Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 55 of 59 FirstFirst ... 5455354555657 ... LastLast
Miscellaneous Discuss Disney Pet Peeves in the News & Rumors forums; Originally Posted by zippitydoodah I think some rides have special seating for people in wheelchairs as well. I'm pretty sure the Jungle Cruise and Kilamanjaro safaris are examples... so they ...
    joanna71985 is offline Friend of the Disney Characters!!

Re: Disney Pet Peeves

Quote Originally Posted by zippitydoodah View Post
    I think some rides have special seating for people in wheelchairs as well. I'm pretty sure the Jungle Cruise and Kilamanjaro safaris are examples... so they have to wait until one of the accessible vehicles is there to load them (and not everyone in a wheelchair may fit so they might have to wait for it to come back around a few more times).

One thing that would make me angry that I just read in an article, is that even if you aren't going to go on a ride the rest of your party is able to skip the line and use your wheelchair pass. Of course (or at least from what I can gather from the article) this is only true of rides where a person is not physically able to ride, and it makes sense because that person cannot ride... but has to wait for the rest of the party. But still, in this article the author says that their nieces and nephews rode rides again and again and again and were able to go on about 3X the times they would have been able to do without the card. I guess there will always be those people who abuse the system though... (and I'm sure it's not the majority). I know my boyfriend's mom is unable to go on a few rides due to back problems, and while she has never gone to get a disability card because skipping a line wouldn't help (she can wait in lines, she just can't ride anything jerky like dinosaur), she still has to sit there bored and wait while we ride without her. It's the same thing, isn't it?
    Correct. There are times people traveling with wheelchairs will have to wait a lot longer then people in the regular line (Safari is a good example). Also, 99% of attractions are wheelchair accessable. So the wheelchair can fit through the regular line.

And wrong. The person for whom the GAC is for has to be there in order to use the GAC (otherwise they are supposed to go in the regular line).

Quote Originally Posted by JNota0005DakMC View Post
    but out of curiosity... joanna... your a CM right...? if a random person goes to guest services just rents a wheelchair (as these punks suggested) do they automatically get a pass...? cause i have seen families that rent a wheelchair for family members who are tired... i literally have seen a family of like 6 and every time i passed them there was someone else sitting in the chair... and at the end of the night... they put their souvenirs in it because i guess no one wanted to carry them...
    No. A wheelchair doesn't get a pass (the GACs are for unseen disabilities). Plus, 99% of the attractions are wheelchair accessable. That means the wheelchair can fit through the normal line. So even if you get a wheelchair, you won't "cut" to the front of the line.

Quote Originally Posted by lizardlynn92 View Post
    Thats what I'm talking about, not disabled people, I'm talking about people who abuse and use the wheelchair for laziness. I do feel bad for the previous comments I made, they make me sound inconciderate, which I'm not. Once again, its the abusers of the chair that annoy me, not the chair itself.
    But how do you know that they are just being "lazy"? Yes, there are people who abuse the wheelchair (I will give you that). But then there are people who may look like they are abusing it, but do have a medical need. There really is no way to know for sure
    Many as a kid (1986-1998)Aug 1998- Port OrleansMarch 2003- Jr Band Trip (offsite)Aug 2003- Port OrleansJan 12-Aug 5, 2005- CP (CS)Jan 1-5, 2006- AS Sports (solo)May 24, 2006-Jan 5, 2007- CP (CS)Jan 31-Feb 3, 2007- offsite (solo)March 1-3, 2007- Dad+ Me (offsite)May 16-Aug 10, 2007- CP (CS) Aug 10-12, 2007- GF/P&PMay 21- Aug 15, 2008- CP (PC)Aug 15-18, 2008- AKL!!Mar 25-29, 2009 (offsite)Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010- CP (CS)Jan 3-May 14, 2010- CP (CS)Feb 12-16, 2012: DCL DreamOct 20-27, 2012: DCL Fantasy (Eastern)Sept 8-12, 2013: DCL Dream Jan 20-24, 2014: DCL Magic Dec 3-6, 2014: DCL Wonder (for now)

CP #1: 1/12/05-8/5/05: MK merchandise and parades
    CP #2: 5/24/06 to 1/5/07: character attendant!!
    CP #3: 5/16/07-8/10/07: Epcot WS Custodial/seasonal CA
    CP #4: 5/21/08-7/5/08: Casey's (QSFB); 7/6/08-8/15/08: character attendant
    CP #5: 8/10/09-1/2/10: Toy Story Mania attractions
    CP #6: 1/3/10-5/14/10: Great Movie Ride attractions
    FT: 5/16/10~
    Montclair State Campus Rep- Fall 2007, Spring 2008, Fall 2008, Spring 2009

zippitydoodah is offline Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by joanna71985 View Post

No. A wheelchair doesn't get a pass (the GACs are for unseen disabilities). Plus, 99% of the attractions are wheelchair accessable. That means the wheelchair can fit through the normal line. So even if you get a wheelchair, you won't "cut" to the front of the line.
    Well, according to the writer of the article their family was able to go on any ride they wanted without them. Maybe it's not supposed to be allowed, but cast members clearly let them do it. Hopefully it doesn't happen too often.

Anyways, I think that overall the fact that people with certain disabilities (not just mobility ones) are able to cut the line if that's what they need. My mom is a Special Education teacher and I have worked with special needs kids for 6 years and disabilities come in a large variety, many which you may not realize just by sight. For instance, my cousin has high functioning autism which most people would never be able to tell even when talking to him in a short conversation, but there is no way he could stand waiting in a lineup for more than 15 minutes or so... he just can't handle it.

lizardlynn92 is offline D-Ticket Holder

Anyways, I think that overall the fact that people with certain disabilities (not just mobility ones) are able to cut the line if that's what they need. My mom is a Special Education teacher and I have worked with special needs kids for 6 years and disabilities come in a large variety, many which you may not realize just by sight. For instance, my cousin has high functioning autism which most people would never be able to tell even when talking to him in a short conversation, but there is no way he could stand waiting in a lineup for more than 15 minutes or so... he just can't handle it.

Yeah, my mom does the same kind of work, and I too, have worked hands on with disabled kids. Truthfully, this thread has really opened my eyes to how amazing disney is with helping people with disbilities, whether they be mobility or others, which is another reason why disney is so great. I am sorry about the comment i made about cutting in lines for buses, but when i said it, i did mean the abusers, not disabled people, you know? If I did offend anyone, I am truely, deeply sorry for that wasnt my intention. I wish everyone a fun and magical end of summer ,
    Last edited by lizardlynn92; 08-11-2010 at 10:43 PM.

Four Parks
    One World

There is just one moon
    and one Golden Sun
    And a smile means
    friendship to
    everyone

zippitydoodah is offline Annual Passholder

Yeah, my mom does the same kind of work, and I too, have worked hands on with disabled kids. Truthfully, this thread has really opened my eyes to how amazing disney is with helping people with disbilities, whether they be mobility or others, which is another reason why disney is so great. I am sorry about the comment i made about cutting in lines for buses, but when i said it, i did mean the abusers, not disabled people, you know? If I did offend anyone, I am truely, deeply sorry for that wasnt my intention. I wish everyone a fun and magical end of summer ,

You didn't offend me, I understand. I personally know people who used their grandma's wheelchair to cut lines. Like... she was eating or resting and they would take turns pretending to need it and ride in it to cut lines. So, there ARE people who abuse the system. I suppose though that it's hard to know who's who so it's best to just give everyone the benefit of the doubt (which is probably what Disney employees do).

On a related note, did you hear about the girl (probably not because she was Canadian) who pretended to have cancer and fundraised money for "charity", but really just kept it herself, a total of about $30,000. And to make matters worse, a charity gave her an all-expenses trip to Disney World.. you can imagine all the special treatment she recieved while there! She even plucked her eyebrows and eyelashes out and starved herself. There are some MESSED up people out there. Here's the news article: Ashley Kirilow: The Canadian Cancer Grifter - TIME NewsFeed

And thanks I WILL have a magical summer... I'm leaving for Disney World on Friday yahoo!

lizardlynn92 is offline D-Ticket Holder

You didn't offend me, I understand. I personally know people who used their grandma's wheelchair to cut lines. Like... she was eating or resting and they would take turns pretending to need it and ride in it to cut lines. So, there ARE people who abuse the system. I suppose though that it's hard to know who's who so it's best to just give everyone the benefit of the doubt (which is probably what Disney employees do).

On a related note, did you hear about the girl (probably not because she was Canadian) who pretended to have cancer and fundraised money for "charity", but really just kept it herself, a total of about $30,000. And to make matters worse, a charity gave her an all-expenses trip to Disney World.. you can imagine all the special treatment she recieved while there! She even plucked her eyebrows and eyelashes out and starved herself. There are some MESSED up people out there. Here's the news article: Ashley Kirilow: The Canadian Cancer Grifter - TIME NewsFeed

And thanks I WILL have a magical summer... I'm leaving for Disney World on Friday yahoo!
    How could even come up with a plan so horrible. I just dont get the human mind sometimes. It just makes me sad ....

and I will have a magical summer too, I leave next Wednesday

Four Parks
    One World

There is just one moon
    and one Golden Sun
    And a smile means
    friendship to
    everyone

JNota0005DakMC is offline Annual Passholder

How could even come up with a plan so horrible. I just dont get the human mind sometimes. It just makes me sad ....

and I will have a magical summer too, I leave next Wednesday
    i leave the same day you do...

that is what i thought...
    Last edited by JNota0005DakMC; 08-11-2010 at 11:57 PM.
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them"
    -Walt Disney

"Laughter is America's most important export"
    -Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!
    http://tomorrowlandgazette.blogspot.com/

TaraPetar is offline A-Ticket holder

My pet peeves while at Disney Parks are people (kids & adults) who push/break in line at character meets when there is clearly a line...those who mistake Scrooge for Donald (this happened on my trip last week, even the adults were calling him Donald), when at a character meal kids from other tables rush in on your time instead of waiting their turn as the characters go around to each table for autographs and photos. People who are in line to meet a character and complain about how long its taking but then take AGES once their own children are up there...oh i could go on all day!!
    Feel Free to Add Me on FaceBook
    (Tara Renee Petar)

My attempt at a Disney Blog
    http://disneylovinmom2010.wordpress.com/

prickle is offline Fastpass Holder

Wow! I would get very upset if other kids rushed my table during a character meal. I did not think it would be allowed.
    One of my pet peeves is when a child spills or makes a mess, the parent just leaves it there and walks away like nothing ever happened. At least make an attempt to clean up the accicent.

dreamitºoºdoit is offline A-Ticket holder

not knowing park names: yesterday i was speaking with someone who thought the 4 parks of Disney World were called:
    Magic Kingdom
    Animal Kingdom
    Universal Studios
    Essex Park

disney_freak is offline is supercalifragilisticexpia lidocious

Quote Originally Posted by dreamitºoºdoit View Post
    not knowing park names: yesterday i was speaking with someone who thought the 4 parks of Disney World were called:
    Magic Kingdom
    Animal Kingdom
    Universal Studios
    Essex Park
    Essex Park? WTH?
    and if I hear anyone say US is a Disney park I start yelling lol.
    that is a HUGE pet peeve!!!!
    Faith is my name, disney is my...obsession

Since Pluto is no longer a planet. I think Mickey should be the new one.

Keasmom is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass

A special event for her. My sister once pretended to have cancer to get out of a family event with her then hubby.
    One year later-cancer. She is recovered, but still. THAT is one lie that can come back to bite you.

Quote Originally Posted by TaraPetar View Post
    My pet peeves while at Disney Parks are people (kids & adults) who push/break in line at character meets when there is clearly a line...those who mistake Scrooge for Donald (this happened on my trip last week, even the adults were calling him Donald), when at a character meal kids from other tables rush in on your time instead of waiting their turn as the characters go around to each table for autographs and photos. People who are in line to meet a character and complain about how long its taking but then take AGES once their own children are up there...oh i could go on all day!!
    Oh, those are on my list as well. I will tell them, go to your table and wait YOUR turn.

Quote Originally Posted by dreamitºoºdoit View Post
    Magic Kingdom
    Animal Kingdom
    Universal Studios
    Essex Park
    OH, that ones chaps nearly everyone here.

I help people plan their trips or give them ideas for trips when it involves LBV and WDW, but I nearly gag when they ask where they can buy the "Magic Kingdom Every Park pass" that get them into IOA, US, MK, AK, DHS et al. Oh, slow down, hometown, let's THINK this thru.
    P.U.S.H.-A mantra MOST will not understand.

Disney rocks, Walt was a genius.

I hate that there are people that Dont know the difference between DL and WDW that might be getting in the Disney College Program and I might not. COME ON PEOPLE KNOW A LITTLE ABOUT THE PARK YOUR GONNA BE WORKING AT!!!!!!!!

joanna71985 is offline Friend of the Disney Characters!!

Some people who do the CP have never been to the parks before. That is not a crime
    Many as a kid (1986-1998)Aug 1998- Port OrleansMarch 2003- Jr Band Trip (offsite)Aug 2003- Port OrleansJan 12-Aug 5, 2005- CP (CS)Jan 1-5, 2006- AS Sports (solo)May 24, 2006-Jan 5, 2007- CP (CS)Jan 31-Feb 3, 2007- offsite (solo)March 1-3, 2007- Dad+ Me (offsite)May 16-Aug 10, 2007- CP (CS) Aug 10-12, 2007- GF/P&PMay 21- Aug 15, 2008- CP (PC)Aug 15-18, 2008- AKL!!Mar 25-29, 2009 (offsite)Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010- CP (CS)Jan 3-May 14, 2010- CP (CS)Feb 12-16, 2012: DCL DreamOct 20-27, 2012: DCL Fantasy (Eastern)Sept 8-12, 2013: DCL Dream Jan 20-24, 2014: DCL Magic Dec 3-6, 2014: DCL Wonder (for now)

CP #1: 1/12/05-8/5/05: MK merchandise and parades
    CP #2: 5/24/06 to 1/5/07: character attendant!!
    CP #3: 5/16/07-8/10/07: Epcot WS Custodial/seasonal CA
    CP #4: 5/21/08-7/5/08: Casey's (QSFB); 7/6/08-8/15/08: character attendant
    CP #5: 8/10/09-1/2/10: Toy Story Mania attractions
    CP #6: 1/3/10-5/14/10: Great Movie Ride attractions
    FT: 5/16/10~
    Montclair State Campus Rep- Fall 2007, Spring 2008, Fall 2008, Spring 2009

Keasmom is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass

Quote Originally Posted by disney_freak View Post
    I hate that there are people that Dont know the difference between DL and WDW that might be getting in the Disney College Program and I might not. COME ON PEOPLE KNOW A LITTLE ABOUT THE PARK YOUR GONNA BE WORKING AT!!!!!!!!
    I can understand that sentiment.

Some people who do the CP have never been to the parks before. That is not a crime

But it would be nice if those who LOVE the parks got special consideration over those who don't even know the correct names.

But then, happiness is LEARNING all about how to love Disney.
    P.U.S.H.-A mantra MOST will not understand.

Disney rocks, Walt was a genius.

I'm not saying they have to be obessed like us. But some of them dont know the differnce between disneyland and disney world.

Most of the people that are there that I've talked to do love disney and know there stuff. But there is 1 girl in my class that she doesnt even like disney world (AT ALL) and they got accepted. And i know there are many like her that apply, get in and dont like disney.
    Last edited by disney_freak; 04-26-2011 at 05:26 PM.

Page 55 of 59 FirstFirst ... 5455354555657 ... LastLast