Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Miscellaneous Discuss Who drives? in the News & Rumors forums; We drive from Chicago to WDW every year and sometimes twice. I have flown once and hated it. I suggested to my daughters maybe we'd fly again to save time ...
    Tim
    Tim is offline D-Ticket Holder

Who drives?

We drive from Chicago to WDW every year and sometimes twice. I have flown once and hated it. I suggested to my daughters maybe we'd fly again to save time and they vehemently opposed the idea. They'd rather make the 1200 mile journey in a mini van. It's become a major part of our trip. Anyone else prefer to drive? I could save two days and quite a bit of gas, but what fun would that be?
    Tim

beja is offline C-Ticket Holder

Re: Who drives?

I also prefer to drive. I've made the trips several times from Jersey. However, I've flown for my last several trips as the greed to spend as much time as possible at WDW overrides my extreme loathing of flying. If vacation time wasn't an issue for me, I'd definitely drive.
    Oct 99 OS|May 00 OS|Dec 00 OS|Aug 03 OS|May 05 AS|Oct 06 CB|Nov 07 POFQ|Nov 08 POFQ|Nov 09 CS

jiminycricket is offline A-Ticket holder

We drive from Jersey to Disney. I have two children, ages 4 & 2. My son's first trip was when he was 8 months old. My daughter's first trip was when she was 6 months and my son was 2 1/2. Aside from all the stuff we had to bring, it wasn't bad. I realize as they get older, there's less stuff we have to pack.
    I prefer to fly, just because you get there faster. I didn't start driving until I met my husband. Actually, I don't do the driving. He does.

Sharon&Randy is offline D-Ticket Holder

Hi!
    We drive from Cleveland. I like driving. We always drove to our vacations as a kid. Doesn't feel like a vacation unless you drive many, many miles.
    With a family of 6 we save money driving. We do rent a van to travel. I rent it a year ahead of time so it is cheaper. This year it is $539 with tax for 13 days unlimited mileage. That way if it breaks down we get a new one. Also we drive to Ft. Myers first to see my family so we would need to rent a van anyways if we had flown. At the World we have the convenience of having a vehicle.
    My husband and I tag team drive. We drive through the night so the kids are sleeping a lot of the drive. I know it sounds crazy but it is relaxing for me to drive. I can't speak for my husband though!
    Sharon&Randy

lilo88 is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass

We have made 7 trip to WDW driving, but I think those days are over. We flew to CA earlier this year and loved it so I think were spoiled now and will be flying to FL from VA from now on.
    Tiffany~o ~ D23 member

Sufferer of Disney Vacation Depression

97'~French Quarter, 99'~CBR, 01'~Movies, 03'~Music/PORriverside/DCL, 05'~POP, 06'~Movies, 08'~Movies, 09'~Disneyland/ Embassy Suites Irvine/ 10'~Music, 12'~LBV Best Western Disney View

WDW4Ever is offline Annual Passholder

I'm not a fan of driving extended distances anywhere. I couldn't even imagine doing a trip from Boise to Orlando, but I wouldn't even drive to Disneyland. I enjoy the flying part, because I know HOW to fly. My brother has worked for the airline for close to 10 years now and it's a whole different ball game when you know the in's and out's of air travel, and security, etc.
    "If you can dream it you can do it."
    -Tom Fitzgerald
    D23 Charter Member

Ayhab is offline D-Ticket Holder

I drive, but I also live only 3 hours away from Disney. You should maybe consider moving to South Florida?
    Ayhab the Arab
    It's amazing to think that this all started with one little mouse.

zippitydoodah is offline Annual Passholder

We drive from Toronto, ON... its the only way to do it with 3-5 vans with at least 5 people per van. The price savings since gas is split between 5-7 people rather than a plane ticket for each person is huge. Also we go in March and its nice to see it turn from snow to sun and palm trees. The drive back home is horrible though. I have flown sometimes too and its nice to get there in a couple hours rather than a couple days, but I'm just not a huge fan of flying personally.

