Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Introduce Yourself! Discuss Tickets from 1987 in the WDWRadio.com forums; Hi everyone. I'm new to this so I hope I'm at the right place. Somewhere between 1987 and 1990 I bought 3 adult and 1 child 4 day pass to ...
    tiggercube is offline A-Ticket holder

Tickets from 1987

Hi everyone. I'm new to this so I hope I'm at the right place. Somewhere between 1987 and 1990 I bought 3 adult and 1 child 4 day pass to WDW,Epcot,MGM and Magic Kingdom. The tickets are called Golden tickets and they have the MGM lion. My daughter who is now 26 has been wanting to use the tickets but I told her she couldn't because they could be a collectors item. There were only 30000,00 sold. If there not a collectors item than can they still be used? I actually called WDW and they couldn't tell me anything about the tickets. They were bought directly from WDW.

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Re: Tickets from 1987

There is a forum/blog on the tickets of Disney past. I'd start searching for that.

I have 1987 tickets with left over days, I should go look too.

I also have left over tickets in my booklets from opening year of the Magic Kingdom
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

tiggercube is offline A-Ticket holder

Thanks I'll go check.

20K is offline Brought to you by Dock Thrust

I have actually heard of people successfully redeeming 70s and 80s tickets, but whether there is any mileage in that... I dunno. I'm sure someone else will let you know for sure. Personally, I would just hang onto them as a souvenir rather than attempting to use them.

"I really hope that people won't cherry-pick my quotes in the future
    and use them out of context to justify things that I would never sign-off on."

- Walt Disney

WDW4Ever is offline Annual Passholder

They can be redeemed for face value. People do it with Disneyland ticketbooks too.
    "If you can dream it you can do it."
    -Tom Fitzgerald
    D23 Charter Member

Quote Originally Posted by 20K View Post
    I have actually heard of people successfully redeeming 70s and 80s tickets, but whether there is any mileage in that... I dunno. I'm sure someone else will let you know for sure. Personally, I would just hang onto them as a souvenir rather than attempting to use them.
    Quote Originally Posted by WDW4Ever View Post
    They can be redeemed for face value. People do it with Disneyland ticketbooks too.
    The bonus is the children's tickets that can be turned over for now adult tickets.

The question here on this thread is if her collectors-limited edition tickets are actually worth more than face value, are they really collectors items or did Disney just initially market them that way.

but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

MartianCrab is offline Fastpass Holder

I've redeemed old tickets from the 70s. It took a few minutes to do it (they needed to get a supervisor) but it can be done. If the "golden tickets" are worth less than today's current admission, I'd cash them in.
    “The trouble with quotes on the Internet is one never knows if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

20K is offline Brought to you by Dock Thrust

What if I was to produce a D-Ticket? Would they let me on the Skyway?

"I really hope that people won't cherry-pick my quotes in the future
    and use them out of context to justify things that I would never sign-off on."

- Walt Disney

JNota0005DakMC is offline Annual Passholder

they would... but good luck with that...

in regards to the tickets... i would keep em... it seems they are have more worth as a collectors item than as park tickets... in my opinion at least...
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them"
    -Walt Disney

"Laughter is America's most important export"
    -Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!
    http://tomorrowlandgazette.blogspot.com/

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

Unless it is a keepsake, go ahead and use them.

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

I can't recall any standard ticket issued called a "golden ticket", but it may have been a special commemorative thing. There is the "Golden Pass", but those are only given out to a select few. It's something like a global AP.

AllEars has an extensive page of images of tickets by decade - didn't spot anything matching your description. It would be cool if you could post an image, as it sounds like it was some sort of limited commemorative thing.

You likely won't get much information from calling up either. They might be able to tell you if the ticket is valid, but that's it. They won't tell you what is left on it any more.

Note that from a collector's point of view, it probably matters little if at all whether it has been used or still has entitlements on it. The value of the entitlements themselves are no greater than the current gate price of an equivalent ticket, and a collector is after the physical ticket, not the entitlements. So she could use the ticket, THEN be sold on eBay or whatever.

