Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Introduce Yourself! Discuss Tips to make Daddy's trip to WDW really special in the WDWRadio.com forums; I was really excited to literally stumble upon this site. We're going to WDW in May, my husband and 3 kids and I, when he comes back for R&R from ...
    Heffnertj is offline A-Ticket holder

Tips to make Daddy's trip to WDW really special

I was really excited to literally stumble upon this site. We're going to WDW in May, my husband and 3 kids and I, when he comes back for R&R from Iraq. Does anyone have any ideas for us to make this trip really special for him? We'll be there for 10 days, then he has to leave us again...

Thanks for allowing me to post - look forward to talking with many of you!

-Tiffany
    Tiffany
    Proud Army Wife and
    Disney Enthusiast (but learning more each day!)

Trips to WDW: 1980, 1997, 1998, 2002, 2005, hopefully Dec. 2007

MommytoMJM is offline DisneyWorldTrivia Mod - Living Disney as a Lifestyle
    Make sure you tell him Thank you from me for serving and prtecting us! As for making the trip special, tell us more about your family and the types of things you like to do and what he likes to do then we can suggest certain activities.
    Bonny June, Homeschooler, Webmaster and SNK/Adoption Advocate~~Marjorie June Mailani Adopted SNK, Disney Fanatic, Joyous, Cheerful, Incredible Kid~~Andrew, Cast Member, Disney Reservations Center~~Heart Mom to Cody (adoption loss 10-00)
    (linkie fixed...heh heh, thanks Val!)

Making the trip extra special

Well, we are really just happy to have him around again for a little while. He likes Star Wars a lot, sci-fi stuff, and we love being outdoors. He would be happy doing anything there, I know he is excited to go. (We planned this WDW trip before we found out he had to go overseas, and he planned his R&R so that it would line up with our trip) But, I was wondering if there were any secret tips that readers could share, like a special restaurant, maybe a cool activity that we all could share together, etc. (Our kids are 11, 7 and 22 months.) I just want it to be a trip we will all remember and keep in our hearts while he's gone.

Thanks again!
    Tiffany
    Proud Army Wife and

First of all Tiffany....If your Husband is a huge Star Wars fan, I am not sure if you know it or not, but you are going at the perfect time! Star Wars Weekends start at MGM in May. Here is some info from Mouseplanet.com

Star Wars Weekends Festival events announced

The day after the sixth Star Wars movie (Episode III, Revenge of the Sith) hits theaters on May 19, Star Wars Weekends kicks off its 2005 four-weekend run at the Disney-MGM Studios. A quick rundown of festival activities includes:

• Walk-around characters from every Star Wars film—from Kit Fisto and Boba Fett to Princess Leia and Greedo, as well as Jedi Mickey Mouse—will be available for photos and autographs.
    • Star Wars celebrities will participate in talk show-style interviews in the ABC Theater, take part in meet-and-greet sessions and ride in Hollywood-style motorcades. The line-up of Star Wars legends appearing during the month will be announced soon.
    • Special Star Wars-themed editions of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire–Play It! will be presented.
    • The “Jedi Training Academy” will give young Jedi hopefuls the chance to learn moves with a light saber and test their newly acquired skills against one of the evil Siths.
    • Loads of special-edition merchandise will be available. Event-exclusive Star Wars memorabilia—from trading pins and commemorative posters to apparel, medallions and other limited-edition items—will be available in Tatooine Traders.
    Also into Sci-Fi then you must make priority seating arrangements at the Sci-Fi Diner at MGM. You sit in "car" tables and watch Sci-Fi movies during the meal on a big "drive-in" screen.

I will post some more ideas for you later, but for now I need to get my Son off to school!

WDW Donna is offline Much too far from the Magic :(
    I LOVE desserts and a couple of my favourite places are Beaches and Cream at the Yacht and Beach club, and the Ice Cream Social at the Garden Grill restaurant in The Land. You have to make a PM for it and it is in the afternoons at 3:00. Don't eat before though because you get one HUGE ice cream sundae. Just a couple of thoughts. I know everyone here will have more ideas for you.

EpcoT International Program June 21-January 21 1991
    Resorts we have tried;
    Yacht and Beach Club (our wedding)-1994
    All Star Movies -2004
    All Star Sports - 2006
    All Star Music Resort - 2008
    Coronado Springs -2009

Rgjad is offline B-Ticket Holder
    There is so much you could do. Definitely go to MGM for the Star Wars Weekends. He will love that. While you're at MGM eat at the Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater. It's a great restaurant. They show sci-fi movies and cartoons. Go resort hopping. I love to go around and check out the other resorts. Go to Fort Wilderness for the Campfire Program. They have it every night. You can roast marshmallows and watch a movie under the stars. (Best thing is it is free)

What days are you going? My husband and I and our 2 kids will be there May 18 to the 22. We'll be staying at Pop Century.

Whatever you decide to do I am sure you will have a great time. Thank you to your husband for all he is doing for my freedom.

GrumpyDude is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site
    avoiding "The Man's" infractions. can't keep a brotha' down!
    Tiffany, welcome to the site, and please tell your husband that we all thank and are proud of him and the rest of our military over there, and for everyone over there to stay safe and come home.

DissyLove is offline Wendy's real. I've seen her, so don't even start with me.
    First, I am sure your enitire family will have a great time, just spoil him while you are all together!

Here are my don't miss attractions for your husband while at DW. Some are not for young kids, so if you have young ones, consider perhaps getting a sitter for a few hours so you two can enjoy some of these:

At MGM: don't miss Rock -n-Roller Coaster, Tower of Terror, Star Tours rides, and the Indiana Jones Epic Stunt show.

Epcot: Innoventions, Spaceship Earth, Mission:Space (and head to Mexico and have a margarita!) Go to the American Adventure-it's a very patriotic place to be!

Magic Kingdom: Two words: Space Mountain.

Animal Kingdom: Do Dinosaur and then check out Lucky the animatronic Dinosaur that will be roaming around. I also love Kilamanjaro safaris, great for the entire family

I echo a previous post-make a priority seating reservation now for the Sci-Fi dine in theater for a meal if he likes sci-fi stuff!

Other good bets-for a decent charecter meal with a "modern" feel, make a priority seating for bfast or dinner at Chef Mickey's at the Contemporary Resort, it is fun and the kids will get to see Mickey and friends.

Enjoy your time together and we're so proud of him and your family for your sacrifice.
    I am in need of some Disney magic!!

Kellie19891992 is offline Annual Passholder
    You can also take carriage rides at Fort Wilderness and at Port Orleas.

The Electrical Light Parade which runs by the hotels on Bay Lake

Torch lighting at the Polynesian

What week in May are u going?

Thanks to all of you! I knew you would have some great ideas, and I will pass along all of your kind words to him. We are leaving home on May 19, driving there, meeting him at the airport in Orlando, and staying until May 30. We probably won't go to Disney parks every day, but most days we will. (We'll probably have to have a couple of time-out days for the baby.) We're staying off-site through our timeshare.

I will try to get us a seat at the Sci-Fi Dine-in Theater and I'm going to email him the information about the Star Wars days. Neither one of us knew about that! We just planned this time of year to go because the kids are getting finished with school and I'd heard that before Memorial Day was a good time to go. We also liked the Germany pavilion at Epcot last time we were there - brought back memories of living in Germany in 1998.

Does anyone here think the new generation of Pal Mickey is a good investment? I was considering getting one.

Thanks again - all ideas are so appreciated!!! Have a great day!
    Tiffany
    Proud Army Wife and

Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - WDW Trivia Book Author and Site Owner/Admin
    First, Tiffany... welcome to the DWT Family!!

Second, my sincere thanks you your husband and to all those who give of themselves to proect the freedoms that we enjoy.

And lastly, when you go to WDW, inquire in the MK at Guest Relations if your husband can take part in the Flag Retreat ceremony at 5:00 in the town square. It is a wonderful ceremony that so many Guests often missed. In fact, I taped and photoigraphed it on my last trip and will try to post it in the downloads section. It is quite moving and enjoyable, and current and former serviemen and women can participate (and get a cool certificate, too!)
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

MommytoMJM is offline DisneyWorldTrivia Mod - Living Disney as a Lifestyle
    The flag retreat is awsome! I hope we'll get to see you while you are here! We are at the parks every weekend. If you want to get together one day we can also take advantage of kid swapping.
    Bonny June, Homeschooler, Webmaster and SNK/Adoption Advocate~~Marjorie June Mailani Adopted SNK, Disney Fanatic, Joyous, Cheerful, Incredible Kid~~Andrew, Cast Member, Disney Reservations Center~~Heart Mom to Cody (adoption loss 10-00)
    (linkie fixed...heh heh, thanks Val!)

Bummer!! I just found out - my husband's leave got cancelled, well, postponed really. Don't know why. That's the army for you. So, he can't come home to see us until June, looks like, but the kids and I are still going to WDW (I paid the deposit already!!). We'll be there May 20-30, except for a resting day or 2 for the baby.

Thanks everyone for your advice. We'll have to plan another trip for 2006!
    Tiffany
    Proud Army Wife and

Kellie19891992 is offline Annual Passholder
    Just have fun and thank your husband for all of us by serving this great country