WDW4Ever is offline Annual Passholder

I'm considering North Florida right now actually. Jacksonville area.
    "If you can dream it you can do it."
    -Tom Fitzgerald
    D23 Charter Member

Chrissy&Tayen is offline counting down to my vacation

so far we have always drove... from northeastern ky to orlando.. we have took 2 different ways taking 75 for lexington down or going around and thru like the carolinas and stuff.. i think 75 is the quickest way.. the first time was straight thru.. the 2nd time we stopped in chattanooga and spent a couple days.. and this year.. we thought of flying.. but.. it still would be cheaper for us to drive than to to fly..
    All Star Sports July 2006
    All Star Movies October 2007
    Coronado Spring February 2010
    Pop Century October 2010
    All Star Movies September 2011
    Pop Century September 2012
    Chrissy

beja is offline C-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy&Tayen View Post
    so far we have always drove... from northeastern ky to orlando.. we have took 2 different ways taking 75 for lexington down or going around and thru like the carolinas and stuff.. i think 75 is the quickest way.. the first time was straight thru.. the 2nd time we stopped in chattanooga and spent a couple days.. and this year.. we thought of flying.. but.. it still would be cheaper for us to drive than to to fly..
    Chrissy,

Thanks for that info. I am currently considering a move to Northern Kentucky to live closer to family. My friends have asked me "have you thought about how you'll get to WDW? Will it take longer, offer direct flights to Orlando, etc."
    Oct 99 OS|May 00 OS|Dec 00 OS|Aug 03 OS|May 05 AS|Oct 06 CB|Nov 07 POFQ|Nov 08 POFQ|Nov 09 CS

Chrissy&Tayen is offline counting down to my vacation

were in kentucky? i live next door to huntington wv.. so that is the first airport that everyone thinks of.. well.. yes they sound like cheap direct flights to orlando but!! their are hidden fees and it doesnt flight into the airport that disney uses.. so you will have to rent a car.. or get a cab or something.. but you can fly out of charleston.. no hidden fees and it flys into the right airport.. the cheapest i found flights out of there was 350 for the of us. from here.. 75 is the fastest way to get to orlando.. there are better highway speeds so you can travel faster. and we can leave in the evening and drive straight thru just fine.. cant remember what the hours are... but we use that first day for rest and then a evening walking around DTD
    All Star Sports July 2006
    All Star Movies October 2007
    Coronado Spring February 2010
    Pop Century October 2010
    All Star Movies September 2011
    Pop Century September 2012
    Chrissy

TTAfanatic is offline E-Ticket Holder

I definitely like driving. Its 892 miles from my house to Pop Century, about 14 hours, and I wouldn't have it any other way. I don't like waiting in line and packing in on overcrowded park buses, and I like to make runs to Target, or eat off property on occasion, so having my car is definitely a priority.

2001 - Caribbean Beach
    2008 - Pop Century
    2010 - Port Orleans Riverside

www.twitter.com/nickphillips97

I proudly support The FairTax!
    www.FairTax.org

disnycrayz is offline A-Ticket holder

Our family always drives from NJ to WDW. I think the two days of driving helps us to clear our heads of all the other stressful stuff and gives us a buffer of time between work and vacation. Especially on our last trip, I really needed to relax so I was able to forget about work and other nonsense on the way. I wouldn't have enjoyed my first view of the castle half as much if I still had the stress on my mind.

Plus, since we prefer to drive while in the parks, it's more convenient to have our own wheels. :-)

elvistelth is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

I'm also only 3 hours away in S. Florida so the only way I've ever arrived at WDW is by driving. I love driving because I hate using their busses and I love avoiding the giant lines back to the resorts at the closing time. I've read on other threads people actually prefer the busses because of the "magic" but I don't quite understand what that means.
    Sitting in a crowded bus with a bunch of strangers is about as far from magical as I can imagine.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast