Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Miscellaneous Discuss Walt Disney in the News & Rumors forums; I'm researching about Walt Disney; who he was as a person, as the founder of the Walt Disney Company and how he paved the way for modern Imagineering (example: how ...

Walt Disney

I'm researching about Walt Disney; who he was as a person, as the founder of the Walt Disney Company and how he paved the way for modern Imagineering (example: how the Matterhorn - Walt's own creation, I believe - had round rails... this was an idea ahead of his time, and now most, if not all,l modern roller coasters).

If anyone knows of any great books about this or any great websites about this, please post them here!
    All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them - Walt Disney

The problem is not the problem; the problem is your attitude about the problem - Captain Jack Sparrow

Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever - Walt Disney

Disney05 is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    I'm currently reading "Walt Disney: An American Original". I think it has a lot of what you're looking for.
    When you wish upon a star.....
    LAUGHTER IS TIMELESS, IMAGINATION HAS NO AGE AND DREAMS ARE FOREVER.
    Adults are only kids grown up, anyway. WD
    ...That's the real trouble with the world. Too many people grow up. WD
    "For those who get it, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't, no explanation will do."

http://wdwhomesick.wordpress.com/

biblioadonis is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Try The Disney Mountains by Jason Surrell and Walt Disney Imagineering. Both are phenominal.

I did a book review of The Disney Mountains:
    Imaginerding: We're Bringin' Nerdy Back!: Daily Figment 62: Book Review: The Disney Mountains

I did a mini-review if the Imagineering book here:
    Imaginerding: We're Bringin' Nerdy Back!: Daily Figment 96 - It's Beginning to Look...

If I remember correctly, Arrow developed and built the trak and ride system for the MAtterhorn. Walt wanted a steel roller coaster and they looked to Arrow to build the track.
    Last edited by biblioadonis; 01-23-2008 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Wrong links...
    George
    http://www.imaginerding.com

Jeff did our logo...do you like it?

ghasty is offline B-Ticket Holder

Walt Disney: The Triumph of the American Imagination

I'd recommend this book by Neal Gabler

biblioadonis is offline B-Ticket Holder
    I read the Neal Gabler book and found its detail rather exhausting. I am in the middle of An Animated Man by Michale Barrier and I am enjoying it so much more. The Gable book is pretty dense and he does portray a rather vindictive and negative Walt Disney.
    George
    http://www.imaginerding.com

Jeff did our logo...do you like it?

Sorria is offline Fastpass Holder
    I'd like to second the recommendation of "Walt Diseny: An American Original". I got the book last year and it is very interesting and educational.
    Upcoming Trips to WDW:

Dec 6-10: Disney Wonder
    Dec 10-19: Port Orleans French Quarter

HiddenMick is offline C-Ticket Holder
    A short but interseting book is The Magical Life of Walt Disney: Discovering Walt by Jeanne Pierre-Isbouts.

It had a lot of little known information but had nothing on WDW except for Wakt's Plans for EPCOT, and barely any of that!!!

also try: Chronology of the Walt Disney Company A very detailed timeline of the Walt Disney Company. If you do not reallty care about all the little things like the day Walt sent Alice's Wonderland 6 to Margaret Winkler don't waste ur time, though.
    Can't run away from Trouble, ain't no place that far.