely to take you. If you just drop off an application and they never see or hear from you again, forget it. I learned the hard way that when they say "Ok, great! Someone will call you within the next day or two!", they never mean that unless they are seriously hurting for help.

Good luck!
    Last edited by MainStreet, USA; 06-22-2007 at 10:33 PM.
    -Don-
    Your heart can just take wing,
    You can live out all your dreams...
    ...it's time to Remember the Magic!
    Yo Ho, Yo Ho, A Pilot's Life for Me...

Thanks for the advice. When I went to apply it was around the Christmas holidays and they said that they could really use me and they said they really liked my hours. Well. I guess they lied. Oh well.
    Love, Kerri

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12