Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Miscellaneous Discuss Travel Channel Ultimate WDW Fan Show in the News & Rumors forums; As I'm sure many of you know, the Travel Channel put out a call a few months back for casting of their upcoming "Ultimate Walt Disney World Fan Show". The ...
    Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - WDW Trivia Book Author and Site Owner/Admin

Unhappy Travel Channel Ultimate WDW Fan Show

As I'm sure many of you know, the Travel Channel put out a call a few months back for casting of their upcoming "Ultimate Walt Disney World Fan Show". The posts on some other sites asked for a 1 page letter and photos telling them why you should be the ultimate fan.

I sent my letter in late February. Surprisingly, I received a call from the Producer of the show just a few days later, who interviewed me for about 2 1/2 hours. (They later posted an online form with specific questions, and requests for video tapes.)

Well, it's official...
    After two months of back and forth phone conversations, video tapes, and anticipation... we finally got the call on Friday night.

We were down to the last few couples, but didn't make it. Needless to say, I'm not a happy camper.

My first conversation was almost three hours back in February (before the deadline extensions, online forms and guidelines were even posted). I sent in a tape, as well as information about the book, sample pages, etc. We spoke a few more times, and was asked if we were availble the last week in March to the first week in April. I later found that the dates for couples taping was pushed back, as a final decision hadn't been made as yet.

I spoke with the Producers a number of times, and was told that it was down to just a few couples, out of the few hundred tapes they received.

But in a bad ending to a bad week, the fateful call came on Friday.

Not that any of you would necessarily care if we were on, but I was really hoping to get on and represent (and promote, if possible) the site. C'est la vie, I guess.

Anyway, just thought I'd share the crummy news. But, did anyone else from here make it or know someone that did? If so, (I'm really not bitter), I'd love to hear about the experience, any details as far as air dates, etc.
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

TrendyMagic is offline On Mars
    Well you got further than I did. I did see Lightship TV filming at MGM a week ago or so. They were with three teenage girls in front of the hat.

crashbunny is offline Moderator
    sorry to hear about that - you'd be perfect for that show!

Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - WDW Trivia Book Author and Site Owner/Admin
    Thanks. I was pretty bummed about it. It sounds like it would have been so much fun to do!! (Curious to see who they picked instead of us... maybe I'm not such a big Disney dork after all!)

Quote Originally Posted by crashbunny
    sorry to hear about that - you'd be perfect for that show!
    Lou Mongello

bigbrian-nc.com is offline WDW: A History In Postcards
    Do you have any idea when the show will air? I'm curious if the person who won will be anyone we all know too.

Walt Disney World: A History in Postcards

The producer I was dealing with told me that it would likely air sometime in the Fall. Then again, he said that was tentative at best, and I know that there were some delays with the filming schedule.

Upset that I was (am?) about getting so close and not being selected, I'm still looking forward to seeing it, as I really enjoy all of the Travel Channel specials on WDW.
    (Plus, I want to see the dorks they chose instead of us)
    Lou Mongello

Quote Originally Posted by bigbrian-nc.com
    I'm curious if the person who won will be anyone we all know too.
    There are several 'groups' of people. I know there are several different groups they cast so they could give a good perspective for all. The one day I saw them at MGM they were filming 3 girls that were in their 20s. It is still too long away whenever it airs.

ladymarganne is offline A-Ticket holder
    Ohhhh, Lou! They kept us hanging, too....right up until the very end! They kept calling with more questions right up until the final day and we talked for hours. Although I told them about my family, I got the impression that it was because we don't have grandchildren. Our youngest is 25. Maybe I should have rented some. Hhhmmm.....new get rich quick bussiness maybe? lol

I know... I almost would have been less diappointed had they said "no" right from the beginning. I also felt we were at a slight disadvantage by getting the call so early - way before they posted the online forms and explained exactly what they were looking for. Knowing that we got down to the last few couples almost made it worse... (waiting like a teenage girl by the phone for it to ring with the the "Congratulations" call that never came!)

There's a part of me (the childish, bitter part) that doesn't even want to see the show, but I know I'm going to Tivo it as soon as it airs!
    Lou Mongello

Well the good news is you got noticed. They didn't even acknowledge me. Not even "we got your **** and are throwing it away". It is like I vanished into a black hole.

PS, Many 'lost' grandchildren can be claimed daily at WDW, Pick up a set today!

tiggerguy is online now All Around Good Guy
    Quote Originally Posted by TrendyMagic
    Well the good news is you got noticed. They didn't even acknowledge me. Not even "we got your **** and are throwing it away". It is like I vanished into a black hole.

PS, Many 'lost' grandchildren can be claimed daily at WDW, Pick up a set today!

and the ones gthat were not claimed can now be found in "IASW"
    Brian
    WDWRadio Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by tiggerguy
    and the ones gthat were not claimed can now be found in "IASW"

Than't why they are doing that year long rehab!

Just a quick update. Looks that this show will be airing on August 1st at 9pm on Travel.

Quote Originally Posted by TrendyMagic
    Just a quick update. Looks that this show will be airing on August 1st at 9pm on Travel.
    Oh, wonderful. This way I can be nice and aggravated for my birthday the next day.

:p
    Lou Mongello

mondo1748 is offline B-Ticket Holder
    I think I know what it was. You have it all....the website, the book, the "I know my stuff" attitude.....BUT thats not what there looking for. I think there probably looking for the person that will act like a goofy idiot on camera and make us all look like Disney geeks instead of a hobby of sorts. If they ever do a serious Disney TV show I want you to present....I want a respectable person to illustrate the Place I love to visit without making me look geekish....so when the day comes to make that you have my vote buddy.
    Last edited by mondo1748; 07-19-2004 at 04:29 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast