Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Miscellaneous Discuss Woman tries to bring gun into MK in the News & Rumors forums; Originally Posted by HauntedGabe I'm a like'n England philosophy, nobody can have them. How they pulled that off I wonder? Admirable. I was on the fence about whether to expound ...
    Conceited Ape is offline 6 out of 7 dwarves aren't happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    I'm a like'n England philosophy, nobody can have them. How they pulled that off I wonder? Admirable.
    I was on the fence about whether to expound on this one or not, but the painful truth when it comes to the UK pulling off a gun-free nation is that well, they really haven't. British police are routinely shot up by the bad guys, who import military-grade weaponry right along with drug and other contraband shipments (bad guys have a tendency to not play by the rules). Birmingham in particular has become a pretty rough town for that sort of thing over the past couple years.

johncorky5787 is offline A-Ticket holder
    One more contribution, if you don’t mind. My minor outrage was with the media and their failure to report the facts. If this lady had a CCL, she would have broken no laws. She may have broken WDW rules, but no laws. If she did not hold a CCL, she was breaking Florida law. The news never mentioned the license, or lack of.

The focus of the report was that there was a concealed and loaded gun in WDW. And the crowds went wild. She could be a mass murderer. She could be psycho. Thank God they found that weapon on her. Although you will never know, there have probably been hundreds, perhaps thousands of loaded concealed pistols within WDW.

Most of the postings here are passionate opinions. And the world does revolve around opinion. That is where laws originate. I am viewing this as an educated and concealed carry licensed gun owner. It was a media fiesta and not much more. A lot of folks took the bait. Many believe this was a rare infiltration of a family sanctuary. Personally, I don’t think it is all that uncommon.

Someone had posted that they believe in guns only as a last resort. CCL is defined as just that. A gun can only be used when you believe you are in danger of losing your life or sustaining great bodily harm. (Or someone else nearby faces the same danger) It is not a cowboy toy, or a show-off’s chick magnet. It is very simply a self defense weapon. The CCL comes with heavy responsibility. Shoot someone, even while defending your life and you will wind up having to pay an attorney and potentially face years of litigation.

Whether or not WDW should allow or disallow guns on their property is WDW’s choice. It is apparent that they do not want them there. But to approach hysteria over finding a little Beretta in an advanced adult’s purse is a waste of energy unless you work for the news.

There are thousands of people who are armed in this State, who would help you change a tire, provide directions or assist you if fallen ill and never dream of harming you. I cannot help but throw in a plug for some of the nicest people I know who shoot and carry.

There are also plenty of nuts with guns.

echoscot is offline D-Ticket Holder
    That is a great post johnnycorky, I thought that might be where you were headed when you first posted, but had to get past the emotion....

What I objected to was another gun supporter who started his first sentence labelling everyone here a "liberal". Name calling is not voicing an opinion.

We all appreciate the kind of input you just gave, and think you would find most of us are in your boat.

albino_pygmy is offline The voice of the Jungle
    Quote Originally Posted by echoscot View Post
    That is a great post johnnycorky . . . We all appreciate the kind of input you just gave, and think you would find most of us are in your boat.
    I didn't know he was a skipper. We are all armed with guns that are tethered to the boat and attached to the sound effects speaker for the protection of everyone against the dangerous and ill-tempered hippos. But don't worry, we never aim at the hippos but just in case we need to scare them off with a warning shot, we do shoot in the surrounding area and call that a hippo-shot-a-miss. I thought this thread needed some comic relief

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???
    Quote Originally Posted by Conceited Ape View Post
    I was on the fence about whether to expound on this one or not, but the painful truth when it comes to the UK pulling off a gun-free nation is that well, they really haven't. British police are routinely shot up by the bad guys, who import military-grade weaponry right along with drug and other contraband shipments (bad guys have a tendency to not play by the rules). Birmingham in particular has become a pretty rough town for that sort of thing over the past couple years.
    I was admiring England's philosophy. I yield to your expertise of England, I have never heard of it being a matter of routine for their police to be shot up. Wow routinely, who'd figure. Always horrible. My fence I was sitting on is wobbling now. See what we learn here, I would have never thought twice about going to Birmingham if you hadn't taken the time to educate us about England's gun problems. My daughter was 2 months old on her first visit to the World, I admit guns at the World is not the Pixie Dust I am accustomed too. Closest I've come to this is Frontierland's Shootin' Arcade.

Need to retreat to my warm and fuzzy thoughts of WDW and Pixie Dust.

lilo88 is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    Quote Originally Posted by albino_pygmy View Post
    I didn't know he was a skipper. We are all armed with guns that are tethered to the boat and attached to the sound effects speaker for the protection of everyone against the dangerous and ill-tempered hippos. But don't worry, we never aim at the hippos but just in case we need to scare them off with a warning shot, we do shoot in the surrounding area and call that a hippo-shot-a-miss. I thought this thread needed some comic relief
    thank you for lighting this topic up.
    Tiffany~o ~ D23 member

Sufferer of Disney Vacation Depression

97'~French Quarter, 99'~CBR, 01'~Movies, 03'~Music/PORriverside/DCL, 05'~POP, 06'~Movies, 08'~Movies, 09'~Disneyland/ Embassy Suites Irvine/ 10'~Music, 12'~LBV Best Western Disney View

cp1999 is offline D-Ticket Holder
    Last edited by cp1999; 12-20-2007 at 10:21 AM. Reason: grammer
    Mike from Rochester. Yes that Mike from Rochester.

Vista Way- 1999
    Coronado Springs- 2000
    All Star Movies- 2003
    Caribbean Beach- 2004
    Animal Kingdom Lodge- 2005
    Saratoga Springs- 2008

AllAbouttheMouseketeer #119

TEAM VOICE '09
    "Many Goals, One Voice"

rocknrollercfan is offline Fastpass Holder
    Waiting to leave WI and go to Disney World
    Im sorry but I don't believe this story at all. How can you forget about a gun in your purse? It's just hard to believe.

I love Donald Duck

Ashley
    Walt Disney World

princessariel is offline Fastpass Holder
    I still don't get how you just forget it?!?!

AND she doesn't have a permit to carry?!?!
    Summer '83-Off Site

Dec '95- Shades Of Green

March '03-All Star Movies

March '06-All Star Movies

October '07-POFQ

March '10-POFQ

March '13 POFQ

June '14 POFQ

Nov'14 All Star Sports-F&WF W&D 1/2 Marathon!

I think she has some problems, but I don't think she had criminal intent. She has been charged with a third degree felony, posession of a firearm. That is going to hurt enough.

The article saying she can't get in touch with her daughter and can't find a way home was a sad statement about the added stress to a probably already strained relationship that a "trip to Disney" was most likely meant to help heal. ( speculation on my part, but I think I am pretty close to the truth on that one) That kind of thing does break my heart.

ohiodisneydad is offline Hi, my name is David and I like Beverly.
    We'll have to see. I have an aunt that is this forgetful and I could see her in this ladies place. I'm not certain about Florida but in the county I live carrying a concelaed weapon is a diversion eligible felony because our County Prosecutor doesn't consider carrying a firearm concealed without a permit as a crime of violence. This means the suspect will have probation, or its PC name of Community Control, and pay a fine.
    "Life is an occassion. Rise to it."- Mr. Magorium
    "Welcome Home"- Best words you'll ever hear when you check in at a Disney Resort

Quote Originally Posted by ohiodisneydad View Post
    We'll have to see. I have an aunt that is this forgetful and I could see her in this ladies place. I'm not certain about Florida but in the county I live carrying a concelaed weapon is a diversion eligible felony because our County Prosecutor doesn't consider carrying a firearm concealed without a permit as a crime of violence. This means the suspect will have probation, or its PC name of Community Control, and pay a fine.

I don't know whether her felony would be diversionary or not. I looked up the charges on the Orange County Clerk of Court website. It is public record and they have a pretty good search engine to find the case and the charges.

Keasmom is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    What a sad situation for all involved. There has been some excellent commentary, on both sides of this issue, on this thread. While I do no think for a minute that she forgot about a loaded gun in her purse, she had no reason to bring it to the parks. In her interview on Fox News, she stated that she wanted to be ready to protect her family at all times (which indicates to me a conciousness of a weapon on her person), from what do you need protection at WDW? Imagine of the two fighting ladies at the teacups had been armed, who would have ended up shot?

I do, however, absolutely support the CCL and permit laws, I support our right to protect our homes, families and businesses. We own a shop in a city that has a very high strong armed robbery rate (mostly unsolved) and we keep our 9mm and another smaller weapon handy. We work very, very hard and I do not want some lazy little twerp to steal my hard work. I also have an ex-husband who made various threats (he was an abuser) and I do still look over my shoulder a lot. Having personal protection-which we have trained for- is just an extra safety so that my child grows up with her mother.

There are many great arguments to be made for being armed and Johncorky5787 has made most of them, but I do not ever see a need to take one to a place like WDW, that was just uncalled for and this family must have issues.

+++I did not intend to sound judgemental of her family, just think a logical conclusion of "problems" might be somewhat accurate based on the fact that her family abandoned her, at the gate and would not return her calls, then left her stranded in Orlando with no way to get home. My Dad has embarrassed me many times, but I always have his back. I would have simply turned around, stealthily found out where the person was being taken, helped get them back to a hotel, then resumed my day. That is the only reason I drew an inference of family problems, in my family we take care of each other no matter how dumb the event. But I was really not being a judge so thank you and I'm sorry if it sounded otherwise.
    Last edited by Keasmom; 01-09-2008 at 06:23 PM. Reason: clarification of statement regarding condition of family

nicki12 is offline Disney Fan and Twilighter
    Quote Originally Posted by cp1999 View Post
    I still don't think she forgot the gun even if she is crying or not.

Nicole a.k.a. nicki12 ~ a Navy daughter
    Huge fan of the Twilight Series!
    "All your dreams can come true, if you have the courage to pursue them" - Walt Disney

Stitch's buddy is offline Hakuna Matata
    I still dont beleive this woman had this gun for self defense she had a razor blade and knife i do beleive poeple should be allow to carry a gun( remember the story of the former miss something was being robbed when she showed whe gun and the robber left in a hurry?) IF if they go though the proper procedure i dont know about other states but Ohio you must not have a crimal record or metal heath issue also other than hunter/fisher who just went/came back hunting/fishing i dont know anybosy who carries a knife and razor around with especally going to theme park

I FINISHED my first ever race, ToT 13Kand running it again in '09

** Please, Please excuse my grammatical and spelling errors. Correct me if I'm wrong.**

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast