Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Miscellaneous Discuss Disney Buses in the News & Rumors forums; I was wondering if any one knows were disney gets there buses? The reason I ask is I live in Fort Worth, Tx and while driving My wife and I ...
    jturnipseed is offline A-Ticket holder

Question Disney Buses

I was wondering if any one knows were disney gets there buses? The reason I ask is I live in Fort Worth, Tx and while driving My wife and I drove up beside a Disney Resort Bus. Most of the decals were covered. Kinda like it had just been painted and they didn't want to get any chips in the paint. Except for one that had blown back a little. However the tags were from Indiana. We saw it south of I-20 on 360 headed toward I-20 which makes no sense for just driving though since from that location and direction of traval there is no other Interstate highways. I would say they where tring to hide the fact that it was a disney bus, but the digital display read Walt Disney World with a digital mickey beside it. Anyway I thought it was odd and thought I would ask.

biblioadonis is offline B-Ticket Holder
    If this Wikipedia article about Gillig is correct, they are the current manufacturer of the fleet.

Gillig's Low Floor product displaced the longtime incumbent RTS and Nova in the fleet of the Walt Disney World Transportation Company.

Gillig - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Gillig is located in Hayward, CA.

I hope this helps!
    Last edited by biblioadonis; 01-05-2008 at 11:51 AM. Reason: typo
    George
    http://www.imaginerding.com

Jeff did our logo...do you like it?

eyeinthesky is offline C-Ticket Holder
    It's likely you saw a rare site, a brand new Disney bus heading from the manufacturing plant in California to WDW in Florida. Disney has been using Gillig for thier buses lately after the Nova was cut from the US market. The Nova is a Canadian company, owned by Volvo. Due to financial restructuring of the company, they no longer sell Novas in the US market. (These are the buses with the round headlights.)

The RTS, the older, higher bus that Disney uses is still being manufactured in Roswell, New Mexico but the patents and deigns have been bought and sold more times than anyone can count. They were first owned and designed by GMC but the company was bought and sold many times. Until 2003 the RTS was owned by Nova Bus (also Volvo) but none have been purchased by Disney since. The RTS is now being manufactured by another company, Millennium Bus, stil in New Mexico and still the same design, which was created in the mid-70's.

Disney has found the low floor design of the Gillig to be more disabilty friendly and fuel efficient too. It's unlikely we will see new RTS buses at WDW ever again even though they are still being made. You just might see more of these Gilligs on the road in the future. Keep your camera in the car, I'd love to see a "disguised " Disney bus photo!
    Creator, The Best of Walt Disney World
    www.bestwdw.com

Tmntrans is offline Fastpass Holder
    I worked for 6 year on the first gen RTS when Greyhound got the contract to do maintenance on New Orleans RTA fleet. Those first gen were/are piles of junk. Disney has me in awe on how good they have re-engineered alot problems that were present with that bus. I can't tell u how manytimes the first gen with the electronic shifter actually shifted itself into gear and drove itself off the pit. Or blew the a/c condenser up on top of the bus.

jturnipseed is offline A-Ticket holder
    I wish I would have had my Camera, it was pretty cool. The bus was one of the low floor buses. If I see another in the area I will be sure to get a pic.