Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 4 of 59 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast
Miscellaneous Discuss Disney Pet Peeves in the News & Rumors forums; Originally Posted by Sam I Am I hate it(*) when people come up to me and start asking me questions, directions, and so on. Do I look like a CM? ...
    tiggerguy is offline one of the good guys
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam I Am
    I hate it(*) when people come up to me and start asking me questions, directions, and so on.

Do I look like a CM? Am I wearing a nametag? Are you paying me to be here?

(*) Well, not really. Only when I'm in a rush or something. Otherwise, I think it's funny.

they must remember you from when you did the CP <G>
    Brian
    WDWRadio Moderator

Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - Disney Expert, Host, Author, Speaker and Entrepreneur
    Here's a few:

- Strollers tearing away at my Achilles heel (with no apology following)

- Parents that let their kids run wild

- People who do not realize that there are, in fact, showers in their hotel rooms or for some reason refuse to use them. And yes, folks... the soap and water are free, so wash to your little heart's content!

- Do I really need to go into the "talking during the show/preshow/attraction" story?

- Certain groups of international visitors who truly belive that they are the only people in the park that day. (I'm sure many of you can relate)

- Mr. Toad, 20,000 Leagues, Horizons. Need I continue?
    - Not enough places to buy Disney merchandise

- "Seaonal" attractions (e.g. COP & Timekeeper) which are quite good, yet often missed by guests who just don't want to deal with summer heat/crowds

(Mickeybabe... thanks for letting me use your Soapbox. No, it's not because I'm too short, wiseguy!... Lou steps down... for now)
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

MickeyBabe is offline Lady Administrator..................... Sassy but Humble Parks Game Player
    Quote Originally Posted by AKQJ10
    (Mickeybabe... thanks for letting me use your Soapbox. No, it's not because I'm too short, wiseguy!... Lou steps down... for now)
    And here I thought it was your soapbox.

My all time number one pet peeve is the Universal Commercial that ends with "Fairytales and Pixie dust aren't quite your thing?"..... AGH!!!!!!!!

I have never been to Universal, and I understand that some people might actually find something there to enjoy, (not that there's anything wrong with that) but....Why does Universal feel the need to slam Disney?????

They should actually be grateful to Disney for setting an example of what a theme park should be.

Now I have raised my children right. Little Disney children who will grow into proper Disney adults. My DD can't believe that anyone would ever choose Universal over Disney, let alone visit the state of Florida without going to Disney.

<------ MBabe, the proud Disney Mom.

Okay, that is it for now. I need to breathe.

Uh.... Lou, here is your soapbox back...... Well maybe we should just leave it here under the steps in the Castle for everyone to use.

~ Valerie
    WDWRadio.com Senior Staff - Site Administrator
    *)
    ..*) .*)
    (. (. * Faith Trust and Pixie Dust*

I'm a first day D23 Charter Member!

One man's Trivia is another man's Wisdom

TrendyMagic is offline On Mars
    Quote Originally Posted by MickeyBabe
    Uh.... Lou, here is your soapbox back...... Well maybe we should just leave it here under the steps in the Castle for everyone to use.
    Works for me.

And on top of that ending... Universals most popular movies have a reference or character from DIsney in them. Shows they have to use the best.

NORMNB8S is offline And they call him Sandy Claws
    I agree. It bothers me when they slam Disney too, but I think the bottom line is business. I'm fairly certain that the two companies have a fairly stable working relationship since they are so close and realize that each company is bringing something to the tourism industry in Florida, and in the end they are helping each other. Personally, I really enjoy Universal Studios. I never go to Florida without spending a day or two at Universal. Of course, the other 4 or 5 days are spent at Disney, so my heart still lies with them. The thing about Universal is they have more thrill rides, which is what peaks my interest. I'm 22...a huge roller-coaster fiend and I like to ride fast, neck-breaking rides. Universal has more of that to offer than Disney does. But, allow me to reiterate the point that Disney is king and will always be king. I guess the only thing that stops me from ripping my hair out every time I hear that commercial is that I always tell myself that they are just trying to attract the upper teens/low 20's crowd down to Florida. It's clear that Disney owns the children bracket. Which by default means they own the adult bracket because someone has to take the kids. The one place that Disney slips is the middle bracket. My age. That's why they started adding rides like Tower of Terror and the Aerosmith coaster. They realized that Universal was attracting most of that bracket. I guess I just keep telling myself that Universal is trying to bring down the one age group that Disney struggles with, and while that group is there, they'll go to Disney too, so in the end, Disney benefits, even if Universal does bash on them in a commercial. Just my $0.02 though and what do I know?
    Engaged to a wonderful woman on 12-12-08 at the Magic Kingdom!

Pop Century - August 2005
    Caribbean Beach - December 2008

Jennifer2003 is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Disney RULES! LOL

Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - Disney Expert, Host, Author, Speaker and Entrepreneur
    Listen... I'm the first guy to say that there are some things in US and IOA that are pretty cool (Hulk, Dueling Dragons). Heck, I might even go sar far as to say that Spider-Man may be the single greatest ride anywhere (Walt, please forgive me).

That being said, there is still absolutely no comparision between the two parks. Disney set the standard incredibly high, and Universal has fallen far short. Let's face it - there are plenty of cars out there, and all of them get you from A to B... but there are Lamborghinis.... and there are Kias (no offense to any Kia owners out there... I'm only trying to illustrate a point).

I find Universal to be more like a local theme park (e.g. Great Adventure for all you Joisey folks), than an equal to WDW. If you are 18-23, you may not agree with me, and feel that Universal blows Disney away with its thrill rides, etc. Fair enough. But for overall experience, themeing, resorts, even down to the friendliness of the guests and staff to the cleanliness of the park, there is truly that something "magical" (hate to sound "cheesy") that Disney has that no one else, no matter how hard they try, can compare to. And to feel the need to have to throw in tongue-in-cheeck comments in commercials and other media is downright childish. Disney knows that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, and Universal theme park right down the street is a true testament to that.

I could go on for quite a while (as if I already haven't... sorry, but it's the lawyer in me) comparing the two parks. But you can ignore side-by-side comparisons, even attendance, etc. Just look at the almost fanatical dedication people who enjoy Disney have. That is something that Universal, nor any other property (not even the ill-fated "VedaLand") will ever have.

(Whew... thank God I found this Soapbox MickeyBabe left under the steps for me)
    Lou Mongello

Oh, I agree. I didn't mean to even suggest that Universal was anywhere near the experience that Disney was. By all means, Disney blows Universal out of the water on every aspect that I could ever think of. Even down to the fact that the majority of the employees at Universal are nothing but Disney CM rejects. So, please don't take my above statements as some sort of a pro-Universal, anti-Disney statement because like I said, my heart still lies with Disney and it always will. They were the first! They will be the last! And they are the only true theme park in the world. Everything else is an amusement park, like Six Flags and Busch Gardens and my personal favorite, Cedar Point in Ohio. Anyway, I've gotten off track. Basically, I am in agreement with everything that you said, I was just trying to say how I cope with the insults from Universal towards Disney.

20K is offline Brought to you by Dock Thrust
    I agree about that recent Universal advert.
    Now, I am as much a Disney fan as I am a Universal one (OK, slightly more towards Disney), and I think it was a TERRIBLE angle to take. Sure, they are competing, and that is fine, but they have no reason to act on them like that. If you see one of Universal's more recent openings, Shrek-4D, you will probably have noticed the queue. They have posters all around mimicking the old Disney attraction posters that appear on eBay from time to time, but with Shrek characters replacing the originals, such as 'Great Moments With Mr. Farquad' etc.

Personally, I take it as proof that Universal can't do anything original, and so instead make up for it by mocking Disney. Oh well.

Still, Disney doesn't have JAWS...

"I really hope that people won't cherry-pick my quotes in the future
    and use them out of context to justify things that I would never sign-off on."

- Walt Disney

Sam I Am is offline L'Originale - Keeping you behind the rope
    Actually, that sounds hilarious, 20K

Granny is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Back on the original topic of this thread, we have a few pet peeves about WDW visits. Lou had a great list, and some of our are similar and mostly revolve around the other people there.

- people who are rude in so many ways. It's "all about them". This could include people who wield strollers like a battering ram. People who run the last 15 feet to pass you to get in line for an attraction. Then you have to stand behind them for a half hour...and who wants to be that close to rude people?

- people who take children to age-inappropriate attractions. The one that really bothered me was the people who took little kids to Alien Encounter and traumatized the children, then laughed at their kids for being scared!

- people who drape their towels across a lounge chair at the pool early in the day and then go have lunch or whatever and come back later expecting to find their "saved" chair.

- people who yell at their kids "I can't BELIEVE you are being such a brat! Do you KNOW how much money this is costing us?"

- people who yell at the front desk CM's because they didn't get the EXACT room they read about on the internet. I mean, I've heard people saying unbelievable things at check in, whining about their room views or how special their trip is and how it has to be perfect...as if no one else is having a special trip.

I guess I'm done venting....thanks!
    Granny (Yep, I really am a guy)

Granny is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by marty3d
    I have some more:
    2 - Teenagers (and adults) who swear every second word! There are kids around!! (Funny - I've actually only noticed this since I started going with kids. I'm sure it used to happen before, but...)
    Oh, I forgot about that one. That might even move to the top of my list, as it has become increasingly common to hear vulgarities in public places, right in front of kids, without a second thought. :angry:
    Granny (Yep, I really am a guy)

I think it may have been said, but I hate when people stop right in the middle of a walkway. Move to the side. You don't stop in the middle of I-4....why stop in the middle of Main Street?

I remember once when I was watching a show...think it may have been Tiki Birds...and this kid behind me was crawling all over my back. He had one arm around the back of my neck and the other arm was hanging on to my right arm. The parents never said a word about their kid crawling all over some complete stranger. That irked me!

If I see another parent hit, yank, scream at, pull, push, or smack their child... I may just hit them back. Sorry that your 5 year old is getting a little heat stroke and tired and you feel like waiting 2 hours for BTMRR.
    Lou Mongello

crashbunny is offline Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Goofy Guy
    - people who are rude in so many ways. It's "all about them". This could include people who wield strollers like a battering ram. People who run the last 15 feet to pass you to get in line for an attraction. Then you have to stand behind them for a half hour...and who wants to be that close to rude people?

- people who take children to age-inappropriate attractions. The one that really bothered me was the people who took little kids to Alien Encounter and traumatized the children, then laughed at their kids for being scared!

- people who drape their towels across a lounge chair at the pool early in the day and then go have lunch or whatever and come back later expecting to find their "saved" chair.

- people who yell at the front desk CM's because they didn't get the EXACT room they read about on the internet. I mean, I've heard people saying unbelievable things at check in, whining about their room views or how special their trip is and how it has to be perfect...as if no one else is having a special trip.
    These are my big peeves- do people think that they are the only ones that saved and scrimped to get to WDW? Are they the only ones that want to see the parade or the fireworks? My trip is just as special to me! Is my money any different than yours or is your money "better" than mine?
    Just because your a slob at home doesn't give you the right to be one on vacation and spoil mine! If it says inappropriate for kids - it means it! Learn how to read! Rudeness and swearing are not appropriate in any of these situations.

( thanks for the soapbox... I'll put it back in it's spot....... )

Page 4 of 59 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast