Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Miscellaneous Discuss Why people choose Disney over Universal, in the News & Rumors forums; I was thinking about this pretty much ALL day, and I came up with this:::: Disney is not a theme park, its an EXPERIENCE, in my eyes. Universal is a ...
    Souldier is offline B-Ticket Holder

Why people choose Disney over Universal,

I was thinking about this pretty much ALL day,

and I came up with this::::

Disney is not a theme park, its an EXPERIENCE, in my eyes. Universal is a theme park. You are a GUEST in Disney, you are a CUSTOMER in Universal. Also, it doesn't hurt that kids and parents want to meet Mickey Mouse and ride on a flying elephant, and not meet Woody Woodpecker and almost get eaten by a shark. Also, you are treated like ROYALTY at Disney. I've had employees yell at me for not getting off of a ride in 2 seconds flat, because my shoe fell off. I know, that this MAY just be one employee and they don't all act like that, but you can really tell the difference between Cast Members and Universal employees (I can't remember their name). You are ****ed into this amazing illision that you are in a magical world, full of joy and happyness. You also may even start to belive it, too. When I step into Disney, I escape reality. Troubles of everyday life are swept away. Stress is suddenly nowhere to be found. You really don't get that at Universal. It just seems like another day at a theme park at Universal.

BTW: I am a HUGE Universal fan, no I'm not nessicarily bashing them. Just staytin my opinion.

What do you guys think?
    Halloween has come and gone..

I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

ADRIEN

Formerly known as Dznyfreak42

DisneyHomeVideo is offline B-Ticket Holder

Re: Why people choose Disney over Universal,

Yep, that pretty much sums it up. Except, I didn't need to lose a shoe :-)

Dan

Disneyhomevideo

princessariel is offline Fastpass Holder

I agree. I've never been to Universal and frankly I don't want to. I have gone to Six Flags back at home. It feels dirty, rushed and like they pay NO attention to detail.
    Summer '83-Off Site

Dec '95- Shades Of Green

March '03-All Star Movies

March '06-All Star Movies

October '07-POFQ

March '10-POFQ

March '13 POFQ

June '14 POFQ

Nov'14 All Star Sports-F&WF W&D 1/2 Marathon!

zippitydoodah is offline Annual Passholder

I personally loved Islands of Adventure when I went... the theming was great and I had a lot of fun (i cant say the same for the times I've been to Universal Studios). For instance, I think the popeyes water raft ride is the best of its kind and the suess land is great. I've been to florida at least once a year for the past 10 years and since going to IoA I always say I'll go back and make plans to... and then once I get to Florida I ALWAYS end up going to Disney instead. I think my heart would hurt to much if I didnt... and I financially can only choose one park per trip and well, there are 4 disney parks to choose from so I only get to each one once every 4 years as it is haha. But ya, its just not the same. Going to IoA was fun, going to Disney is like going home

I will say however that if people have never been to Islands of Adventure they should try it, just once. Its nothing like a 6 flags park, at least way better than them! They seriously do a great job with the theming (at least theyre TRYING to take some tips from Disney haha) and the spiderman ride is totally unique... nothing like it. I may not be rushing back like I do with Disney, it is for sure a park thats worth visiting at least once I think.

Quote Originally Posted by zippitydoodah View Post
    I will say however that if people have never been to Islands of Adventure they should try it, just once. Its nothing like a 6 flags park, at least way better than them! They seriously do a great job with the theming (at least theyre TRYING to take some tips from Disney haha) and the spiderman ride is totally unique... nothing like it. I may not be rushing back like I do with Disney, it is for sure a park thats worth visiting at least once I think.
    Oh, I know it's got to be way better than SixFlags. I just have not desire to go to Universal.
    Summer '83-Off Site

Dec '95- Shades Of Green

October '07-POFQ

March '10-POFQ

March '13 POFQ

June '14 POFQ

Well, then you can't really have an opinion... it's not fair to say you don't like something if you've never been.

Well, then you can't really have an opinion... it's not fair to say you don't like something if you've never been.
    Not saying I don't like it. I've never been so how do I know if I don't like it. I was agreeing with everything the OP said about WDW.
    Summer '83-Off Site

Dec '95- Shades Of Green

October '07-POFQ

March '10-POFQ

March '13 POFQ

June '14 POFQ

pranker51502 is offline Annual Passholder

Disney is simply the best at what they do. They set the bar high and it's funny to see how much Universal bites their style/ copys them just to keep up. It's like comparing PeeWee football, to a NFL game.

Annual Passholder: '06,'07,'08,'09,'10,'11

Souldier is offline B-Ticket Holder

Yeah, I hope this isnt detering people away from IoA.

It is a great park,

and Spiderman IS one of the BEST rides in Orlando. Its MIND BLOWING.
    Halloween has come and gone..

I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

ADRIEN

Formerly known as Dznyfreak42

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

Each year we have a choice, Universal and Sea World or WDW. Every year we choose Disney. We used to live in northwest Georgia and had six flags nearby. No comparisson to WDW. For our money, we'll take Disney every time.

Disney05 is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Went to Universal in 1991. That was the last time. It's not that I wouldn't want o go back but...it's Disney that I look forward to seeing. When I stay on property I feel totally immersed in the Disney experience, and I like that.
    When you wish upon a star.....
    LAUGHTER IS TIMELESS, IMAGINATION HAS NO AGE AND DREAMS ARE FOREVER.
    Adults are only kids grown up, anyway. WD
    ...That's the real trouble with the world. Too many people grow up. WD
    "For those who get it, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't, no explanation will do."

http://wdwhomesick.wordpress.com/

elvistelth is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Universal seems to attract more of the kind of people I don't want my children to be around. Loud, cursing, overly pierced and tattooed beligerent people. I have been to Universal several times as a chaperone and twice on vacation and the contrast is obvious to me.

Disnyfan83 is offline Fastpass Holder

I am a Disney park fan through and through - but I've got to admit that I really enjoy the two parks over at Universal. I love, love love, the Mummy and Spiderman attractions, and the Men In Black attraction, I think, is more fun than Buzz Lightyear (yes, I said it). I also REALLY like the front of the line access you get at ALL the rides just by being a Universal Resort guest. That is the best perk around!
    Leslie Henson
    leslieH@mei-travel.com
    affiliated w/ MEI & Mouse Fan Travel

Old Magic Kingdom Tour Guides never retire -- we still tell people where to go and what to do!

RuddyWDW is offline Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery

I think its a bit silly to compare to two to be honest as they are two completely different commodities and appeal to different target audiences.

When I was younger I'd have much rather spent most of my time in Disney than Universal, but now i'd say I spend around equal time in both parks when I visit Florida.

If I had young children I dont think i'd find myself spending a lot of time in Universal Studios as I dont think they cater for younger children very well. They have many Thrill rides which youngsters are simply not big enough to go on and even the ones they are physically able to go on are likely to scare them. This is why I go back to my first point that they are not really comparable as Universal mainly caters for young adults and up (which is probably the main reason why Disney is more popular). The one thing I do think they do much better than Disney is incorporating new technology into their rides and shows.

Disney is obviously family orientated and they go out of their way to make it this way, the themeing is so detailed its brilliant and as the first poster pointed out you feel like a guest not just another number. There is no upper or lower age limit as it were that prevents you having a good time in Disney, there is always something to do whatever your age, preference etc. This is where Disney really comes out on top and will do until Universal realises this.

I think the Harry Potter island could be a very good thing for Universal, depending on what they do with it.

Ruddy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast