Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Miscellaneous Discuss Universal's backlot on fire in the News & Rumors forums; UNIVERSAL CITY, Calif. - A large fire raged on a back lot at Universal Studios on Sunday, devouring several movie sets and the theme park's King Kong attraction, officials said. ...
    albino_pygmy is offline The voice of the Jungle

Unhappy Universal's backlot on fire

UNIVERSAL CITY, Calif. - A large fire raged on a back lot at Universal Studios on Sunday, devouring several movie sets and the theme park's King Kong attraction, officials said.

The King Kong exhibit is a stop on the studio's tram tour where the giant ape bellows at passengers and artificial banana scent fills the area, studio spokesman Eliot Sekuler said.

Los Angeles County Fire Inspector Daryl Jacobs said at least one building had burned and as many as three blocks of movie facades were destroyed.

Two mock New York and New England streets used for movie making and tourist displays were "a total loss," he said.

Though the fire was contained, it was still raging, Jacobs said.

The blaze broke out just before dawn on a sound stage at the 400-acre property, fire Capt. Frank Reynoso said. There was at least one explosion.

A thick column of smoke rose thousands of feet into the air and for a time helicopters swept in to drop water.

More than 100 firefighters were trying to prevent the flames from spreading to nearby brush, Reynoso said. One firefighter was hospitalized for unspecified injuries.

Sekuler said the theme park would open Sunday, though the studio tour would not go to the King Kong part of the attraction. He said a commercial shoot was going on when the fire broke out. The cause of the fire is under investigation.

Universal Studios is located nine miles north of downtown Los Angeles that has thrill rides and a back lot where movies and television shows are filmed.

Some of the more familiar attractions on the back lot are the clock tower from the "Back To The Future" movies and the house featured in "Psycho."

Scenes from several blockbuster films and television shows have been filmed at the studios, including "War of the Worlds," "When Harry met Sally" and "Scrubs."

Large fire devours movie sets at Universal Studios - Yahoo! News
    Last edited by albino_pygmy; 06-01-2008 at 01:15 PM.

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    Haven't seen any news yet today so I don't know if it made the news here. Hope no one was injured.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

wdw4us2 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Jensen Beach, FL - 2 hours from the Mouse House
    That's so sad. DH and I went on the tour back in 1986 before the Florida park was opened. It really was a nice tour with a lot of film history.

I hope they didn't lose too much.
    Lisa

"No capes!"

tarynkelly is offline Waiting for Paris Mousemeet in Dec 2009!!!!! Woo Hoo
    Scurrying back to my closet before Debs catches me!!
    That is very sad, I am glad they have duplicates of all the film that was lost.

good thing the Bates Motel or JAWS isnt burned up
    Adrien

Your 14 year old disney expert!

If I go crazy, will you still call me superman?

Keasmom is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    And it was all started by a blowtorch, used during the construction of a roof. (according to Fox news, of course)
    P.U.S.H.-A mantra MOST will not understand.

Disney rocks, Walt was a genius.

Tinkgirl is offline Thanks for the Memories :3
    Man!That just plain sad dude!
    TinkGirl
    2007-2009
    I may come back full swing one day, foolish mortals, maybe one day.