Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Miscellaneous Discuss Books Disney should turn into Animated Classics? in the News & Rumors forums; I just recently finished reading Kingdom Keepers (i know, i know...i'm late to the party on that one), and the whole time, i kept thinking "this would make an AWESOME ...
    WV_Jayola is offline A-Ticket holder

Books Disney should turn into Animated Classics?

I just recently finished reading Kingdom Keepers (i know, i know...i'm late to the party on that one), and the whole time, i kept thinking "this would make an AWESOME live action Disney movie"...

THAT, in turn, got me to thinking about all the classic books in the past that the Disney Company has turned into ANIMATED classics....

and THAT, in turn....got me to thinking.... what books NOW would I love to see get the Disney Animated treatment...

One book immeditately comes to mind. Jeff Smith's "Bone" saga. This graphic novel is one of the best things i've read in YEARS, and I highly recommend it to everyone. The general feeling it gives is EPIC Lord of the Rings style fantasy meets CLASSIC Disney-esque characters. I keep dreaming of the day i click on one of the news sites and see "Disney signs Jeff Smith's BONE for development.". Seriously, GO READ THIS EPIC BOOK!!! lol

So what books would you guys like to see get turned into an Animated Classic?

jeff.

coasterfreak516 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by WV_Jayola View Post
    I just recently finished reading Kingdom Keepers (i know, i know...i'm late to the party on that one), and the whole time, i kept thinking "this would make an AWESOME live action Disney movie"...

jeff.
    Yes I totally agree with you Jeff. I am in the middle of it and I was thinking about it myself but the problem is making it out to actually be the magic kingdom park and keep the kids enjoy the park after watching it.

ohiodisneydad is offline Hi, my name is David and I like Beverly.
    So this book is pretty good huh? I saw it at my local target yesterday and almost picked it up but I thought I'd come talk to the DWT family to see if it was any good. Looks like I'm heading back out to get it this week.
    "Life is an occassion. Rise to it."- Mr. Magorium
    "Welcome Home"- Best words you'll ever hear when you check in at a Disney Resort

Veritas is offline Real Men Dig the Mouse
    There are a series of books by David Eddings, the Belgariad, the Redemption of Althus, that would make good movies. The characters are very human, foibles and strengths, the plots have a good mix of comedy, drama, action and magic. These are a cut above the usual sword and scorcery books, and would translate well into screen.
    Last edited by Veritas; 08-16-2007 at 09:32 AM.
    Veri S&B LLC WHAFTFCOL

SITTM, No Retreat, No Surrender!

Our Highly Trained Experts Are Always Prepared To "Assist" You.

Quote Originally Posted by coasterfreak516 View Post
    Yes I totally agree with you Jeff. I am in the middle of it and I was thinking about it myself but the problem is making it out to actually be the magic kingdom park and keep the kids enjoy the park after watching it.
    Yeah, the whole It's A Small World scene is potentially as frightening as it gets...hah hah

i suppose Disney would be a tad bit reluctant to make some of their rides/the park seem threatening.

Regardless, I hear rumor of Kingdom Keepers 2 coming soon. I can only hope. I want more of Finn and the DHI's adventures. Also, the guy that wrote this apparently wrote a VERY good book called Peter and the Shadow Thieves. It's a re-telling of the Peter Pan mythos, and my bookstore employed friend told me that MANY people come in requesting it, and say that it's better than ANY of the Harry Potter books. It is next on my To Read list.

jeff.

Quote Originally Posted by Veritas View Post
    There are a series of books by David Eddings, the belgariad, the redemption of Althus, that would make good moives. The chracters are very human, foibles and strengths, the plots have a good mix of comedy, drama, action and magic. These are a cut above the usual sword and scorcery books, and would translate well into screen.

hmm....i'll have to check into these. but ONLY if you guys check into BONE!!! hah hah

don't mean to be a schill, but i feel so strongly about this story, and how it would connect with Disney fans.

jeff.

