Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Introduce Yourself! Discuss Hello from NW Illinois! in the WDWRadio.com forums; Hi everyone! My name is Joey and I am from Northwest Illinois. Soon to be relocating to central Illinois for medical school. I was introduced to the WDW Radio Show ...
    MedTG is offline A-Ticket holder

Smile Hello from NW Illinois!

Hi everyone! My name is Joey and I am from Northwest Illinois. Soon to be relocating to central Illinois for medical school. I was introduced to the WDW Radio Show about a year ago, and have been hooked ever since.

I was raised on classic Disney movies like Snow White, Mary Poppins, and The Jungle book; but I absolutely love the new movies and shows too. I have visited the parks almost every other year since I was born, although now that I am older I tend to go multiple times a year. I also love vinylmations and am an avid collector/trader. I also enjoy pins, but I do not trade them very often. In addition to Disney, I am an avid runner and reader.

Ultimately I hope to leave Illinois after med. school and get a residency in Florida. Then eventually live in the Orlando area, and fulfill my lifelong dream of being able to go to WDW anytime I want! I am super excited to finally be an active member of the forums. Hopefully one day I'll meet some of you at a WDW meet of the month!

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

Re: Hello from NW Illinois!

Welcome.

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Welcome! Being in Med school you will need to visit your happy place more often, good luck!

Will you be an Illini?
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Haha, I will indeed be an Illini. Or I suppose I should say I will once again be one. I did my undergrad work at U of I in Chicago, my masters in Urbana-Champaign, and am now going back to Urbana for med school. Are you an alum? By the way Gabe, I love the quote about friends and family!

WDW Daddy: Thanks for the welcome!

Disney05 is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Welcome!
    When you wish upon a star.....
    LAUGHTER IS TIMELESS, IMAGINATION HAS NO AGE AND DREAMS ARE FOREVER.
    Adults are only kids grown up, anyway. WD
    ...That's the real trouble with the world. Too many people grow up. WD
    "For those who get it, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't, no explanation will do."

http://wdwhomesick.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by MedTG View Post
    Haha, I will indeed be an Illini. Or I suppose I should say I will once again be one. I did my undergrad work at U of I in Chicago, my masters in Urbana-Champaign, and am now going back to Urbana for med school. Are you an alum? By the way Gabe, I love the quote about friends and family!

WDW Daddy: Thanks for the welcome!
    My husband is an Illini, my DD is currently doing her undergrad at Urbana-Champaign, I am Auggie. Oy, I would not want to add up your tuition bills.

Thanks. I tell that to myself all the time as I cope with my aging parents, but I recently forgot my motto and ran onto a plane to Disney World instead.

but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

You would actually be kind of surprised. For my masters I had a full tuition waiver and a stipend for being a grad assistant. I went to community college also, and only did my last two years of undergrad at UIC. So I am going into medical school without debt. Afterwards I will have plenty of debt, however. At least going to my state school will minimize it.

I can definitely relate somewhat on aging family. My grandparents both passed away in the past year, and that had been a struggle for quite awhile; taking care of them and just dealing with all the difficulties that come along with aging.

You would actually be kind of surprised. For my masters I had a full tuition waiver and a stipend for being a grad assistant. I went to community college also, and only did my last two years of undergrad at UIC. So I am going into medical school without debt. Afterwards I will have plenty of debt, however. At least going to my state school will minimize it.

I can definitely relate somewhat on aging family. My grandparents both passed away in the past year, and that had been a struggle for quite awhile; taking care of them and just dealing with all the difficulties that come along with aging.
    Hmmm....someday we will have discuss that Masters tuition wavier, grad assistant thingy. Currently the $30,000.00 a year minus a few scholarships is kill'n us/her. Money is tight at UoI now and she doesn't play football or basketball, lol.

I was in the library school, and happened to have a recreational interest in Russian and Eastern European languages. So I received an assistantship to be a cataloger in the Slavic Library there. It was a nice deal, especially since I only had to work 10-15 hours a week.

I know similar things exist in every department, but most other fields you would be a TA and most likely run a lab and/or lecture portion of a class. I am sure that stuff is very competitive though. Had I not gotten my assistantship I would not have gone to grad school. There are many reasons, but money was definitely a big one. I was there in 2008-2009, which was when the budget started to really be watched closely, and I know it is even more strict now. Hopefully she will find something!

I was in the library school, and happened to have a recreational interest in Russian and Eastern European languages. So I received an assistantship to be a cataloger in the Slavic Library there. It was a nice deal, especially since I only had to work 10-15 hours a week.

I know similar things exist in every department, but most other fields you would be a TA and most likely run a lab and/or lecture portion of a class. I am sure that stuff is very competitive though. Had I not gotten my assistantship I would not have gone to grad school. There are many reasons, but money was definitely a big one. I was there in 2008-2009, which was when the budget started to really be watched closely, and I know it is even more strict now. Hopefully she will find something!
    Oh wow. She did a course in Slavic her Freshman year but well after that. She had a very odd, kinda creapity instructor.

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    Oh wow. She did a course in Slavic her Freshman year but well after that. She had a very odd, kinda creapity instructor.
    I cannot say I am too surprised. I audited a few classes in Urbana-Champaign in an attempt to keep up my Russian knowledge, but I found the department there to be a bit lackluster. The department in Chicago was awesome though. Very welcoming and not creepy. Learning Russian was one of the most random and best decisions I ever made. I actually received Fulbright money and studied abroad there, all expenses paid, one summer. Plus it got me my assistantship. I guess you just never know when those seemingly trivial skills will come in handy.

nicholas is offline Lost in my house

IH i'm nicholas. i'm 12 i know right. my mom is an Illini too.

Thanks for stopping by to say hi Nicholas!

WDW1014 is offline Fastpass Holder

Welcome !!!!!
    Visits:
    91= Grand Floridan 01= All Star Sports 11= Music
    92= Grand Floridan 02= All Star Movies 12= Movies
    93= Caribbean Beach 03= Old Key West 13= Sports
    94= All Star Sports 04= Pop Century 14= Sports / Sports
    95= French Quarter 05= Pop Century
    96= Dixie Landing 06= Grand Floridan
    97= All Star Music 07= All Star Sports
    98= All Star Sports 08= Pop Century
    99= All Star Movies 09= All Star Sports
    00= All Star Music 10= All Star Music

trickster is offline Hakuna Matata!!... It means no worries!!

Hello and welcome Joey!
    Rich

"Most of my life I have done what I wanted to do. I have had fun on the job.
    I have never been able to confine that fun to office hours." ~ Walt Disney

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast