Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Miscellaneous Discuss Do kids know Disney characters anymore? in the News & Rumors forums; Today i went to see Meet the Robinsons in 3-D ( Which was awesome ) and they showed the original "Working for Peanuts" in 3-D as a tribute to Walt ...
    disneyfan1329 is offline A-Ticket holder

Unhappy Do kids know Disney characters anymore?

Today i went to see Meet the Robinsons in 3-D ( Which was awesome ) and they showed the original "Working for Peanuts" in 3-D as a tribute to Walt and wanting it in 3-D.
    Well during this part i had overheard some lets say 8 year olds saying "Who are these characters?" I was stunned, i could not believe my ears, i had thought i heard wrong, so i kept listening.
    More into the conversation they had though and finally figured out by the end of the short, that the duck was Donald!!! Of course they didnt know who Chip and Dale was. I was still of course stunned, espically since they have these characters in DIsney World.
    So here is my question...
    Do you think Disney is focusing too much on introducing new characters instead of keeping some of the old ones still in play?
    Please message me back! I need to know the answer to this one!!!!!

Come and see my VMK central podcast:
    http://vmkcentral.mypodcast.com/

Hakuna Matata is offline Yo Ho Yo Ho a pirates life for me!
    Wishing on a star for my prince to come...
    gah! that is just ridiculous! I am going to make sure my children know who all the disney characters are, not just the new ones
    It's our problem-free philosophy Hakuna Matata!
    I've been to Disney World 22 times and can't wait to go back!

yo ho yo ho a pirates life for me!

gonesouthin is offline Let me be.... YOUR HIGH FIBER
    yikees... thats weird... Donald supirses me... whats the world coming too
    Life isn't about the destination, everybody gets to that. It is about the journey.

Download my Disney Toolbar! It has links to tons of great disney sites like this one!!!

Brian_WDW74 is offline C-Ticket Holder
    I think Disney is doing a good job of trying to rectify this with "Mickey Mouse Clubhouse" and "House of Mouse." Both shows feature the Fab Six. I doubt there are many preschoolers who aren't familiar with "meeska, mooska, Mickey Mouse!" Not the ones with cable TV, anyway.

*Brian*

nicks10 is offline @nick_straka
    Wow, thats suprising. I think Disney is trying to reintroduce the fab 5 again. If there was a full length feature film made with some of fab 5 that would make them more recognizable to kids. lol, I cant believe I just said that, I dont get how kids cannot know who Donald Duck is!!!! Not knowing Chip and Dale even suprises me!!!
    -Nick

"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy"

TinkAttitude is offline grumpy too
    my 8 year old and 4 year old are seasoned disney visitors, but also watched a lot of 'house of mouse' and now 'mickey mouse clubhouse' along with some other classic disney toons and they surely know the fab 5 and others... their friends know the original disney gang too... i think it would be weird for kids that age to not know of these characters... but that's just me, and i'm definitely a self-proclaimed disney snob...

aeronautxearth is offline Meeska, Mouska, Mickey Mouse!
    Okay, I think there is some validity to this, because I get really ticked off when people come up to my character friends not knowing who they are (even if it's a character that has been created w/in the past 10 years) and then as my friends sign, they ask quietly to those around them, "who is this again?"...and THEN they try and decipher the autograph to see who it is. It erks me, because my friends go to school for a long time to learn how to write and to spell, and these people can't even recognize the major characters! I'm a snob to the extreme-o.
    Tina

Chrissy&Tayen is offline counting down to my vacation
    tayen knew the mouse early on.. but her entire room was done is classic disney style!! all the classic movies... i really wish more movies would come out with the the classic charters..
    All Star Sports July 2006
    All Star Movies October 2007
    Coronado Spring February 2010
    Pop Century October 2010
    All Star Movies September 2011
    Pop Century September 2012
    Chrissy

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    I think it really depends on if the parents introduce the kids to watching more of the Disney Channel than the cartoon network. My daughter grew up on Sesame Street and Disney. I miss the Wonderful World of Disney. Since I haven't had small children around the house for a number of years, some of the newer characters have gone under my radar. (Don't tell Rich about someone not knowing Donald Duck. You won't want to be responsible for his response in this family friendly environment.)
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

Quote Originally Posted by mini-V View Post
    I miss the Wonderful World of Disney.
    I think they have a dvd set out called, "Your Host, Walt Disney" and it has some WWoD stuff on it. It comes in a tin box. I have the Pluto set, and all the cartoons are great. You should treat yourself! Hahaaha!
    Tina

Chrissy&Tayen is offline counting down to my vacation
    Quote Originally Posted by aeronautxearth View Post
    I think they have a dvd set out called, "Your Host, Walt Disney" and it has some WWoD stuff on it. It comes in a tin box. I have the Pluto set, and all the cartoons are great. You should treat yourself! Hahaaha!

thanks for the info.. because i have often wondered why they dont show that anymore i loved it
    All Star Sports July 2006
    All Star Movies October 2007
    Coronado Spring February 2010
    Pop Century October 2010
    All Star Movies September 2011
    Pop Century September 2012
    Chrissy

My 6 year old and 2 year old know all of the Disney characters, but I introduced all of them to them very early on. Unfortunately there are a lot of adults who do not even know the characters. If I had a dollar for everytime I heard someone at the parks ask who a character was or call them by an incorrect name....I would have a all expense paid trip to the World this year! When we were there this past June I heard a lady say to her Son during a parade, "there's Scooby Doo!". It was Pluto.

Tinker Bell is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    Quote Originally Posted by disneydreamer98 View Post
    When we were there this past June I heard a lady say to her Son during a parade, "there's Scooby Doo!". It was Pluto.
    LOL!

My kids also know the fab 5 (Lickey Mouse is what Matthew calls Mickey) and slowly they are learning about all the other characters as they get into the pile of classic movies we have on tape and DVD.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker Bell View Post
    Lickey Mouse is what Matthew calls Mickey
    Too cute!
    Tina

firemedic is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    I'm doing my best to keep my kids WELL versed in everything Disney. My two year old daughter can name just about any Disney character she sees I'm proud to say!

You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.
    Walt Disney

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast