Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Miscellaneous Discuss Woman tries to bring gun into MK in the News & Rumors forums; ...
    albino_pygmy is offline The voice of the Jungle

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???
    It doesn't take any intelligent person any time to realize that this forums glue is our overwhelming love of Disney. From our original posts it shines through. Unfortunately from time to time all mediums take on troubled souls that are only capable of expressing themselves by belittling others, an indicator of the level of true intelligence or lack there of. From my posts I too had acknowledged that there are two sides of the fence here without berating either side. Unfortunately there are a couple of posts that lack of ability to communicate with decorum and that is unfortunate. We have watched WDW evolve since 9/11 and I am confident with this latest event the powers to be will again be adjusting, which will more likely and ultimately change how we enter their World. We fans will do what we must. Anyone who knows me realizes I am a conservative woman but one who respects others opinions even if they are not my own. Reading a few posts here today it is obvious that even people who share their basic values and thoughts would have difficulties in the manner comments were delivered on this forum. It indicates some unstable thought processes and pollutes advocates of the rights to bare arms intelligent arguments with garbage talk. Unfortunate for them. Counterproductive. My concern has always been that some unstable individuals have guns. Further, that one can actually go through a security check and not have the where-with-all to remember that you have a gun and knife in a bag. The pendulum in my brain then swings the other way (which normally I'm on the fence) and think maybe indeed England could have it correct, you don't see these things happening at their schools nor their entertainment arenas either. I just like going to WDW to enjoy the atmosphere and share special time with my family. I have found great enjoyment on this forum discussing all things Disney, concerns and delights. Again sending a fresh batch of Pixie Dust to NIU students and staff as their finals resume. Peace on Earth at this special time of year to all my new friends of the World this forum represents.
    Gabe

I had a friend that was going though the ticketing gate at MK when she saw security take off running. She thought someone had fallen or something until she saw the news the next day. How do you forget it's in your purse??? I switched purses and backpacks 3 times before I even left for my trip.

http://wewantstheredhead.blogspot.com

rocknrollercfan is offline Fastpass Holder
    Waiting to leave WI and go to Disney World
    Come on. Why in the world would you bring something like that into MK? You should always remember to check what you're bringing into a place like that.

I love Donald Duck

Ashley
    Walt Disney World

Yeah it's like first off forgetting you had a loaded gun? suuure okay... and then to bring it to WDW in the first place? She obviously had some hidden agenda and it wasn't simply her forgetfullness
    All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them - Walt Disney

The problem is not the problem; the problem is your attitude about the problem - Captain Jack Sparrow

Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever - Walt Disney

nicki12 is offline Disney Fan and Twilighter
    Bringing a gun to any place what so ever is a huge deal. This a concealed weapon not a pack of gum, you don't forget something like this so easily. When you have a gun it is your responsibility for it and you should know where it is at all time if you can't do that don't even bother to have it. She can't remember that she had the gun then no longer have it.

Nicole a.k.a. nicki12 ~ a Navy daughter
    Huge fan of the Twilight Series!
    "All your dreams can come true, if you have the courage to pursue them" - Walt Disney

lilo88 is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    Quote Originally Posted by Caribbean Lady View Post
    Yeah it's like first off forgetting you had a loaded gun? suuure okay... and then to bring it to WDW in the first place? She obviously had some hidden agenda and it wasn't simply her forgetfullness
    Quote Originally Posted by nicki12 View Post
    Bringing a gun to any place what so ever is a huge deal. This a concealed weapon not a pack of gum, you don't forget something like this so easily. When you have a gun it is your responsibility for it and you should know where it is at all time if you can't do that don't even bother to have it. She can't remember that she had the gun then no longer have it.
    Thats what my point was, how do you forget something like this?!?!?
    Tiffany~o ~ D23 member

Sufferer of Disney Vacation Depression

97'~French Quarter, 99'~CBR, 01'~Movies, 03'~Music/PORriverside/DCL, 05'~POP, 06'~Movies, 08'~Movies, 09'~Disneyland/ Embassy Suites Irvine/ 10'~Music, 12'~LBV Best Western Disney View

ohiodisneydad is offline Hi, my name is David and I like Beverly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Caribbean Lady View Post
    Hidden Agenda? The lady was 63 years old. Disney holds some responsibility for this. Their securty procedures are almost non existent. Why aren't there metal detectors at the entrance to every park? They stand there and ask if you have any weaponss, c'mon! How many mass murderers do you think would answer yes? Do you really think she is the only one who has tried to go into the park with a weapon? I know for a fact that there are a few cops who take their's in. What if ths had have been someone with a mental problem, a disgruntled employee or a terrorist who wants to be famous by killing people at WDW? Disney needs to start taking safety seriously. What if this had have turned into an active shooter type incident? How long would it have take for the local sheriff's office to respond? Disney needs replace it security department or supplement it with a dedicated police department. They already have a governing municipal agency. Lake Buena Vista exists almost soley for WDW.

I carry my firearm everywhere but I am permitted because I am a police officer. I'd rather have it with me and not need it then need it and not have it.
    "Life is an occassion. Rise to it."- Mr. Magorium
    "Welcome Home"- Best words you'll ever hear when you check in at a Disney Resort

princessariel is offline Fastpass Holder
    What does her being 63 have anything to do with it?
    Summer '83-Off Site

Dec '95- Shades Of Green

March '03-All Star Movies

March '06-All Star Movies

October '07-POFQ

March '10-POFQ

March '13 POFQ

June '14 POFQ

Nov'14 All Star Sports-F&WF W&D 1/2 Marathon!

Why assume she had a hidden agenda? Studies show thrill killers or mass murderers are rarely the elderly.
    "Welcome Home"- Best words you'll ever hear when you check in at a Disney Resort

princessariel is offline Fastpass Holder
    becaus seh also had a razor blade and a knife
    Summer '83-Off Site

Dec '95- Shades Of Green

March '03-All Star Movies

March '06-All Star Movies

October '07-POFQ

March '10-POFQ

March '13 POFQ

June '14 POFQ

Nov'14 All Star Sports-F&WF W&D 1/2 Marathon!

the7thAve is offline Pepper's Ghost
    Although he did it with a jerk attitude, I agree that the "no guns" policy can no longer be enforced based on the honor system. Every time someone goes nuts in a public place and starts shooting people it adds more grounds to the argument for metal detectors at WDW.

I know it would ruin some of the "magic" for some people (I don't like the idea myself) to have to go through a metal detector, but society must do whatever it takes to ensure the safety of innocent people, whether it's at a school, or at WDW. This past trip I noticed a lot more armed guards inside WDW than I did last year when I went. Maybe it's this armed security that should be carrying the guns inside WDW, not us? That's what they get paid to do, like the military. They get paid to carry guns and put themselves in danger, should the need arise, rather than the innocent vigilantes among us.
    (Obviously, the "armed security" comment doesn't apply to all public places where there aren't security guards with firearms)

I'm a big supporter of the 2nd, but if WDW doesn't want guns inside, they need to act like it and get metal detectors.

If we can dream it, we can do it

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???
    Quote Originally Posted by ohiodisneydad View Post
    Hidden Agenda? The lady was 63 years old. Disney holds some responsibility for this. Their securty procedures are almost non existent. Why aren't there metal detectors at the entrance to every park? They stand there and ask if you have any weaponss, c'mon! How many mass murderers do you think would answer yes? Do you really think she is the only one who has tried to go into the park with a weapon? I know for a fact that there are a few cops who take their's in. What if ths had have been someone with a mental problem, a disgruntled employee or a terrorist who wants to be famous by killing people at WDW? Disney needs to start taking safety seriously. What if this had have turned into an active shooter type incident? How long would it have take for the local sheriff's office to respond? Disney needs replace it security department or supplement it with a dedicated police department. They already have a governing municipal agency. Lake Buena Vista exists almost soley for WDW. I carry my firearm everywhere but I am permitted because I am a police officer. I'd rather have it with me and not need it then need it and not have it.
    Could you possibly be underestimating the security and Orange County law enforcement? I believe that they are not that inept as to not have already addressed your thoughts. In Chicago they have just replaced their top cop with a former FBI agent do in part to the antics of their off duty officers. In suburban Chicago we have a national story going over a now ex officer with a dead wife and a missing in the mist 4th wife. In my first of two trips this year, my son, a current interning CM and I had just entered MGM as an altercation was just erupting. Security along with multiple Orange County officers, came out of nowhere from different directions in just moments. The entire group then was quickly brought back stage and the guests entering behind us unaware that a "thing" had just occurred. A good portion of Disney Security is retired officers just like you, some just put in their 20-25 years and move onto a different type of policing. It doesn't make them Mayberry hicks, but they have well educated, law experienced security guards. WDW doesn't publish what these guards are trained to do nor what equipment is at their disposal should an emergency event occur. Train for such events. It is a game of roulette should an officer from another arena interject himself with a weapon into an incident, what the outcome would be? A secondary individual with a gun. While the well meaning off duty law enforcement guest with good intentions is still an unknown entity to Orange County and Security. We see what metal detectors do to airports, I can only imagine what it would do to WDW. Someday it might come to that. But then again, with that logic we would need them at every school, grocery store, mall and endless laundry list. Then the terrorists win, for we all would live by fear. And if you are not keenly aware that you are carrying a gun and knife as this lady was, I don't think you should have a gun. If Disney has a no gun policy, the policy is for every guest. They have lock up facilities established for fire arms to accommodate those who carry outside their world. It does continue to amaze me how many people believe rules don't apply to them.

Conceited Ape is offline 6 out of 7 dwarves aren't happy.
    Good points being made so far. All I really wanted to contribute to this one is that indeed, the company does employ some very good (and very discreet) security folks that most of us wouldn't ordinarily be aware of, but they're around, and I can pretty much guarantee that they're a whole lot better at being unreasonable than you or I if we decide to spoil the magic. The kind of belligerent, politically incorrect boys (and possibly a few girls, but never met any) who understand the state of the world for how it is, not how we wish it was.

WDW is one place where I do feel a little more at ease than most, and it will be a very dark day if/when I find myself in need of a firearm inside the gates.

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    Could you possibly be underestimating the security and Orange County law enforcement? I believe that they are not that inept as to not have already addressed your thoughts. In Chicago they have just replaced their top cop with a former FBI agent do in part to the antics of their off duty officers. In suburban Chicago we have a national story going over a now ex officer with a dead wife and a missing in the mist 4th wife. In my first of two trips this year, my son, a current interning CM and I had just entered MGM as an altercation was just erupting. Security along with multiple Orange County officers, came out of nowhere from different directions in just moments. The entire group then was quickly brought back stage and the guests entering behind us unaware that a "thing" had just occurred. A good portion of Disney Security is retired officers just like you, some just put in their 20-25 years and move onto a different type of policing. It doesn't make them Mayberry hicks, but they have well educated, law experienced security guards. WDW doesn't publish what these guards are trained to do nor what equipment is at their disposal should an emergency event occur. Train for such events. It is a game of roulette should an officer from another arena interject himself with a weapon into an incident, what the outcome would be? A secondary individual with a gun. While the well meaning off duty law enforcement guest with good intentions is still an unknown entity to Orange County and Security. We see what metal detectors do to airports, I can only imagine what it would do to WDW. Someday it might come to that. But then again, with that logic we would need them at every school, grocery store, mall and endless laundry list. Then the terrorists win, for we all would live by fear. And if you are not keenly aware that you are carrying a gun and knife as this lady was, I don't think you should have a gun. If Disney has a no gun policy, the policy is for every guest. They have lock up facilities established for fire arms to accommodate those who carry outside their world. It does continue to amaze me how many people believe rules don't apply to them.
    i don't remember calling anyone a "Mayberry Hick" and trust me to a cop, retired or active, that is just plain insulting. But I do know that Security Officers, even retired cops, look at their jobs differently.

I am not underestimating the Orange County SO or WDW Security. I just know the difference a dedicated, uniformed and armed Police Force can do for safety. After all there is a reason why WDW has its own fired department and thats for response time.

I for one am willing to take the extra time to go through metal detectors if it means my family and yours might be a little safer. The world we live in has drastically changed and now areas are seen as high value targets and what higher value is there then one where American Families are enjoying an American tradition? I agree that if she can't remember that she had agun on her then she shouldn't be carrying it. After almost ten years on the road you don't have to lecture me on the dangers of carrying a gun off duty and getting involved in incidents. I carry mine everywhere and getting involved in an incident is a judgement I will make at that time, based on my experience and training. I'm painfully aware of what happens when an off duty officer gets involved. I get the funeral notifications when it happens.

This whole thread has gotten way off topic. Its turning into a 2nd amendment discussion and that wasn't its intent.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast