Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Miscellaneous Discuss D23 Magic and Merriment Backlash in the News & Rumors forums; Is it just me or does it seem like there are A LOT of upset/angry people out there because of the ticket availability for D23 events? For some reason D23 ...
    chavez705 is offline A-Ticket holder

D23 Magic and Merriment Backlash

Is it just me or does it seem like there are A LOT of upset/angry people out there because of the ticket availability for D23 events? For some reason D23 Magic and Merriment as well as other recently announced events have seemingly unleashed a large (and in my opinion completely nonsensical) backlash. I am not speaking specifically about posts on this forum (which are relatively tame), but conspiracy theorists and pessimists alike seem to be crawling out of the wood work on this issue. I would like to say that I, for one, am excited for D23 and the opportunities it brings!!! If you break down the price for D23 Magic and Merriment the price is FANTASTIC:
    Disney's Yuletide Fantasy Tour $69/person*
    Disney's Holiday D-Lights Tour $179/person*
    Mickey's VM C-mas Party $55.38/person*
    Two day Park pass $166.14/person*
    Two Day Disney Quest Pass $87.34/person*
    PRIVATE Dinner on Lights, Motor, Action $Priceless$
    Private Tour of Cinderella Castle Suite $Priceless$
    (*prices are still accurate to the best of my knowledge from reliable websites)
    Lastly, to the Annual Pass Holders, I understand your point that you do not need the free park tix and it is perfectly valid. However, those of us out there who can not make it to WDW often enough to justify the purchase (and are just as big of fans) miss out on a LOT of really cool stuff that is only available to APH's. It seems that EVERYTHING has its ups and downs... "and sometimes ups outnumber the downs..." (sorry, had to throw the Robin Hood quote in there!)
    Charter D23 Member
    #1 Dec. 2006 - Grand Floridian
    #2 Dec. 2007 - Wilderness Lodge
    #3 Dec. 2008 - Villas at Wilderness Lodge
    #4 Dec. 2009 - Boardwalk Inn
    #5 ?? WDW ?? DL ??

Jaxum is offline D-Ticket Holder

Re: D23 Magic and Merriment Backlash

The reason for the backlash from folks is for the limited availability of the tickets. Speaking with several friends, we thought the cost would be a hold back for most people, and it seems to have worked with the DL event. (Still not sold out). However, with how the price was set for the WDW event, there was little chance of this not going fast. It turns out that there are a lot of other events going on the same weekend which would explain why so many people were trying to get tickets. Maybe they were already planning on going to NFFC or the Westfest Meetup. I just know that when I was looking at rooms before the tickets were sold and all the value resorts were booked.
    Remember, D23 was setup as a way for Disney to give fans a direct feed from the company on what is going on and coming around the corner. They also said that there would be events that would be happening throughout the year that the members could take part in. The first major event was a tour, which was free, of the Disney archives. The growing pain they learned from this was not to turn on the links a few minutes early! It was completely booked before the original start time! (I'm actually glad I missed out on this because I ended up having a kidney stone removed two days earlier. I was out for another week). I think this was a major wake up call for how popular these events could be, and D23 stepped up and said that they were going to do more tours for those that couldn't get in for the first two rounds.
    To have the chance for backstage tours of Broadway Musicals, to have Imagineers be able to explain to the fans how and why they do what they do, I see a premier of an upcoming movie and celebrate afterward, and to get a chance to all of us to dig deeper into the Magic(tm) at the D23 Expo then we could have on our own.
    While we are still going to experience growing pains with how D23 is able to run events, I believe that they are truly learning from the past, that they would like to do more to allow more people to join in for the fun.
    I don't know how many people are going to be at the Magic and Merriment event. I know that I will. Some think only 50 people are going, but my order number was well above that. Also, in another thread, it looks like there is a handful of us that were able to get tickets. It's late, and I think I'm rambling now, so it's time for me to finish this up. Good night.
    Last edited by Jaxum; 11-05-2009 at 12:12 PM. Reason: To tired to proof read!
    Jaxum- Disneyland Aficionado!
    Disneyland, WDW, and DLPR Annual Passholder
    D23 1st Day Charter Member
    My Disneyland and WDW videos and photos!
    http://youtube.com/tkfore21 .... http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaxum_readis/sets/

Disney days for 2009:
    Disneyland:(27) / Tokyo Parks:(4) / WDW:(19)
    Total Days in the parks for 2009: 50!
    Disney Days for 2010:
    Disneyland: (27) / WDW:(31) / DLRP: (6)
    Total Days in the parks for 2010: 63!
    Disney Days for 2011:
    Disneyland: (0) / WDW:(17)
    Total Days so far in the parks for 2010: 17!

D23 and Other events:
    Expo '09, Candlelight Spectacular '09, Magic and Merriment '09, D23 Anniversary DL/WDW, Studio Tour April '10, Disney Archives 40th Anniversary, Destination D: Disneyland 55, Disneyland Scavenger Hunt, Sip and Stroll '10, Tangled Screening, TRON Pop-up Shop, Magic & Merriment '10, Everest Challenge '09, Adventurer's Club Weekend '09, DL Candlelight '09, Gumball Rally '10, WDW Radio 24 Hour Live Show '10, Disneyland's 55th Anniversary, Pacific Northwest Mouse Meet '10, Mickey's Halloween 5k '10,WDW Radio Walkabout '10, ConGaloosh '10, DL Candlelight '10

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

Had not heard the squabbles and conspiracy theories... must be other forums.

cindymouse6 is offline C-Ticket Holder

All the tours and exclusive dinners/firework showings/reserved seatings sounded so great! Hey, if anyone doesn't need a tix, I'll buy it
    cindymouse6
    DVC members Old Key West, Beach Club, Bay Lake Towers
    30+ visits and still adding them on!
    New Years 2014, WDW marathon weekend 2014, Bay lake MK view 2014, Food and wine Festival 2014 Premium annual passholder!!!!

Again, I was not speaking specifically about this forum, but if you search many of the other forums OR even do a general internet search on d23 magic and merriment (as if to look for extra info that people may have found out) you will see exactly what I am talking about.
    Charter D23 Member
    #5 ?? WDW ?? DL ??

Citizen of WDW is offline A-Ticket holder

Honestly I think people are just looking for things to complain about. Just like how some people complained that The Parks presentation at D23 Expo could have been better because they only confirmed rumors people had already heard of and not announced something COMPLETELY new.
    If you enjoyed this cruise my name is Citizen of WDW and this has been the world famous Jungle Cruise, if you didn't my name is Citizen of WDW and this has been Space Mountain.

Be sure to Visit me on Facebook at facebook.com/meko187

THANK YOU!!! I am glad that other people feel the same way I do!
    Charter D23 Member
    #5 ?? WDW ?? DL ??

disneymystic is offline C-Ticket Holder

I agree there is an anger about the number of tickets but people had to realize it would be gone really fast. More importantly, they had to realize the tickets had to be in small number. Look at the factors, it is a single 2 day event. They have to be able to take enough small groups into the castle room so everyone has enough time to look and it's not overly crowded. There is limited priority seating at both events (Candle and parade). This was not going to be a large number of people.

I got lucky. I got my tickets to go. I was refreshing every 10 seconds about 5 minutes before go time. Lucky I had my D23 number copy and pasted, ready to go. Most of your information is already filled out cause of that. All it really took at that point was the credit card number. With all that, I count my disney blue fairy wishes that I got my 2 tickets.

I feel sorry for those who put all their eggs into one basket before actually getting the tickets. I read about people already booking airplane tickets and getting rooms. I think that was a little too hopeful thinking.

That being said..I got my tickets!