Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
Introduce Yourself! Discuss Hello from NW Illinois! in the WDWRadio.com forums; Hi everyone! My name is Joey and I am from Northwest Illinois. Soon to be relocating to central Illinois for medical school. I was introduced to the WDW Radio Show ...
  1. #1
    MedTG's Avatar
    MedTG is offline A-Ticket holder
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    26

    Smile Hello from NW Illinois!

    Hi everyone! My name is Joey and I am from Northwest Illinois. Soon to be relocating to central Illinois for medical school. I was introduced to the WDW Radio Show about a year ago, and have been hooked ever since.

    I was raised on classic Disney movies like Snow White, Mary Poppins, and The Jungle book; but I absolutely love the new movies and shows too. I have visited the parks almost every other year since I was born, although now that I am older I tend to go multiple times a year. I also love vinylmations and am an avid collector/trader. I also enjoy pins, but I do not trade them very often. In addition to Disney, I am an avid runner and reader.

    Ultimately I hope to leave Illinois after med. school and get a residency in Florida. Then eventually live in the Orlando area, and fulfill my lifelong dream of being able to go to WDW anytime I want! I am super excited to finally be an active member of the forums. Hopefully one day I'll meet some of you at a WDW meet of the month!

  2. #2
    NC_WDW_Daddy's Avatar
    NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Richlands, NC
    Posts
    3,335

    Re: Hello from NW Illinois!

    Welcome.

  3. #3
    HauntedGabe's Avatar
    HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Hamlet, IL
    Posts
    27,296

    Re: Hello from NW Illinois!

    Welcome! Being in Med school you will need to visit your happy place more often, good luck!

    Will you be an Illini?
    Some people are like Slinkies.

    They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

    Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

  4. #4
    MedTG's Avatar
    MedTG is offline A-Ticket holder
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    26

    Re: Hello from NW Illinois!

    Haha, I will indeed be an Illini. Or I suppose I should say I will once again be one. I did my undergrad work at U of I in Chicago, my masters in Urbana-Champaign, and am now going back to Urbana for med school. Are you an alum? By the way Gabe, I love the quote about friends and family!

    WDW Daddy: Thanks for the welcome!

  5. #5
    Disney05's Avatar
    Disney05 is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    5,951

    Re: Hello from NW Illinois!

    Welcome!
    When you wish upon a star.....
    LAUGHTER IS TIMELESS, IMAGINATION HAS NO AGE AND DREAMS ARE FOREVER.
    Adults are only kids grown up, anyway. WD
    ...That's the real trouble with the world. Too many people grow up. WD
    "For those who get it, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't, no explanation will do."


    http://wdwhomesick.wordpress.com/

  6. #6
    HauntedGabe's Avatar
    HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Hamlet, IL
    Posts
    27,296

    Re: Hello from NW Illinois!

    Quote Originally Posted by MedTG View Post
    Haha, I will indeed be an Illini. Or I suppose I should say I will once again be one. I did my undergrad work at U of I in Chicago, my masters in Urbana-Champaign, and am now going back to Urbana for med school. Are you an alum? By the way Gabe, I love the quote about friends and family!

    WDW Daddy: Thanks for the welcome!
    My husband is an Illini, my DD is currently doing her undergrad at Urbana-Champaign, I am Auggie. Oy, I would not want to add up your tuition bills.

    Thanks. I tell that to myself all the time as I cope with my aging parents, but I recently forgot my motto and ran onto a plane to Disney World instead.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

    They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

    Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

  7. #7
    MedTG's Avatar
    MedTG is offline A-Ticket holder
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    26

    Re: Hello from NW Illinois!

    You would actually be kind of surprised. For my masters I had a full tuition waiver and a stipend for being a grad assistant. I went to community college also, and only did my last two years of undergrad at UIC. So I am going into medical school without debt. Afterwards I will have plenty of debt, however. At least going to my state school will minimize it.

    I can definitely relate somewhat on aging family. My grandparents both passed away in the past year, and that had been a struggle for quite awhile; taking care of them and just dealing with all the difficulties that come along with aging.

  8. #8
    HauntedGabe's Avatar
    HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Hamlet, IL
    Posts
    27,296

    Re: Hello from NW Illinois!

    Quote Originally Posted by MedTG View Post
    You would actually be kind of surprised. For my masters I had a full tuition waiver and a stipend for being a grad assistant. I went to community college also, and only did my last two years of undergrad at UIC. So I am going into medical school without debt. Afterwards I will have plenty of debt, however. At least going to my state school will minimize it.

    I can definitely relate somewhat on aging family. My grandparents both passed away in the past year, and that had been a struggle for quite awhile; taking care of them and just dealing with all the difficulties that come along with aging.
    Hmmm....someday we will have discuss that Masters tuition wavier, grad assistant thingy. Currently the $30,000.00 a year minus a few scholarships is kill'n us/her. Money is tight at UoI now and she doesn't play football or basketball, lol.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

    They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

    Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

  9. #9
    MedTG's Avatar
    MedTG is offline A-Ticket holder
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    26

    Re: Hello from NW Illinois!

    I was in the library school, and happened to have a recreational interest in Russian and Eastern European languages. So I received an assistantship to be a cataloger in the Slavic Library there. It was a nice deal, especially since I only had to work 10-15 hours a week.

    I know similar things exist in every department, but most other fields you would be a TA and most likely run a lab and/or lecture portion of a class. I am sure that stuff is very competitive though. Had I not gotten my assistantship I would not have gone to grad school. There are many reasons, but money was definitely a big one. I was there in 2008-2009, which was when the budget started to really be watched closely, and I know it is even more strict now. Hopefully she will find something!

  10. #10
    HauntedGabe's Avatar
    HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Hamlet, IL
    Posts
    27,296

    Re: Hello from NW Illinois!

    Quote Originally Posted by MedTG View Post
    I was in the library school, and happened to have a recreational interest in Russian and Eastern European languages. So I received an assistantship to be a cataloger in the Slavic Library there. It was a nice deal, especially since I only had to work 10-15 hours a week.

    I know similar things exist in every department, but most other fields you would be a TA and most likely run a lab and/or lecture portion of a class. I am sure that stuff is very competitive though. Had I not gotten my assistantship I would not have gone to grad school. There are many reasons, but money was definitely a big one. I was there in 2008-2009, which was when the budget started to really be watched closely, and I know it is even more strict now. Hopefully she will find something!
    Oh wow. She did a course in Slavic her Freshman year but well after that. She had a very odd, kinda creapity instructor.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

    They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

    Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

  11. #11
    MedTG's Avatar
    MedTG is offline A-Ticket holder
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    26

    Re: Hello from NW Illinois!

    Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    Oh wow. She did a course in Slavic her Freshman year but well after that. She had a very odd, kinda creapity instructor.
    I cannot say I am too surprised. I audited a few classes in Urbana-Champaign in an attempt to keep up my Russian knowledge, but I found the department there to be a bit lackluster. The department in Chicago was awesome though. Very welcoming and not creepy. Learning Russian was one of the most random and best decisions I ever made. I actually received Fulbright money and studied abroad there, all expenses paid, one summer. Plus it got me my assistantship. I guess you just never know when those seemingly trivial skills will come in handy.

  12. #12
    nicholas's Avatar
    nicholas is offline Lost in my house
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    3,376

    Re: Hello from NW Illinois!

    IH i'm nicholas. i'm 12 i know right. my mom is an Illini too.

  13. #13
    MedTG's Avatar
    MedTG is offline A-Ticket holder
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    26

    Re: Hello from NW Illinois!

    Thanks for stopping by to say hi Nicholas!

  14. #14
    WDW1014's Avatar
    WDW1014 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Long Island, New York
    Posts
    394

    Re: Hello from NW Illinois!

    Welcome !!!!!
    Visits:
    91= Grand Floridan 01= All Star Sports 11= Music
    92= Grand Floridan 02= All Star Movies 12= Movies
    93= Caribbean Beach 03= Old Key West 13= Sports
    94= All Star Sports 04= Pop Century 14= Sports / Sports
    95= French Quarter 05= Pop Century
    96= Dixie Landing 06= Grand Floridan
    97= All Star Music 07= All Star Sports
    98= All Star Sports 08= Pop Century
    99= All Star Movies 09= All Star Sports
    00= All Star Music 10= All Star Music


  15. #15
    trickster's Avatar
    trickster is offline Hakuna Matata!!... It means no worries!!
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Lancaster - NW England
    Posts
    45,918

    Re: Hello from NW Illinois!

    Hello and welcome Joey!
    Rich

    "Most of my life I have done what I wanted to do. I have had fun on the job.
    I have never been able to confine that fun to office hours." ~ Walt Disney

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Hello from Southern Illinois
    By mrsksomeday in forum Introduce Yourself!
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 07-08-2011, 12:51 PM
  2. Hi from Illinois
    By Chattycathy228 in forum Introduce Yourself!
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-10-2009, 12:52 PM
  3. Northern Illinois University Students
    By Stitch in forum Prayers & Pixie Dust
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 03-15-2008, 11:41 PM
  4. Hello from Illinois
    By BelleBeast in forum Introduce Yourself!
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-02-2005, 02:53 PM
  5. hi from central Illinois!
    By FanOfDisney1981 in forum Introduce Yourself!
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-10-2004, 07:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •