Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Miscellaneous Discuss Where, Oh, Where, Have all the Disney Stores gone?! in the News & Rumors forums; I have noticed that all the Disney stores have been dissapearing, one by one. But not just the store, but the outlet stores as well. In our mall we had ...
    redheadbrown is offline Annual Passholder

Exclamation Where, Oh, Where, Have all the Disney Stores gone?!

I have noticed that all the Disney stores have been dissapearing, one by one. But not just the store, but the outlet stores as well. In our mall we had a BIG Disney Store and then about four years ago it got replaced by Hollister . Then we had two Disney outlet stores within an hours radius from our house and they have closed ! They where my "recharge" for when I was in a "Disney Slump", as my mom calls it. You know that's when you miss Disney World so bad, it's you can think about. I read on Intercot somewhere that Disney bought back the Disney Store from the Children's Place and that they will start to come back. Has anybody else been loosing their Disney Stores and/or outlet stores? Please reply.
    -Zac

Stitch is offline Blogger, Artist, Creative Genius
    When Disney bought the stores back from the Children's Place it decided to close may 100 stores? Might be more, might be less, I can't remember.

Here is a thread that talks all about the closings. My state lost all but 1.

http://www.disneyworldtrivia.com/for...ney-store.html

ryankcr is offline A-Ticket holder
    My sister-in-law and I asked an employee at the new store near her house because the older store at their mall was closing. She said Disney was buying back some of the stores and closing the rest. She told us that if they were going out they would have started closing sales by mid-May. I don't know if that was just in PA or if that was nation-wide. The store by our house is remaining open so hopefully she was on track with what she said.
    These are a fewof our favorite things

Mickey's#1Fan is offline Ready to go back to the World!
    Massachusetts... not close enough to the world :(
    the Disney store in the Holyoke Mall in Mass is gone!!! i am incredibly distraught! and i know a Disney store in CT is gone as well i believe it is the one in Manchester!! i am also wondering why why why would the world tourture me with taking away my beloved Disney store!!!
    Jennah
    Remember the MAGIC
    "a dream can be a dream come true with just that spark in me and you!"
    "in the big blue world...."
    "because i'm a lady... thats why"
    "it's a great BIG beautiful tomorrow!""Beware of hitch hiking ghosts!!"
    "it's hard to be cool when your dad is goofy!"

"please do not put on your safety goggles until you are safely seated safely inside the theater safely"- dr. nigel channing imagination institute

check...check...check...check...applause- four for a dollar

WDW
    Trips: '90 '91 '92 '93 '94 '95 '96 '97 '98 '99 '00 '01 '02 '03 '04
    '05 '06 '07 '08 '09 '10 '12

Stitch is offline Blogger, Artist, Creative Genius
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickey's#1Fan View Post
    the Disney store in the Holyoke Mall in Mass is gone!!! i am incredibly distraught! and i know a Disney store in CT is gone as well i believe it is the one in Manchester!! i am also wondering why why why would the world tourture me with taking away my beloved Disney store!!!
    ALL the DS in CT are gone except the West Farms Mall one. That's the one located in West Hartford/Farmingdale.

tiggerguy is offline one of the good guys
    actually it's Farmington
    Brian
    WDWRadio Moderator

tiggerwannabe is offline ~Disney is my Therapy~
    °O° cj/nj °O°

°O°The Key to Happiness is Self Delusion°O°

DTSZ is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Our local store at the Laurel Park Place Mall in Livonia, MI closed in May too!
    DTSZ

Smack81 is offline Long Live IllumiNations!
    So far as I know, the store closest to me (on the south side of Chicago) is still open, but maybe I better go check. (I'm feeling a wee bit nervous, having read this thread...)

Mickey's#1Fan is offline Ready to go back to the World!
    Massachusetts... not close enough to the world :(
    ALL the DS in CT are gone except the West Farms Mall one. That's the one located in West Hartford/Farmingdale.
    thanks!! glad to know i wont have to travel to the ends of the earth to find my disney paraphernalia... although it would make a great excuse to take more trips to the world!
    Jennah
    Remember the MAGIC
    "a dream can be a dream come true with just that spark in me and you!"
    "in the big blue world...."
    "because i'm a lady... thats why"
    "it's a great BIG beautiful tomorrow!""Beware of hitch hiking ghosts!!"
    "it's hard to be cool when your dad is goofy!"

"please do not put on your safety goggles until you are safely seated safely inside the theater safely"- dr. nigel channing imagination institute

check...check...check...check...applause- four for a dollar

WDW
    Trips: '90 '91 '92 '93 '94 '95 '96 '97 '98 '99 '00 '01 '02 '03 '04
    '05 '06 '07 '08 '09 '10 '12

tiggerwannabe is offline ~Disney is my Therapy~
    What's in store for the Disney Stores
    With nearly a hundred of these shops closing around the country this week, Jim Hill looks to the future of this troubled retail chain. To be specific, Disney Consumer Products' plans to make the Disney Stores seems special & unique again
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's been kind of a tough week for Disneyana fans. Given that -- all over the country -- Disney Stores are shutting down. Rockford, IL. Naples, FL. Four stores in Michigan. 6 in Missouri. 9 in New York State. A whopping 16 stores closing in Pennsylvania.

All told, 98 Disney Stores in the U.S. will be closing / have already closed this week. Plus three more stores in Canada. Bringing this once seemingly ubiquitous retail chain down from its one-time high of 693 stores to just 220.

But the good news is ... Disney Consumer Products has big plans for this recently reacquired asset. Following this (hopefully) final round of liquidation & restructuring, Mouse House officials hope that this once-ridiculously-profitable retail chain (Disney used to boast that it averaged merchandise sales of $600 per square foot of selling space at these shops. Which was better than twice the industry average for a specialty retailer) is just the right size now for a relaunch.

I'll say this much. Based on comments that Andrew Mooney (i.e. Chairman of Disney Consumer Products) made earlier this month at the Licensing International Expo 2008, the company is definitely hoping that the coming scarcity of Disney Stores will help reignite the public's interest in shopping at this chain.

"Previously, we just had too many stores," Mooney admitted. "In the Buffalo area alone, we had 7 Disney Stores. Which is 6 too many to my way of thinking. We want these Stores to seem special and unique again. Which is why we have no plans at this time to add any new units to the chain."

Andrew Mooney speaking at the 2008 Licensing International Expo.
    Photo by Jeff Lange

If anything, following this month's massive round of closings, Disney Consumer Products may then go on to shutter additional stores in North America while it then opens new units in other parts of the U.S. And Canada. As the Mouse struggles to find the best possible location for each unit of this retail chain.

As for an actual business plan for the Disney Stores ... Well, DCP insiders that I spoke with this week kept referencing "Back to the Future." As in: The key to the Disney Store's future success is to embrace the way that this retail chain used to be run back in the mid-1990s. Back when DS Cast Members were being encouraged to embrace the MAGIC Guest Service program. As in:

Maintain Your Presence
    Assess Your Guest
    Greet Your Guest
    Individualize Service
    Conclude
    In short, Disney Consumer Products is looking for a return of the sort of the Guest Service that the Disney Stores used to have. Back when the store's employees were actively encouraged to exceed Guests expectations. Rather than just push the plush.

If the folks at Disney Consumer Products are right and the combination of far fewer stores & better Guest Service then results in a real revival of this retail chain ... Well, this could have a huge impact on the Walt Disney Company's bottom line. Let's remember that -- back in the day -- the typical Guest was a repeat customer, someone who shopped at their local Disney Store (on average) once a month. With a quarter of those customers shopping far more frequently, visiting their local Disney Store 20 times a year.

Copyright Disney. All Rights Reserved

I know, I know. We're suddenly getting into specifics here. That's because one of my DCP sources slipped me some documents that reveal what a goldmine the Disney Stores used to be for the company back in the early 1990s. Back before Mickey got greedy and tried to open a unit of this retail chain in every single mall in North America. Back in the day, the Disney Stores had real customer loyalty. With ...

" ... 75% of (our customers rating) our Guest Service as superior to the best practices of other retailers, including premier retailers such as Nordstrom, The Gap and Macy's."

More to the point, the Mouse knew exactly who their best customers were back then. To be specific, she was ...

" ... a middle to upper income female who is between the ages of 25 to 35 years old. Additionally, she is predominantly a mother of young children, mostly under the age of 12."

Disney Consumer Products is hoping that the newly downsized Disney Store chain will be able to recapture that sort of brand / customer loyalty by insisting that the Cast Members who still work at the remaining North American stores undergo retraining that stressed product knowledge as well as greater Guest Service.

"Our ultimate goal here is that the Disney Store will be different from all the other stores at the mall," Mooney continued. "That it once again will have a uniqueness and a specialness."

Copyright Disney. All Rights Reserved

Unfortunately, the only way to achieve uniqueness & specialness in today's marketplace is to actively cut back of the number of Disney Stores that you find in North America. Which brings us back to this week's closings.

So my apologies if you're a Disneyana fan who lives out in Palm Springs or Davenport or Toronto. I know it's gotta be tough to have your local Disney Store shutter.

But if you can just look at the bigger picture here ... With far fewer units in this retail chain and a renewed emphasis on Guest Service, the Disney Stores that remain open will now seem like that far more special places to shop.

That is -- of course -- if you can actually afford the gas that you'll now need to drive on out to the other Mall.

But what do you folks think? Has Disney Consumer Products actually come up with a workable plan here to revive this retail chain? Here on in, will the relative scarcity of Disney Stores drive up demand for the sorts of goods sold here and -- by proxy -- change the public's perception of these once-'way-too-easy-to-find shops?

Your thoughts?

Share this Article email it! | del.ici.ous! | digg it! | reddit!

Subscribe in a reader (RSS)

Published Friday, June 27, 2008 12:00 AM
    Filed under Disney, Disney Consumer Products, Disney Store, Canada, Toronto, cast members, cast member, Disneyana fans, retail chain , revival , Disney Stores, Rockford IL, Naples FL, Michigan, Missouri, New York State, Pennsylvania, liquidation , restructuring, selling space , industry average , specialty retailer, relaunch, Andrew Mooney , Chairman of Disney Consumer Products, Licensing International Expo, Licensing International Expo 2008, scarcity , reignite , Buffalo, special , unique , chain, North America , DCP , "Back to the Future" , mid-1990s, DS, MAGIC Guest Service program, Maintain Your Presence, Assess Your Guest, Greet Your Guest, Individualize Service, Conclude, exceed expectations, bottom line , repeat customer, premier retailers , Nordstrom, The Gap , Macy’s, best customers , brand loyalty, customer loyalty , mall , today's marketplace , Palm Springs , Davenport, units , public perception

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Copyright © 2001 - 2007 JimHillMedia.com. All rights reserved.

JimHillMedia.com does not claim to represent the Walt Disney Company in any way,
    and JimHillMedia.com is not an employee or employed by The Walt Disney Company.
    For more, please see the Disclaimer
    °O° cj/nj °O°

°O°The Key to Happiness is Self Delusion°O°

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd
    I've not even thought to check to see if the one in the mall by us is still open. I believe it is.
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

bety is offline Disney World Beast
    I went to the mall today for the first time in a while, and I noticed that our Disney store is gone too. It's pretty sad.
    July 1994- off site
    February 1999- Port Orleans Riverside
    March 2000- Caribbean Beach
    January 2004- off site
    February 2006- Pop Century
    April 2006- off site
    January 2007- Pop Century
    December 2007- Coronado Springs
    December 2008- Pop Century
    December 2009- Coronado Springs/All Star Sports
    Next trip: December 2010- All Star Music