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    I finally finished "Kingdom Keepers". It was OK. I can't seem to put my finger on what I felt was missing, but it didn't grab me as I expected it to do. I have to agree that making park rides threatening wouldn't interest the Disney Co. I'm sorry that I don't have a suggestion for a new movie. I haven't read anything recently that would fit that description.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

Stitch is offline Blogger, Artist, Creative Genius
    There was a book I found in our attic that my mom read and it might be older than her. It was called "Friendship Valley" and I've always wanted to see that done by Disney. The princess and the pea would be a good one too.

coasterfreak516 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Regardless, I hear rumor of Kingdom Keepers 2 coming soon. I can only hope. I want more of Finn and the DHI's adventures. Also, the guy that wrote this apparently wrote a VERY good book called Peter and the Shadow Thieves. It's a re-telling of the Peter Pan mythos, and my bookstore employed friend told me that MANY people come in requesting it, and say that it's better than ANY of the Harry Potter books. It is next on my To Read list.

jeff.
    I will get this book too. Disney COULD make the film Kingdom Keepers but change it so it isn't a Disney park but have similar attractions. Granted it wont be the same but still.

quick update:

Peter and the Shadow Thieves is actually a sequel! The first book in this series is Peter and the Starcatchers. I picked it up today, and am going to start reading it tonight. I will post my thoughts on it after I am finished. Then I'll get the Shadow Thieves one.

anyone else read either of these books? I know that Lou is a big fan of Peter Pan from the podcasts, so I'm betting that he'd be into these since they are officially Disney Press released Peter Pan Prequels.... Lou?

jeff.
    Last edited by WV_Jayola; 07-26-2007 at 01:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mini-V View Post
    I finally finished "Kingdom Keepers". It was OK. I can't seem to put my finger on what I felt was missing, but it didn't grab me as I expected it to do. I have to agree that making park rides threatening wouldn't interest the Disney Co. I'm sorry that I don't have a suggestion for a new movie. I haven't read anything recently that would fit that description.
    They could make this similar to Night at the Museum. The attractions wouldn't be bad they could just be living up to their design!
    "Welcome Home"- Best words you'll ever hear when you check in at a Disney Resort

Kingdom Keepers Question

OK, I have a question about part of this book. I just finished it and if you haven't read it then STOP READING because I am going to ask a SPOILER question. Once Finn figured out Amanda's secret he said he should have known all along. Who did Amanda and Jez represent? Is there a set of Disney characters that I am forgetting about that these two were supposed to be. Other then that...great book!

Shere_Khan is offline As the world falls down...
    quick update:

Peter and the Shadow Thieves is actually a sequel! The first book in this series is Peter and the Starcatchers. I picked it up today, and am going to start reading it tonight. I will post my thoughts on it after I am finished. Then I'll get the Shadow Thieves one.

anyone else read either of these books? I know that Lou is a big fan of Peter Pan from the podcasts, so I'm betting that he'd be into these since they are officially Disney Press released Peter Pan Prequels.... Lou?

jeff.

I've read both of them and they are both wonderfully beautiful enchanting stories.
    I recommend them over and over again!

"Almost everyone is mad here. You may have noticed that I'm not all there myself." - Chesire Cat

"You have spirit for one so small, and that spirit deserves a fighting chance." - Shere Khan

j_scott_o is offline B-Ticket Holder
    A couple books I wish Disney would turn into animated features are Beowulf and Animal Farm. The Beowulf would make for a great hero epic with some cool monsters. Animal Farm, on the other hand, despite the deep meaning of the story, could be laced with some great new animal characters.

satijp is offline Fastpass Holder
    One book immeditately comes to mind. Jeff Smith's "Bone" saga. This graphic novel is one of the best things i've read in YEARS, and I highly recommend it to everyone. The general feeling it gives is EPIC Lord of the Rings style fantasy meets CLASSIC Disney-esque characters. I keep dreaming of the day i click on one of the news sites and see "Disney signs Jeff Smith's BONE for development.". Seriously, GO READ THIS EPIC BOOK!!! lol
    Stupid, stupid rat creatures!!!

I've got 30-40 of the comics, plus a few of the books that they reprinted from the comics.