Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 54 of 59 FirstFirst ... 4445253545556 ... LastLast
Miscellaneous Discuss Disney Pet Peeves in the News & Rumors forums; People who just stop walking right in front of you. Sometime people can be so taken in by what is in from of them they forget that someone is behind ...
    Bilge Rat is offline A-Ticket holder

Re: Disney Pet Peeves

People who just stop walking right in front of you. Sometime people can be so taken in by what is in from of them they forget that someone is behind them.

lizardlynn92 is offline D-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by BamaJenn View Post
    I'd like to propose a suggestion for this thread. I think we really need to lay off the wheelchair comments. As Stacy said you never know the reason someone is in a wheelchair and technically if we're talking about a disabled person here that's no different than making some sort of racially charged comment. It's inappropriate for these forums.

I know this is old, and I totally agree with not judging people by the scooter or wheelchair they ride in. It is wrong and mean but, everyone wants to be treated equally right? Yes. Then they too, should have to wait in line for buses like everyone else. Unless it is really a medical need to get back to the resort as fast a possible, ok, i get it. But to just run up, after a long hot day at a park and cut everyone waiting in line for a comfy seat back to the home resort, well, its just rude.

Once, at MK, a family with a disabled son but infront of everyone to get on the bus, thats totally fine with me, I could just tell they needed to get back to the room. The family looked really, kind of ashamed to be butting everyone. When I borded the bus, to my surpize, the family gave up their seats to people wh were waiting due to the lack of seats becuase of the wheelchair. They were truely wonderful people and becuase of their kindness and apologies (which were no need for) people gave up their seats to let the kind family sit. That's the kind of stuff I like to see happening in the World!

Four Parks
    One World

There is just one moon
    and one Golden Sun
    And a smile means
    friendship to
    everyone

Quote Originally Posted by lizardlynn92 View Post
    I know this is old, and I totally agree with not judging people by the scooter or wheelchair they ride in. It is wrong and mean but, everyone wants to be treated equally right? Yes. Then they too, should have to wait in line for buses like everyone else. Unless it is really a medical need to get back to the resort as fast a possible, ok, i get it. But to just run up, after a long hot day at a park and cut everyone waiting in line for a comfy seat back to the home resort, well, its just rude.

Once, at MK, a family with a disabled son but infront of everyone to get on the bus, thats totally fine with me, I could just tell they needed to get back to the room. The family looked really, kind of ashamed to be butting everyone. When I borded the bus, to my surpize, the family gave up their seats to people wh were waiting due to the lack of seats becuase of the wheelchair. They were truely wonderful people and becuase of their kindness and apologies (which were no need for) people gave up their seats to let the kind family sit. That's the kind of stuff I like to see happening in the World!
    As a parent that has traveled to Disney with a disabled child, I can understand both sides of this issue. I have felt the white hot glares from other guests when we have pushed a wheel chair past them to the front of an attraction line.

I think that some may be focusing in to closely on a preceived injustice and not looking the larger picture here.

If someone could make my daughter healthy, I would gladly stand in line along with my fellow guests. That is not even a question. Our money goes to paying doctors and hospitals, leaving nothing for a needed trip to WDW.

However, it seems silly to allow desire to experience an attraction or board a bus override compassion and love. Hug your healthy children and enjoy your trip.

joanna71985 is offline Friend of the Disney Characters!!

Unfortunately that's not possible. The wheelchair parties have to be loaded first, because of having to load the wheelchairs (and because it's impossible to load them once other guests are on, because they have to be tied down). Of course, there is a flipside to using a wheelchair. One- you may be first on, but you are first off. Two- there is only room for 2 wheelchairs. If you are number 3+, you'll have to wait (even if there is plenty of room). Three- Sometimes the lifts won't work (so again, you'll have to wait).
    Many as a kid (1986-1998)Aug 1998- Port OrleansMarch 2003- Jr Band Trip (offsite)Aug 2003- Port OrleansJan 12-Aug 5, 2005- CP (CS)Jan 1-5, 2006- AS Sports (solo)May 24, 2006-Jan 5, 2007- CP (CS)Jan 31-Feb 3, 2007- offsite (solo)March 1-3, 2007- Dad+ Me (offsite)May 16-Aug 10, 2007- CP (CS) Aug 10-12, 2007- GF/P&PMay 21- Aug 15, 2008- CP (PC)Aug 15-18, 2008- AKL!!Mar 25-29, 2009 (offsite)Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010- CP (CS)Jan 3-May 14, 2010- CP (CS)Feb 12-16, 2012: DCL DreamOct 20-27, 2012: DCL Fantasy (Eastern)Sept 8-12, 2013: DCL Dream Jan 20-24, 2014: DCL Magic Dec 3-6, 2014: DCL Wonder (for now)

CP #1: 1/12/05-8/5/05: MK merchandise and parades
    CP #2: 5/24/06 to 1/5/07: character attendant!!
    CP #3: 5/16/07-8/10/07: Epcot WS Custodial/seasonal CA
    CP #4: 5/21/08-7/5/08: Casey's (QSFB); 7/6/08-8/15/08: character attendant
    CP #5: 8/10/09-1/2/10: Toy Story Mania attractions
    CP #6: 1/3/10-5/14/10: Great Movie Ride attractions
    FT: 5/16/10~
    Montclair State Campus Rep- Fall 2007, Spring 2008, Fall 2008, Spring 2009

Mr. Tom Morrow is offline C-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by joanna71985 View Post
    Unfortunately that's not possible. The wheelchair parties have to be loaded first, because of having to load the wheelchairs (and because it's impossible to load them once other guests are on, because they have to be tied down). Of course, there is a flipside to using a wheelchair. One- you may be first on, but you are first off. Two- there is only room for 2 wheelchairs. If you are number 3+, you'll have to wait (even if there is plenty of room). Three- Sometimes the lifts won't work (so again, you'll have to wait).
    I think you mean first on but last off.

joanna71985 is offline Friend of the Disney Characters!!

Yes, that's what I meant
    Many as a kid (1986-1998)Aug 1998- Port OrleansMarch 2003- Jr Band Trip (offsite)Aug 2003- Port OrleansJan 12-Aug 5, 2005- CP (CS)Jan 1-5, 2006- AS Sports (solo)May 24, 2006-Jan 5, 2007- CP (CS)Jan 31-Feb 3, 2007- offsite (solo)March 1-3, 2007- Dad+ Me (offsite)May 16-Aug 10, 2007- CP (CS) Aug 10-12, 2007- GF/P&PMay 21- Aug 15, 2008- CP (PC)Aug 15-18, 2008- AKL!!Mar 25-29, 2009 (offsite)Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010- CP (CS)Jan 3-May 14, 2010- CP (CS)Feb 12-16, 2012: DCL DreamOct 20-27, 2012: DCL Fantasy (Eastern)Sept 8-12, 2013: DCL Dream Jan 20-24, 2014: DCL Magic Dec 3-6, 2014: DCL Wonder (for now)

CP #1: 1/12/05-8/5/05: MK merchandise and parades
    CP #2: 5/24/06 to 1/5/07: character attendant!!
    CP #3: 5/16/07-8/10/07: Epcot WS Custodial/seasonal CA
    CP #4: 5/21/08-7/5/08: Casey's (QSFB); 7/6/08-8/15/08: character attendant
    CP #5: 8/10/09-1/2/10: Toy Story Mania attractions
    CP #6: 1/3/10-5/14/10: Great Movie Ride attractions
    FT: 5/16/10~
    Montclair State Campus Rep- Fall 2007, Spring 2008, Fall 2008, Spring 2009

zippitydoodah is offline Annual Passholder

I think some rides have special seating for people in wheelchairs as well. I'm pretty sure the Jungle Cruise and Kilamanjaro safaris are examples... so they have to wait until one of the accessible vehicles is there to load them (and not everyone in a wheelchair may fit so they might have to wait for it to come back around a few more times).

One thing that would make me angry that I just read in an article, is that even if you aren't going to go on a ride the rest of your party is able to skip the line and use your wheelchair pass. Of course (or at least from what I can gather from the article) this is only true of rides where a person is not physically able to ride, and it makes sense because that person cannot ride... but has to wait for the rest of the party. But still, in this article the author says that their nieces and nephews rode rides again and again and again and were able to go on about 3X the times they would have been able to do without the card. I guess there will always be those people who abuse the system though... (and I'm sure it's not the majority). I know my boyfriend's mom is unable to go on a few rides due to back problems, and while she has never gone to get a disability card because skipping a line wouldn't help (she can wait in lines, she just can't ride anything jerky like dinosaur), she still has to sit there bored and wait while we ride without her. It's the same thing, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Bilge Rat View Post

I think that some may be focusing in to closely on a preceived injustice and not looking the larger picture here.

If someone could make my daughter healthy, I would gladly stand in line along with my fellow guests. That is not even a question. Our money goes to paying doctors and hospitals, leaving nothing for a needed trip to WDW.

However, it seems silly to allow desire to experience an attraction or board a bus override compassion and love. Hug your healthy children and enjoy your trip.

I totally get that, i have no children, being too young, and I am very thankful for my family's heath and I get where your coming from. Im talking about more along the lines of grumpy old men lol and I know it wrong to judge, but you can sometimes tell when people do not need wheelchairs, but then again you never know.

Like once when I was in the magic Kingdom waiting for the parade, a woman came up and ran my Grandmother's foot with her jazzy in order to butt my grandmom and to get a better spot. We held our tounges, because you never know why someone is in the said wheelchair, but then, she stood up to help her child, and walked away from the scooter! I mean come on, if you need one, you need one, but please dont use one when your being lazy lol they are the kind of people I'm talking about, the abusers.
    Last edited by lizardlynn92; 08-11-2010 at 12:24 AM.

Four Parks
    One World

There is just one moon
    and one Golden Sun
    And a smile means
    friendship to
    everyone

Quote Originally Posted by zippitydoodah View Post
    But still, in this article the author says that their nieces and nephews rode rides again and again and again and were able to go on about 3X the times they would have been able to do without the card. I guess there will always be those people who abuse the system though... (and I'm sure it's not the majority).

Yeah, thats what I meant about the wheelchair comment, people who abuse the system, not just with the buses, but with rides as well. I'm sorry if I made myself seem predjudice against wheeel chairs because I'm not, they're medical needs, but the abusers, thats my pet peeve. Sorry Bilge Rat for not specifying my previous comments.
    Last edited by lizardlynn92; 08-11-2010 at 12:26 AM.

Four Parks
    One World

There is just one moon
    and one Golden Sun
    And a smile means
    friendship to
    everyone

JNota0005DakMC is offline Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by joanna71985 View Post
    whenever i see someone in a wheelchair getting on an attraction my first thought isnt "hey their cutting me... thats not fair..." MY first thought actually is "good for them... they are not letting any disability they may have get in the way of them enjoying their vacation to the fullest."

being related to someone who is disabled i think it is important that they are able to experience as much as the next person... so if it means they have to get on ahead of others then so be it...

i once saw this, and in the group ahead of me a couple of teenagers were mouthing off about how thats not fair... and hes faking it... and im gonna go rent one so i can cut the line... i couldnt hold back anymore so i responded by saying... "do you wanna switch places with them... im sure what they have to go through day in and day out isnt what you think it is... leave it alone..."

but out of curiosity... joanna... your a CM right...? if a random person goes to guest services just rents a wheelchair (as these punks suggested) do they automatically get a pass...? cause i have seen families that rent a wheelchair for family members who are tired... i literally have seen a family of like 6 and every time i passed them there was someone else sitting in the chair... and at the end of the night... they put their souvenirs in it because i guess no one wanted to carry them...
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them"
    -Walt Disney

"Laughter is America's most important export"
    -Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!
    http://tomorrowlandgazette.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by JNota0005DakMC View Post
    cause i have seen families that rent a wheelchair for family members who are tired... i literally have seen a family of like 6 and every time i passed them there was someone else sitting in the chair... and at the end of the night... they put their souvenirs in it because i guess no one wanted to carry them...

Thats what I'm talking about, not disabled people, I'm talking about people who abuse and use the wheelchair for laziness. I do feel bad for the previous comments I made, they make me sound inconciderate, which I'm not. Once again, its the abusers of the chair that annoy me, not the chair itself.

Four Parks
    One World

There is just one moon
    and one Golden Sun
    And a smile means
    friendship to
    everyone

JNota0005DakMC is offline Annual Passholder

Thats what I'm talking about, not disabled people, I'm talking about people who abuse and use the wheelchair for laziness. I do feel bad for the previous comments I made, they make me sound inconciderate, which I'm not. Once again, its the abusers of the chair that annoy me, not the chair itself.
    i get what your saying... but i find it hard to believe that anyone could just rent a wheelchair and automatically be allowed to use a privilege that is reserved for legitimately disabled people... the people who could use it and would be grateful for it...!
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them"
    -Walt Disney

"Laughter is America's most important export"
    -Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!
    http://tomorrowlandgazette.blogspot.com/

Guests Services asks alot of questions. Even when we went with Make-A-Wish we took medical records with us to remove all doubt that there is a medical necessity.

Mr. Tom Morrow is offline C-Ticket Holder

My take on wheelchairs is that if you need one then I don't mind if you go ahead of me. I'm lucky to be healthy enough not to need one. If you don't need one and you are just using one because you are too lazy and you don't take care of yourself, whatever, your life is sorry enough and I'm not going to make a big deal about it. I am fortunate of having the ability to be patient so I'm not bothered by wheelchairs really.

GoofyRulez is offline D-Ticket Holder

My biggest pet peve is closing time at the Magic Kingdom...can't they just stay open all night? I wouldn't mind camping in the lawn.
    Goofy Rulez

D23 Member Since September 2010

Walt Disney's
    Carolwood Pacific Railroad
    Member Since March 2011

June,1978-First Time-Off Property
    April,1994-My 24th Birthday-1 Day Trip
    Nov,1995-1 Day trip
    Aug,1997-1 Day Trip
    Sept,1998-Our Disneymoon-All Star Music
    June,2003-1 Day Trip
    Aug,2010-Caribbean Beach Resort