Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Miscellaneous Discuss Why people choose Disney over Universal, in the News & Rumors forums; Disney for us.......43 trips to WDW and no itch to go off site, never have and never will. everything we want or need is right at our door step and ...
    grumpy of ohio is offline C-Ticket Holder

Re: Why people choose Disney over Universal,

Disney for us.......43 trips to WDW and no itch to go off site, never have and never will. everything we want or need is right at our door step and we're not thrill people, prefer attraction style venue.

pranker51502 is offline Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy of ohio View Post
    Disney for us.......43 trips to WDW and no itch to go off site, never have and never will. everything we want or need is right at our door step and we're not thrill people, prefer attraction style venue.
    I agree. Except, having experiences at both parks, I honestly think Disney's rides are a lot more thrilling than Universal/IoA. So you're not missing a thing.

Annual Passholder: '06,'07,'08,'09,'10,'11

Quote Originally Posted by zippitydoodah View Post
    I will say however that if people have never been to Islands of Adventure they should try it, just once. Its nothing like a 6 flags park, at least way better than them! They seriously do a great job with the theming (at least theyre TRYING to take some tips from Disney haha) and the spiderman ride is totally unique... nothing like it. I may not be rushing back like I do with Disney, it is for sure a park thats worth visiting at least once I think.
    Universal actually reminds me a lot of Six Flags over Georgia, minus the themed shops.

DisneyDreamer13 is offline A good friend gets you out of jail, a great friend wakes up next to you!
    6,976km from Cinderella Castle / 408km from Sleeping Beauty Castle

i think Universal has some great thrill rides that offer amazing effects, WDW on the other hand offers the special effects in every detail on and off rides. The smells, the music, the decoration, the CM's etc. For a teenager i think the rides at US & IoA would have a big pull, but Disney offers a total escape from reality as soon as you arrive on site which i adore.

I respect what US & IoA have to offer, but i love WDW and the magic there
    x FIONA x
    1989 WDW Offsite1990 WDWOffsite1991Offsite/Contemporary1992 EuroDisney Offsite(schooltrip)
    1992 WDW Offsite/GrandFloridian2001 DLP Davy CrocketRanch2008 Offsite villa/Contempoary
    2009DLP Hotel Santa Fe 2010Clearwater/get married/POR
    Sisterhood of the travelling pirate in the pants

Tim
    Tim is offline D-Ticket Holder

My way of thinking is that Disney is like an immediate, important member of the family. Universal, Six Flags, and others are like 2nd cousins.
    Tim

albino_pygmy is offline The voice of the Jungle

Quote Originally Posted by Disnyfan83 View Post
    I am a Disney park fan through and through - but I've got to admit that I really enjoy the two parks over at Universal. I love, love love, the Mummy and Spiderman attractions, and the Men In Black attraction, I think, is more fun than Buzz Lightyear (yes, I said it). I also REALLY like the front of the line access you get at ALL the rides just by being a Universal Resort guest. That is the best perk around!
    Hehe, most of you guys know my view on this matter, and that is I see them as being equal and they do the best at what they do, entertaining the masses. Disney has the cutesie family feel to it that most of you prefer over the pure fun adrenaline, almost party-like atmosphere at Universal for the thrill seekers. I quoted your post Leslie just to remind everyone else that it's ok to visit Universal and enjoy it. It's definately nice to see another park that is on par with Disney, but not ran by the mouse. I don't know about you, but I can only handle so much magic before I hurl, so Universal provides a nice break between visits to Disney.

Also, let me get one thing straight with ya'll: You guys can go comparing Universal to Disney all you'd like, that's apples and oranges, they're both tastey fruits that offer different flavors. Just please don't compare Universal to a Six Flags park, that's like comparing oranges to spam. Although Six Flags does seem to know how to take a hint and I think they are starting to do something to attract families, they are in no way as great as Universal is. Universal and Disney are theme parks, whereas Six Flags is an amusement park. Just my .02.

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

We have a Six Flags not to terribly far from us. It is nothing like Universal.

Universal actually has done somethings much better than Disney. I applaud their guest transportation when staying on sight. Switching parks a breeze. Hitting City Walk very easy. Universal has just hit the target a bit more this past decade than Disney. A difficult thing for any true Disney fan to admit. My son when being a CP, CM often went to Univeral, they gave them great discounts. He too rather enjoyed Universal and Disney is his Happy Place.

At Disney few upgrades indeed have gone south. Disney Cal shouldn't have had to be reworked being a new park. AK had a lot of bug a boo's to it upon opening and for several years to come and it is getting there. I remember it with MGM upon opening too, another 4 hour park. Ticked off guests.

I too was anti Universal until I actually stayed there for 4 nights. Granted I was staying at the Grand Floridian of Universal but hey they have a hotel that compares.

Have you guys been to more than one Six Flags, or a Six Flags period? How about any other park similar to Six Flags? I've actually been to many theme and amusement parks in my life. Universal Studios BOTH of them, are far more comparable to a Six Flags, than a Disney World. I have nothing against Universal, it's fun if you like it, sure. But the only things I've seen that are anything like Disney are the dark 'rides', which are strangely similar to the ones at Disney. As far as "themeing" VERY similar to Six Flags. Putting up rocks and lamp posts isn't a theme. Like I said, in all my experiences the only difference between Six Flags and Universal/IoA is themed shops, and the few "dark rides" and movies. I look at quality, not cheap, or a "party" atmoshpere, if I wanted to goto a party, and be around drunk, rude, obnoxious high school/college kids, I'd goto a party. Not somewhere I'm trying to have fun.

RuddyWDW is offline Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery

Just to bring this back to the top.

I have never been to any Six Flags parks so cannot really have a strong argument on this, however I have seen a lot of tv programmes about them so I have a good idea what a lot of them are like. They look a lot like some of the theme parks we have over here, a few big roller coasters and thrill rides which they heavily rely on to attract guests with no real themeing, lands, scenery etc.

I think they have recently shown they dont really know what they are doing with the ridiculous amount of debt they are currently in and no sign of anyone bailing them out anytime soon.

I'd argue whilst that the IOA has the big rollercoasters and thrill rides they also put a lot of time into theming the rides, the queues and a lot of theming into the lands and the scenery around the lands. I've not seen the new HP land but I can imagine it being brilliant.

Whilst on the subject of Six Flags, has anyone seen the park in Louisiana, seen some pictures of it online, some while it was underwater, which was crazy, couldnt believe how much water it was actually under. The other pictures were about a year or two ago, the place just looked completely abandoned, toys left on carnival stalls, tables and chairs sat outside restaurants it was really eeriee. Does anyone know the current plight of six flags, whats happening about all the debt they are in, any risk of all the parks being shut down and sold off?

Ruddy

edwardsfire is offline C-Ticket Holder

Different strokes for different folks.......
    We simply enjoy WDW or DLR far more than anyother vacation destination....with Vegas a close second.
    I DO like Universal, there is nothing wrong with it.
    I just enjoy Disney far far more.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12