Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Miscellaneous Discuss Woman tries to bring gun into MK in the News & Rumors forums; Originally Posted by Keasmom What a sad situation for all involved. There has been some excellent commentary, on both sides of this issue, on this thread. While I do no ...
    ohiodisneydad is offline Hi, my name is David and I like Beverly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keasmom View Post
    What a sad situation for all involved. There has been some excellent commentary, on both sides of this issue, on this thread. While I do no think for a minute that she forgot about a loaded gun in her purse, she had no reason to bring it to the parks. In her interview on Fox News, she stated that she wanted to be ready to protect her family at all times (which indicates to me a conciousness of a weapon on her person), from what do you need protection at WDW? Imagine of the two fighting ladies at the teacups had been armed, who would have ended up shot?

I do, however, absolutely support the CCL and permit laws, I support our right to protect our homes, families and businesses. We own a shop in a city that has a very high strong armed robbery rate (mostly unsolved) and we keep our 9mm and another smaller weapon handy. We work very, very hard and I do not want some lazy little twerp to steal my hard work. I also have an ex-husband who made various threats (he was an abuser) and I do still look over my shoulder a lot. Having personal protection-which we have trained for- is just an extra safety so that my child grows up with her mother.

There are many great arguments to be made for being armed and Johncorky5787 has made most of them, but I do not ever see a need to take one to a place like WDW, that was just uncalled for and this family must have issues.
    I haven't seen her interview on Fox but from your description I do agree that it sounds like she made a conscious decision to take the gun into the park but I think that assuming her family has issues is a little extreme. Now if her family was armed as well, I think you'd have a valid point. You make an excellent point about the tea cup fight. Not that it applies to the tea Cup assault, but if the victim of an assault is armed and feels that their life is in danger they are well within their rights to defend themselves.
    "Life is an occassion. Rise to it."- Mr. Magorium
    "Welcome Home"- Best words you'll ever hear when you check in at a Disney Resort

Quote Originally Posted by Stitch's buddy View Post
    I still dont beleive this woman had this gun for self defense she had a razor blade and knife i do beleive poeple should be allow to carry a gun( remember the story of the former miss something was being robbed when she showed whe gun and the robber left in a hurry?) IF if they go though the proper procedure i dont know about other states but Ohio you must not have a crimal record or metal heath issue also other than hunter/fisher who just went/came back hunting/fishing i dont know anybosy who carries a knife and razor around with especally going to theme park
    It was a pair of scissors not a razor blade. I know plenty of people who carry knives. I said earlier on this thread it's a generational thing I think. My dad and father in law both carry pocket knives. It's just a thing they did as young people. I remember getting many pocket knives for gifts until everyone realized I didn't carry one then but I do NOW. Mostly for something simple like cutting open packages if my kids by something but also for cutting seatbelts if there is an accident.
    "Welcome Home"- Best words you'll ever hear when you check in at a Disney Resort

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???
    I believe that there are probably hundreds of folks in a given day at WDW with a pocket knife and really don't have any reservations about them. The deputies in the MK incident described the knife as a Locking Knife which is very different from a pocket knife. Being from the Upper Mid-West and being around many fisherman and hunters most carry Locking Knifes for necessity of turning the Nemo's and Bambi's into...well food. Not my thing but to each their own sport.
    Anyhow here is a picture for you folks that are not exposed to such knives. I pulled it from a link from a hunting site in the picture. I do have great reservations about this type of knife coming into the MK, while out in the woods hunting or fishing, I understand. Not what my grandpa carried by any means. The example picture is a cheap, small one, less than $l0. Depending on where you reside many localities ban carrying locking knifes on your person as they do not collapse as a pocket knife does. Thus Locking
    Doesn't exactly scream Pixie Dust.

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    I believe that there are probably hundreds of folks in a given day at WDW with a pocket knife and really don't have any reservations about them. The deputies in the MK incident described the knife as a Locking Knife which is very different from a pocket knife. Being from the Upper Mid-West and being around many fisherman and hunters most carry Locking Knifes for necessity of turning the Nemo's and Bambi's into...well food. Not my thing but to each their own sport.
    Anyhow here is a picture for you folks that are not exposed to such knives. I pulled it from a link from a hunting site in the picture. I do have great reservations about this type of knife coming into the MK, while out in the woods hunting or fishing, I understand. Not what my grandpa carried by any means. The example picture is a cheap, small one, less than $l0. Depending on where you reside many localities ban carrying locking knifes on your person as they do not collapse as a pocket knife does. Thus Locking
    Doesn't exactly scream Pixie Dust.
    Wait, wait, wait. A knife is a knife. Regardless of locking or not. A knife with a blade of 3 inches is enough to puncture the heart or lungs if you hit the right place. Now my dad carries a Barlow Knife wihch was popular in the 60's. I carry a knife similiar to the one above made by Smith and Wesson. We don't know how big her knife was. I've seen similiar knives like the one above that have a blade length between 1.5 to 2 inches. My big concern with this whole thing is what if the wrong person brought a weapon into the park to commit as many deaths as possible.

Besides this there are now cell phone guns and cell phone knives on the market as well. Sounds kinda 007-ish but they are out there. You ahve belt buckles that have knives built into them or that come apart to make a dagger.

Conceited Ape is offline 6 out of 7 dwarves aren't happy.
    Like Ohio, I'm another individual who carries a blade as a matter of routine, for the sake of its use as an emergency tool --seat belts for one, as already sagely pointed out, but something handy and sharp can also be a life saver when it comes to last ditch surgery. No kidding. Case in point, I personally feel it's very irresponsible for the average citizen to study contact martial arts for the sake of self defense without having the know-how (not to mention the stomach) to perform an emergency tracheotomy. If you lose your head and crush the bad guy's windpipe in the heat of the moment, you can pretty much count on going to court regardless of the circumstances, and it will look a lot better on you as a defendant if you saved this clown's life. Manslaughter or 2nd degree murder charges can and do come about in obvious cases of self defense.

While it's correct that a blade is a blade is a blade, the style of the instrument goes a very long way in limiting it's value as a weapon. A well-made knife intended for the sole purpose of cutting up our fellow man would have a guard on the hilt (usually double edged non-folder, and with the legal definition of a "dagger," which is a major no-no to carry in most places) to protect the hand. Human hide is tougher than most folks realize, to say nothing of what tends to happen when the metal hits bone (and no, I've never stabbed anyone, and here's hoping the trend continues). Even in a tight, committed grip, the majority of folders without this piece are going to slip back into the hand upon contact, which would be a serious ouchie for the attacker. In Los Angeles, for one example, carrying a gun without a permit is a misdemeanor, whereas a concealed non-locking knife is a felony (3" and must be able to fold is the legal limit, and thankfully, the cops do tend to be more lenient with military dudes). While this is one that doesn't make too much sense to most when they hear it, there is somewhat of a method to the madness. The general consensus is that while guns are one thing, nice people don't carry knives at all, and it also goes to show how seriously the authorities in LA county take to knife fighting cultures--outlaw motorcycle clubs, ethnic gangs and all else.

It goes without saying that if you've taken it upon yourself to carry the tool, we do so discreetly. Flaunting any kind of knife, or pulling one out when not entirely appropriate tends to get you lumped into the danger category in a hurry. As evident here, a bare blade tends to make a lot of folks very uneasy, and some more so than others--Aichmophobia is the term Google returned on this one. Heh, can't help but think of someone pale and woozy at the thought of sharp stuff, yet drives at 90 miles an hour weaving in and out of traffic to stay on someone else's bumper....... go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by ohiodisneydad View Post
    Wait, wait, wait. A knife is a knife. Regardless of locking or not. A knife with a blade of 3 inches is enough to puncture the heart or lungs if you hit the right place. Now my dad carries a Barlow Knife wihch was popular in the 60's. I carry a knife similiar to the one above made by Smith and Wesson. We don't know how big her knife was. I've seen similiar knives like the one above that have a blade length between 1.5 to 2 inches. My big concern with this whole thing is what if the wrong person brought a weapon into the park to commit as many deaths as possible.

Besides this there are now cell phone guns and cell phone knives on the market as well. Sounds kinda 007-ish but they are out there. You ahve belt buckles that have knives built into them or that come apart to make a dagger.
    Wow! I'm not quite sure how to wrap my brain around some of these thoughts. I am old enough to remember the Get Smart, TV Sitcom and enjoyed it, so comical. You brought back funny memories. I agree with Conceited Ape that the value of a knife depends a great deal on its type. Much why I wasn't too concerned about a pocket knife. My thoughts were to my comfort within WDW along with the woman at the MK at security. At this point I refuse to live in terror or in fear of terrorists. Happily I've made almost 2 dozen trips by air to WDW and most of our trips have been l0-16 days without the need or desire to arm myself at WDW and hope to keep it that way. I will not live my life in fear of peoples belt buckles, cell phones, etc. I believe the odds are with me and I cannot prepare for every possible horrible event and don't wish to spend my life in that type of dimension. I do understand others find comfort in preparing for all the what ifs. When it is my time........... God willing, I will have many more happy trips to WDW before then.

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    Wow! I'm not quite sure how to wrap my brain around some of these thoughts. I am old enough to remember the Get Smart, TV Sitcom and enjoyed it, so comical. You brought back funny memories. I agree with Conceited Ape that the value of a knife depends a great deal on its type. Much why I wasn't too concerned about a pocket knife. My thoughts were to my comfort within WDW along with the woman at the MK at security. At this point I refuse to live in terror or in fear of terrorists. Happily I've made almost 2 dozen trips by air to WDW and most of our trips have been l0-16 days without the need or desire to arm myself at WDW and hope to keep it that way. I will not live my life in fear of peoples belt buckles, cell phones, etc. I believe the odds are with me and I cannot prepare for every possible horrible event and don't wish to spend my life in that type of dimension. I do understand others find comfort in preparing for all the what ifs. When it is my time........... God willing, I will have many more happy trips to WDW before then.
    Glad I could make you laugh but these items do exist. I have seen the data sheets on them. Your statement about not living in fear or in fear of terrorists is right on the money! That's when they win!

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    Not to dredge up any old debates here, but I found a follow up on this incident today:
    The New Age Examiner - Charges dropped in Disney gun case

The charges against the woman were dropped in April because the police felt there wasn't sufficient evidence to prosecute. It hit the news now because her court date was supposed to have been June 2 and it was erroneously not deleted from the court's calendar.
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

Wow!

Thanks for the update.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456