Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Latest WDW Radio Articles Discuss Welcome to... Duckburg? "Duckburg? I thought it was Mickey's Birthdayland!?" in the Site News and Information forums; Welcome to . . . Duckburg? "Duckburg? I thought it was Mickey's Birthdayland!?" That was a comment I heard more than once when I visited the Magic Kingdom back in ...
    Lou Mongello is online now Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - Disney Expert, Host, Author, Speaker and Entrepreneur

Arrow Welcome to... Duckburg? "Duckburg? I thought it was Mickey's Birthdayland!?"

Welcome to . . . Duckburg? "Duckburg? I thought it was Mickey's Birthdayland!?" That was a comment I heard more than once when I visited the Magic Kingdom back in 1988 and 1989. As the Mickey?s Birthdayland Express rolled into a newly built train station just beyond Tomorrowland, guests first caught sight of this interesting billboard: "Duckburg? Mickey's a mouse! Shouldn't this be Mouse Town? Mouseville? Mouseburg?" Even the most out-of-touch tourist in 1988 could surmise that Duckburg was clearly the home of Donald Duck. And they would be right. Duckburg had sprang from the imagination of comic book writer/artist extraordinaire Carl Barks, over forty years before Imagineers hastily built Mickey?s Birthdayland to celebrate the mouse?s 60th birthday. In the comics, Duckburg was the home of Scrooge McDuck, Huey, Dewey and Louie, Daisy Duck, Gyro Gearloose and numerous other colorful characters. Except Mickey Mouse. In fact, according to the mouse?s most famous comic book adventure, "Mickey Mouse Outwits the Phantom Blot", Mickey resides in the town of Mouseville. It?s no wonder poor Donald resorted to vandalism when he first beheld that sign honoring Duckburg's "most famous citizen."

More...
    Last edited by Lou Mongello; 01-18-2007 at 10:52 AM.

crcormier is offline A-Ticket holder
    Excellent article. Thanks, Lou!

JEANYLASER33 is offline C-Ticket Holder
    MIAMI,FL ARE PLANNING TO MOVE TO ORLANDO,FLORIDA
    That is my favorite Mickey Mouse comics Mickey Outwits the Phantom Blot!

dxer07002 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Thanks for the article Lou.....
    TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...
    BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Kellie19891992 is offline Annual Passholder
    Interesting article

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    Great article, Lou. Thanks.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

disneyfanatic101 is offline Trying to Get Back Into the Swing of Things!
    Great article, Lou!
    Adam ~ A Proud D23 Charter Member!

MickeyspalJim is offline Fastpass Holder
    Great story Lou. I remember going down there in 1988 and going into Mickey's Birthday land and seeing the suprise party in the tent. It was alot of fun. We also had photos taken in the dressing room with Mickey. That is where My oldest son fell in Love with Mickey. As We were leaving the Tent we Met the then CEO of Disney Michael Isner. He was very friendly with the boys and shook our hands, even though You could see by the large group of big wigs that They were ready to move on. Must have been sometime in the summer of 1988.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    11 Pre-DVC Trips to WDW 8-1978 through 12-2006.

Our DVC/Disney Resort trips have been:

Trip #1 (Jan 31-Feb 5-07) SSR. Studio.
    Trip #2 (May 1- 8-07) OKW. Studio.
    Trip #3 (June 26-July 1-07) SSR. 1 Bdrm.
    Trip #4 (Sept 16-21-07) OKW. 1 & 2 Bdrm.
    Trip #5 (Nov 29-Dec 3-07) AKL.
    Trip #6 (Jan 26-Feb 2-08) AKL. Studio.
    Trip #7 (April 12-18-08) SSR. 1 Bdrm.
    Trip #8 (May 23-27-08) SSR. Studio.
    Trip # 9(May 27-30-08) OKW. Studio.
    Trip # 10(Sept 10-17-08) BWV. Studio
    Trip # 11 (Nov 15-21-08) VWL. 2 Bdrm.
    Trip # 12 (Dec 19-21-08) SSR. Studio.
    Trip # 13(Feb 1-6-09) SSR. 2 Bdrm.
    Trip # 14(Feb 27-Mar 1-09) AKV Studio
    Trip # 15(Apr 30-May 8-09) ASR Movies-1 nite, PO Riverside- 4 nites, SSR Studio 3 nites
    Trip # 16(July 6th-10th-09)Pop Century
    Trip # 17(Sept 18th-24th-2009)Pop Century
    Trip #18(Oct 10th-16th 2009) ASR Music-1 nite, SSR Treehouses 5 nites
    Trip #19(Jan 20th-26th 2010) OKW-4 nites, Bch Club Studio Villa 2 nites
    Trip #20(Apr 23rd-26th 2010) Caribbean Beach Resort
    Trip #21(June 18th-25th 2010) POR 2 nites, SSR 2bdrm Villa 5 Nites.

SlpngBeauty is offline D-Ticket Holder
    I think I was a teen when my parents took my brother and I to Disney World. Everytime they would ask where we were going on vacation...Magic Kingdom!! My poor folks NEVER got to go to Epcot like they wanted! Anyways, we went to Mickey's Birthdayland, and saw the party where the birthday cake kind of "exploded" on Goofy in the oven. There was "smoke" and I remember this thick scent of vanilla. Like cupcakes! OH! We came out of there so hungry! But could you believe they were selling them at a little cart outside the tent?! They knew what they were doing! My brother (7 years younger than I) was so excited that he got to take home a bunch of the confetti with us that fell from the sky. It was so excited and upbeat...kind of eighties...SH! Oh well. Anyways, Nov '06 I took my kids on their first trip to Disney and we paid my parents way in to Epcot finally! Their first trip there was with their grandkids. I was quite surprised to find out that Birthdayland dissappeared not long after that. My fave memories from Dis: that wonderful vanilla cupcake smell and the waffle fries you could only get at Pecos Bills!
    ...I SHOULD be in bed right now...
    ...but I like deh cookie
    **SUPER BIG DISNEY FAN**