As for old tickets in general...if the tickets are unused, they can be traded in for cash equivalent to what was paid for them towards a new ticket. However, this is very likely a really bad deal.

If the ticket was partially used, you cannot trade it in towards a new ticket or upgrade it. You can only use what is left on it.

They can be used as is, although if they don't have a magnetic stripe you'll need to visit a ticket booth or guest relations (the latter would probably be better as not all the booth CMs would know what to do) to get them converted to a usable ticket.

The general rule of thumb has been that a ticket can only be used at parks that existed at the time - for instance, if the ticket was for admission to "all the parks" but was issued before AK opened, it wouldn't be good for admission at AK, but at least as far as the major parks are concerned they are currently including all 4 parks. They may allow a conversion of a River Country entry into one of the other water parks as well.

On the upgrade of a child ticket - since there is no biometric to tie a child ticket to a particular person, they CMs will generally take your word for it when you tell them a ticket belonged to someone, as long as the time frame makes sense. A 1990 child ticket for a 26 year old could make sense. A 2009 ticket, not so much The upgrade to an adult ticket with the same entitlements is free. It also isn't required, but if the guest is 26 years old, you might get less looks.

Ah...wait, is this it?

Looks like it was a kind of voucher that could then be turned in for an actual ticket, sold prior to the opening of Disney-MGM Studios...as a voucher, if you try and use it they may want to retain part of it, so you'd have to ask for it back - but they'd likely have to mark it as used - and THAT could devalue it.

If there is something resembling ticket information codes on it, then they might not need to mark it (it would be shown as used in the ATS computer).
    Last edited by doconeill; 04-05-2011 at 05:11 PM.
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

I am curious some day what they will offer for the Discovery Island and Pleasure Island non expiring add ons along with the River Country's. At least with River Country there is something similar.

We have a drawer where we keep our old but still good passes that still have days on them along with my 4 ticket booklets from Disney's original admission system. It would be funny to see what the offer would be for a booklet that has 3/4 of its tickets left in it.

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    I am curious some day what they will offer for the Discovery Island and Pleasure Island non expiring add ons along with the River Country's. At least with River Country there is something similar.

We have a drawer where we keep our old but still good passes that still have days on them along with my 4 ticket booklets from Disney's original admission system. It would be funny to see what the offer would be for a booklet that has 3/4 of its tickets left in it.
    A round of gold at Oak Trail (9-hole "executive" course) was added on to the "plus" list when PI was removed. Not exactly a substitute, but it's what they did.

I actually don't know what they'd do if someone presented a ticket from a ticket book...I think at best they'd credit you the 50 cents or whatever towards a ticket
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

trickster is offline Hakuna Matata!!... It means no worries!!

Hello and welcome!!
    Rich

"Most of my life I have done what I wanted to do. I have had fun on the job.
    I have never been able to confine that fun to office hours." ~ Walt Disney

Jiminy Cricket is offline Ultimate Park "Hopper"
    1,015; 2 miles from WDW in Central Indiana; Windermere FL

Welcome to the boards!!!
    Lord High Keeper of the Knowledge of Right and Wrong, Counselor in Moments of Temptation, and Guide along the Straight and Narrow Path and Oldest Active DWT/WDW Radio Member

DL: 1955* (1); WDW: 1977* (2), 1980* (2), 1985* (3), 1989* (3), 1996 (ASMu-3), 1999 (ASMo-3), 2000 (ASMu-2/PO-2), 2001 (ASMu-5), 2002 (ASMu-5), 2003 (ASMo-5), 2004* (8), 2004 (ASMo-8), 2005 (PC-10), 2006* (15), 2007* (20), 2008* (22), 2009* (26), 2010* (27), 2011* (32), 2012* (39), 2013* (36), 2013* (15), 2013* (9), 2013* (13), 2014* (40) Total Trips/Days = 26/353

*Off Property