Your Walt Disney World Information Station

View Poll Results: Should they update Carousel of Progress or not?

Voters
17. This poll is closed
  • Update COP

10 58.82%
  • Leave COP as it is!

7 41.18%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Miscellaneous Discuss What's your opinion on updating Carousel of Progress? in the News & Rumors forums; I got in this HUGEEE argument with a few people today at work about whether or not they should update the end of Carousel of Progress, since it's considered an ...
    Ayhab is offline D-Ticket Holder

Question What's your opinion on updating Carousel of Progress?

I got in this HUGEEE argument with a few people today at work about whether or not they should update the end of Carousel of Progress, since it's considered an "Out of date" idea of the future. My opinion was that it should be kept the same since it was Walt's idea of the future. Everyone else felt it should be updated with a modern idea of the future. Like flying cars, robot maids, and everything being controlled by a single button. What's your opinion?
    Ayhab the Arab
    It's amazing to think that this all started with one little mouse.

disneydarling is offline ...and the mome raths outgrabe
    I think they should change the "future" scene to the "1990's" since that is when most of those technologies were invented and add another spoke for the distant future

I'm not positive on this, but pretty sure that the final scene was added after Walts death anyways so it may not have been his vision per se
    Sisterhood of the traveling pirate in the pants: charter member

A friend will help you mend a broken heart; a best friend will get a shovel and help you dig the hole.

albino_pygmy is offline The voice of the Jungle
    I thought they've mentioned in the pre-show how the final scene has been 'updated' and not the original to keep up with the current times. Plus, if you want to see 'the future' as part of CoP, it was called Horizons and would be nice to have that back *cough*HINT HINT*cough cough* If they were to 'add another spoke,' you'd run into one of two problems: 1) removing the first scene by pushing everything back or removing or merging scenes together to make room, or 2) adding the new final scene in the unload theatre and then having people load and unload at the same time which at first doesn't sound like a problem because it doesn't draw in crowds, but still, you'll be surprised how much time it takes for people to sit down which could result in show delays for everyone else which could be a nightmare. Just think as you're watching CoP and they're about to go into their song and then suddenly cut off with the usual "Please stay seated, the ride has stopped momentarily and will resume at any minute" each and every show scene. You might get lucky and have a group of people that knows how to sit down in time and you get a portion of the show that blends together

princessariel is offline Fastpass Holder
    I agree with changing the future scene
    Summer '83-Off Site

Dec '95- Shades Of Green

March '03-All Star Movies

March '06-All Star Movies

October '07-POFQ

March '10-POFQ

March '13 POFQ

June '14 POFQ

Nov'14 All Star Sports-F&WF W&D 1/2 Marathon!

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    The show has actually changed several times over the years, and honestly I think the current 'today' ending is just out of place - they jump from the 1940's to the 1990's and Grandma's still kicking? Excuse me, I'll have whatever she's drinking, thank you! (OK, so the kids didn't exactly age 20 years per scene in the first part, either; it would make more sense if the son in the first scene was the father in the second, but I digress)

I've wondered if they couldn't do a short closing scene about what might lie ahead - not long enough to impact the unload from that room. Just the father maybe and a quick "look what may come our way in our Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow." There may not be room in the center section for a 5th stage.

I love the whole idea of CoP and how well it was executed. Kids come away with a better feel for how things were in the 'old' days (hey, kids, that looks EXACTLY like your grandmother's kitchen in the house your dad grew up in) and it's nice to get that reminder of how far things have come. It's told with just the right amount of humor to keep it from being dull, and delivers a nice snapshot of history in very short bits. But while it worked to have '00, '20, '40, and 'today' when today was 1964, I can't see it working with '00, '20, '40 and '07.
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

I'd love to see how today was is 1964
    Summer '83-Off Site

Dec '95- Shades Of Green

October '07-POFQ

March '10-POFQ

March '13 POFQ

June '14 POFQ

Debbie-Habba is offline C-Ticket Holder
    This is one of my favorite attractions @ WDW , I would not change a thing!

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom-Morrow"

Veritas is offline Real Men Dig the Mouse
    Do the last scene to show the average home in 2000 a this was the American family at the beginning of the new Millenium type thing.
    Veri S&B LLC WHAFTFCOL

SITTM, No Retreat, No Surrender!

Our Highly Trained Experts Are Always Prepared To "Assist" You.

Quote Originally Posted by Veritas View Post
    Do the last scene to show the average home in 2000 a this was the American family at the beginning of the new Millenium type thing.
    great idea!
    Summer '83-Off Site

Dec '95- Shades Of Green

October '07-POFQ

March '10-POFQ

March '13 POFQ

June '14 POFQ

Tinker Bell is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    I think the last scene was updated between my '84 and '95 visits because I remember chuckling when I noticed my lamp in that last scene in 1995! I would love to see the original scene that Walt had created. Bring back '64!

nicks10 is offline @nick_straka
    Updating the final scene a bit may work, but nothing huge, maybe just update some of the technologies in the house but thats it.
    -Nick

"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy"

Tikikrissy is offline C-Ticket Holder
    I agree with Nick10 and the others - they should update the gadgets/computer/video game, etc, and maybe upgrade the house (granite counter tops, "pottery barn-esque" furniture).
    I think they can keep the integrity of the scene - but the idea was to keep showing the future - so the future must be up to date!

tarynkelly is offline Waiting for Paris Mousemeet in Dec 2009!!!!! Woo Hoo
    Scurrying back to my closet before Debs catches me!!
    I too would love to see this as it was in the 60's!!

Ayhab is offline D-Ticket Holder
    YA!!! I think seeing the original CoP would be cool. Get that good ol' vibe from it.
    Ayhab the Arab
    It's amazing to think that this all started with one little mouse.

mattj4226 is offline Fastpass Holder
    I like your idea Tinker Bell, It would be great to see Walt's vision of the future. I think they should put the original scene back. It's always intresting (to me) to see what people thought the future would look like.
    - Matt
    Allaboutthemouseketeer #155
    http://anotherdisney.blogspot.com/
    http://mattspoliticalrants.blogspot.com/

2009 & 2010 WDW Half Marathons, 2009 Disneyland Half Marathon,

Next Visit to the World: March '09 for Princess Half Marathon Weekend?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast