Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Miscellaneous Discuss Woman tries to bring gun into MK in the News & Rumors forums; Originally Posted by johncorky5787 Umm. Florida Concealed Carry License? No one mentioned if she had one or not. I, like thousands of others in Florida and perhaps 35-40 other states, ...
    tarynkelly is offline Waiting for Paris Mousemeet in Dec 2009!!!!! Woo Hoo
    Scurrying back to my closet before Debs catches me!!
    Quote Originally Posted by johncorky5787 View Post
    Umm. Florida Concealed Carry License? No one mentioned if she had one or not. I, like thousands of others in Florida and perhaps 35-40 other states, have one. I carry a loaded pistol all of the time. I am not allowed to bring one into specific locations such as schools or government buildings, but theme parks? I would not have thought twice. I've never pulled a gun, pointed it at someone, threatened to shoot anyone or even mention it.

I get defensive as the news makes such an issue over what is probably nothing. If she had no license, she violated the law. Otherwise, people carry guns all day long. Most state's licenses carry reciprocity.

Let me just present this food for thought. If some nut began shooting up people in Disney, would anyone have complained if this lady shot the shooter? Remember, the highest crime rate can be found in Washington DC. It is a gun-free zone.

They get round the "nut" shooting up people at WDW by not allowing guns in. It's ridiculous to think that you would need a gun at Disney, and if no one takes a gun into the parks you don't it's that simple. I would not be happy thinking that my sons were sitting next to someone with a loaded gun, permit or no permit. The only people in Disney with guns should be the law.

johncorky5787 is offline A-Ticket holder
    What do you think the gun is going to do to your sons?

BTW, no one brought a gun to class at the Virginia Tech shooting scene as they are not allowed. How'd that work out?

If she had a license, she did nothing wrong. Doubt that she did, but no one mentioned it. They did mention "Semi-automatic" which is a big scary word that means: pull the trigger and it shoots one shot at a time. But rather than focus on the guns chamber being empty, and she really broke a specific law, our media hypes the stuff that will scare the average person.

Be afraid of pedophiles that may be sitting next to your sons, not senior citizens who ***** up. WDW cannot install a molestor detector.

It is also true that, although I do not recall the exact number, there are some 2 or 300,000 concealed carry licenses in Florida. I carry and would never hurt your sons. I would not hesitate to draw on someone who was trying to hurt them. It is my legal right and personal responsibility.

I respect your concern, but it is the person that makes bad happen, not their gun.
    Last edited by johncorky5787; 12-10-2007 at 05:22 PM. Reason: further thought

tarynkelly is offline Waiting for Paris Mousemeet in Dec 2009!!!!! Woo Hoo
    Scurrying back to my closet before Debs catches me!!
    The gun will do nothing to my boys but that does not mean I will ever be comfortable about people who are not the law carrying them around my boys. How do you know a nut would not take your registered gun off of you and use it to attack someone else? If there are no guns allowed in the parks this is not a problem. This is not a personal attack towards you, I just get uncomfortable around guns.

johncorky5787 is offline A-Ticket holder
    And perhaps I am too comfortable around them. Please have a good week.

albino_pygmy is offline The voice of the Jungle
    Quote Originally Posted by johncorky5787 View Post
    WDW cannot install a molestor detector.
    Sure they could! Just create several advanced AA's to look like Mccully Culkin around the park, add a lovely light blueish glow around him and anyone that would attempt to molest the AA will get 1.21 jigawatts shooting up to their corrupt heads and if they survived the shock, they should have learned their lesson.

One little spark of inspiration, can stop the creeps from molestation, right at the start, just outside the gates, one little spark, is all it takes

I respect your concern, but it is the person that makes bad happen, not their gun.
    Then why is there guns around in the first place? Self defense? For sport? hunting? Clay disks? I'm not one who opposes guns all together, I do think they do make a great last resort choice for self defense but I do think that if you feel the need to carry a gun around with you everywhere you go, you might want to consider moving, not that I'm saying there is such a place where everyone gets along, but a place where you don't need to live in fear. This is whyI'm considering moving down south with the penguins where I know I won't have to worry about stupid people and the empty void inside their heads.
    Last edited by albino_pygmy; 12-10-2007 at 09:03 PM.

lilo88 is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    I don't think this woman had a gun license, and I wasn't making any personal attacks I was just relaying the news. Sorry if you took it the wrong way john. And welcome to DWT, I hope you enjoy your time here.
    Tiffany~o ~ D23 member

Sufferer of Disney Vacation Depression

97'~French Quarter, 99'~CBR, 01'~Movies, 03'~Music/PORriverside/DCL, 05'~POP, 06'~Movies, 08'~Movies, 09'~Disneyland/ Embassy Suites Irvine/ 10'~Music, 12'~LBV Best Western Disney View

echoscot is offline D-Ticket Holder
    I can totally understand the concern over the media Hyping the artificial danger. They do that with everything. If there is the slightest controversy, they will blow it up huge and exaggerate or distort the details to get readership.

That being said, everyone still needs to remember that you may have a license to carry a concealed weapon, but WDW is private property, not public, and they have the right to restrict anyone or anything from entering the property. As far as the arrest, that could only happen if she broke a law. So the media hasn't said what law she broke. They make it sound like simply the act of owning a gun makes one a criminal, so I can understand John's frustration.

nicki12 is offline Disney Fan and Twilighter
    I don't think that she "forgot" I think she brought on purpose.

Nicole a.k.a. nicki12 ~ a Navy daughter
    Huge fan of the Twilight Series!
    "All your dreams can come true, if you have the courage to pursue them" - Walt Disney

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???
    Quote Originally Posted by nicks10 View Post
    Some people are just plain ridiculous and have no concept of the world. And I'm hearing this after I just saw this Campus Alert - NIU - Northern Illinois University
    Note: The woman at WDW came with multiple weapons, a locking knife, not exactly necessary to split a cheeseburger! No matter which side of the fence anyone lands regarding guns...WDW is not a government owned facility. WDW bans weapons. WDW choice. The more security for our kids the better. Accidents do happen with guns, just ask our Vice President.

Nick10-Relieved to hear your campus at NI University was OK today, prayers that it remains Pixie Dust for everyone at NIU.

insuredbyglock is offline A-Ticket holder

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by tarynkelly View Post
    They get round the "nut" shooting up people at WDW by not allowing guns in.
    This is akin to saying, "the way we get around murder is to make murder illegal." Well whaddya know, murder IS illegal, yet this does not stop it from occurring. The only WDW park I have ever been to was Epcot. No metal detectors, just bag checks. Without metal detectors to enforce the "no guns" crock, the "nuts" like the Virginia Tech killer Seung-Hui Cho are free to enter armed at will, while the law abiding citizenry are at their mercy. I bet granny would have gotten into the MK with her gun if it were in a belt holster, not in her bag.

Virginia Tech was a "gun free" zone, yet this did not stop the armed massacre of 32 UNarmed citizens playing fair by observing the "no guns" policy. Guess what? If even only ONE other student at VT that day was armed and able to stop Seung-Hui Cho, 30 or more lives would have been saved. Cho may have been able to kill one or two of his victims, but he would have been given a dose of his own medicine instead of being free to roam at will. Anyone think this can't happen at WDW? Don't be so sure. Just ask the people in Omaha if they were expecting a looney tune with an AK-47 in the mall that morning.

I have a concealed weapons permit issued by Virginia (honored by Fl) and I carry my Glock 30 everywhere that I legally can.

In order to make WDW safe from bozos like Cho, one of two things need to happen. Either install metal detectors to enforce the "no guns" rule, or allow permit holders to be armed where they will. The "no guns" rule based on the honor system does not work.

I will end my rant now, but I get so disgusted when people claim that legislation and more rules are going to make the criminals obey on the honor system. Gun free zones are a free pass for the criminals to start their spree. Johncorky hit it right on the head.
    Last edited by insuredbyglock; 12-11-2007 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Edited for political correctness

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    I find it interesting that the first time that two people post in this forum is on a thread dealing with this topic. People who feel they need to carry a gun on their persons at all times will never understand those who abhorrer the idea and the other way around. I do find it scary that licensed gun owners with permits become so used to carrying a gun that they forget that they have it on their person. It's like adding the cell phone to their belt or purse.
    With the other items this woman was carrying, it doesn't sound like she "forgot' she had it with her. I'm just glad that in this case, the gun and other items were detected and the system worked.
    As for the what if scenario that someone carrying a gun would take out a shooter on a rampage. There are no guarantees that you wouldn't be the first one to be hit. Then what good is that gun going to do you?
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

Very well said Virginia.

princessariel is offline Fastpass Holder
    Well said mini-V!!
    Summer '83-Off Site

Dec '95- Shades Of Green

March '03-All Star Movies

March '06-All Star Movies

October '07-POFQ

March '10-POFQ

March '13 POFQ

June '14 POFQ

Nov'14 All Star Sports-F&WF W&D 1/2 Marathon!

echoscot is offline D-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by insuredbyglock View Post
    It is feel-good do-nothing liberals like yourself that do not understand the absurdity of this statement. This is akin to saying, "the way we get around murder is to make murder illegal." Well whaddya know, murder IS illegal, yet this does not stop it from occurring. The only WDW park I have ever been to was Epcot. No metal detectors, just bag checks. Without metal detectors to enforce the "no guns" crock, the "nuts" like the Virginia Tech killer Seung-Hui Cho are free to enter armed at will, while the law abiding citizenry are at their mercy. I bet granny would have gotten into the MK with her gun if it were in a belt holster, not in her bag.

Virginia Tech was a "gun free" zone, yet this did not stop the armed massacre of 32 UNarmed citizens playing fair by observing the "no guns" policy. Guess what? If even only ONE other student at VT that day was armed and able to stop Seung-Hui Cho, 30 or more lives would have been saved. Cho may have been able to kill one or two of his victims, but he would have been given a dose of his own medicine instead of being free to roam at will. Anyone think this can't happen at WDW? Don't be so sure. Just ask the people in Omaha if they were expecting a looney tune with an AK-47 in the mall that morning.

I have a concealed weapons permit issued by Virginia (honored by Fl) and I carry my Glock 30 everywhere that I legally can.

In order to make WDW safe from bozos like Cho, one of two things need to happen. Either install metal detectors to enforce the "no guns" rule, or allow permit holders to be armed where they will. The "no guns" rule based on the honor system does not work.

I will end my rant now, but I get so disgusted when people claim that legislation and more rules are going to make the criminals obey on the honor system. Gun free zones are a free pass for the criminals to start their spree. Johncorky hit it right on the head.
    It is one thing to make your opinion known, and I have no disrespect for that. I am a huge supporter of the second amendment, but to go into personal attacks and name calling is not acceptable on this forum. You did it in your first sentence.

If you feel the need to post in the future, please make your comment without incriminating the persons who are regular members of this forum, thank you.

lilo88 is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    Note: The woman at WDW came with multiple weapons, a locking knife, not exactly necessary to split a cheeseburger! No matter which side of the fence anyone lands regarding guns...WDW is not a government owned facility. WDW bans weapons. WDW choice. The more security for our kids the better. Accidents do happen with guns, just ask our Vice President.

Nick10-Relieved to hear your campus at NI University was OK today, prayers that it remains Pixie Dust for everyone at NIU.
    I agree.

Okay thank you for everyones input. Thank you. But please remember that people have different opinions about stuff and NO personal attacks will be posted here. So if you can't keep those comments to yourself then DON'T post. Thank you V and scot for setting this rule straight and I completly agree with you both. So like I said if you don't have something nice to say please keep your thoughts to yourself. Im not a moderator or anything else but I would like these forums to be kept clean and family friendly, we have several young people on these boards and I don't want them to see these rude personal attacks. And Im thinking that on note I would like this discussion to be closed. I can't stop you from posting here, but please be nice if you have something to say. Thanks again
    Tiffany~o ~ D23 member

Sufferer of Disney Vacation Depression

97'~French Quarter, 99'~CBR, 01'~Movies, 03'~Music/PORriverside/DCL, 05'~POP, 06'~Movies, 08'~Movies, 09'~Disneyland/ Embassy Suites Irvine/ 10'~Music, 12'~LBV Best Western Disney View

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast