Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Miscellaneous Discuss My trip to Universal. (pt. 1) in the News & Rumors forums; Ok it`s a long one, but I am going to give you a hardcore disney fan`s(me) perspective on Universal studios from the start of my day trip to the end. ...
    Epcot_dude is offline A-Ticket holder

My trip to Universal. (pt. 1)

Ok it`s a long one, but I am going to give you a hardcore disney fan`s(me) perspective on Universal studios from the start of my day trip to the end. We happen to receive free tickets from friends of ours who did not want to go. So, yesterday on valentine`s day. Here we go.

We pull in to the property and right off the bat, it looks promising. The tall palm trees instantly gave a sense that you were in Hollywood. We then pull up the entrance gate to get into the parking garage(the gate looks like Magic Kingdom`s entrance gate.) The prices were reasonable and I noticed the CityWalk is open until 2 am. We then drive in the parking garage and looked like a standard parking garage. Universal has a good parking strategy where cars would go from the top down. Plus the sections were labeled E.T, Cat in the hat, Spiderman, JAWS, Jurassic Park, and King Kong. We were in Spiderman. Getting the CityWalk was not too bad, they had conveyer belts for people who did not wanna walk(like me) or you COULD walk on it and get there twice as fast. CityWalk is a beautiful place. Especially at night. Stores and reastraunts were everywhere ranging from Hard Rock, Margaritaville(where we ate), A Nascar reasteraunt, etc. We didn`t want to indulge in CityWalk yet, we headed straight to the park. Now this is where it starts to get ugly. The immediate view you see when you walk into Universal is a view similar to Hollywood studios seeing New york and such. To our surprise, we had "hoppers" for both parks. The first attraction we did was Shrek 4D. Fun ride, good show, but the queue was flat out BORING. In fact, there were posters there giving the Shrek spoof on Disney things like the Tiki room and fantasy land! Plus the wait time was misleading saying it was 15 min. when it was a good 30. So when we leave the attraction, we see Shrek, Fiona, and donkey at sort of a character spot for pictures. Me and my cousin went up there for pics and the actor playing donkey was funny and in character, but the actual donkey puppet looked shabby. Even shrek looked like a costume you would find at wal mart. Continuing our journey, the next thing we did was the "Horror make up show". Basically telling you how the movie monsters our made. It was a very interesting show. Plus the the pre-show area was like a museum of movie monsters. Wolfman, Frankenstein, JAWS, Jurassic Park, The Thing and more. What I did have a problem with was the hosts. They were incredibly crude! I would never take my child on this. They even made fun of disney for one part.(Showing that they are desperate enough to make fun of the company that is clearly better than them.) After that, we ate at an italian place. Good not great. Then we rode on my favorite ride there, JAWS. The queue was great and the TVs were airing clips from the movie and Amity`s "local channel". Like I said, great queue and the ride was awesome for a fan of the movies like me. The shark, sure it looked fake, but that`s the charm of the ride. The skipper was definitely not a Jungle Cruise skipper, but was good in his own way. I also happen to find an original movie poster and bought it. So now we head over to Men in Black. The pretty much like Buzz lightyear.(except buzz is better.) The ride itself was fun and action packed, BUT THE QUEUE WAS SO LONG AND BORING! There was no color! I`m not talking about the inside queue but the OUTSIDE QUEUE WAS AWFUL! There were some posters to look at and that was it! Plus the wait time said 20 min. We were in that queue for at least an hour. The inside queue wasn`t nearly as bad as the outside, but once you`ve seen everything there is to see, it`s awful. Like I said, the ride was great and there were some good AAs, but this ride probably has the worst queue I have ever seen. Moving on, we did the famous Mummy ride. The queue was brilliant. It was set in Egyptian temple or pyramid. It was dark, spooky, and totally put you in the mood. The ride itself was great, but a little too short. It greatly resembles Rock`n roller coaster.(the actual coaster not the queue.) So, the last ride we did was Twister. This attraction was more like a simulator than it is a show or a ride. It was loud, dark, and chaotic. Overall, good attraction. Wrapping up, we wanted to leave the park. Nothing else appealed to us.(OH WAIT we did do the Terminator which was a 3D show. It was action-packed.) Not even the new Rip ride rockit coaster did not appeal. The wait times were outrageous. We left the park but as we did we hit up some shops. Not much to say. The variety was awful, but there were some good things. One amazing thing I saw was a movie poster for The Invisible Man. Read the book and loved it. So I got that thing in a heartbeat. On our way out there was an employee asking the guest- I mean customer`s experience in the park. Me, my cousin, and my Mom wanted to say "Get some originality and stop being Disney wannabes." Seriously, you would not believe all the references there were to Disney World in that park. Plus, since there were employees asking how customer enjoyed the park should tell you something. So it`s nearing night time and we ate dinner at Margaritaville. Fantastic atmosphere and food. There a volcano there(paying homage to the Jimmy Buffet song "volcano".) It would erupt occasionally. Similar to the Rainforest cafe. CityWalk REALLY comes to life at night. It`s neon lights are beautiful. The shops at CityWalk are good as well. Offering a whole lot more variety than in the parks. And so we leave the park and head home. We missed the Mardi Gras thing but we could care less. Now from you may guess, I had a good time, and I did of course(JAWS and mummy being my faves.) But there were some things that bugged me. I`ll tell you all about them in part 2.
    E.P.C.O.T

Why on earth can`t Disney sell these in stores!?!?!?!

I`m a Star Wars nerd. And a drummer.

Yensid_Retlaw is offline D-Ticket Holder

Re: My trip to Universal. (pt. 1)

I'm glad to have read your report and look forward to part 2. I am a Disney fan through and through however my wife who has been six time to Florida and all six of those times are on Disney property has always wondered why I dislike Universal. You pretty much had the same problems I had except I had some problems with Employees. However I didn't find Men In Black all that great a ride. Last time I was there. They had run out of soda throughout the park and they were unable to open all the rides. And when I asked why they told me "Low attendance today". Did you do I.O.A as well? If so I would love a report on it as the last time I went I had an alright time but the park was 2 hours and I was done. I think the only thing that really wowed me was the Journey into Atlantis thing I remember thinking that Water Vortex was fantastic. Anyway I have two tickets I didn't end up using way back in 2004 so I am wondering if I should go again just to give my wife the taste of why I love Disney so much.

There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow! Just a dream away!

"A Tip of the hat from Dr. Facilier"

"Cause I've got friends on the other side!"

A proud D23 Charter Year member.

And a dedicated Lead Manager at the Disney Store in Georgian Mall, Barrie, Ontario! 3 years! I almost get a Pluto pin!

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

I look forward to part two also.

I agree that some of theming was less than Disney but I do like the parks. I think the queues at AK are far worse. The dinosaur, rapids, bugs life (minus the tree), shows, and by far the safari. Yet the best is Everest. Actually Disney has more than its fair share of bad queues. Look at the cattle type queues of Fantasyland and Tomorrowland. Universal offers something different. I find that there is also more elaborate rides for young children too. Their Carousel for young children is great.

I believe many visitors believe it is a contest. I just accept each as different but very good. If they smacked Universal Parks up here, by me, I'd be there all the time. We just have Six Flags. Common complaint, it isn't Disney and when Universal borrows ideas from Disney, they are ripping Disney off.

albino_pygmy is offline The voice of the Jungle

Time for Pygmy's $.02, this is the point in the thread where Pygmy analyzes a post and says everything on his mind in relation to the above post. I'm too lazy to include quotes for this installment of Pygmy's $.02.

I'm glad you've had a good first impression upon entering Universal property. It seems as if you're off to a good start, up until you've entered the parks themselves and start comparing them to Disney about every little thing. Like I've said before so many times as a suggestion while visiting Universal or elsewhere, is to NOT compare with Disney, take it in as it's own and enjoy it, you'll have a much better overall experience as is, instead of you looking at all the minor imperfections.

The 'boring queues' have monitors playing video and fake movie posters which are pretty amusing, so it's not ET's indoor queue, but at least it's better than a whole lotta nothing like the MIB overflow queue outside. As mentioned above, Fantasyland has even worse queues, they don't have any monitors playing video for you to keep you occupied. You'll have to keep in mind that's how queues were when Fantasyland was built, same thing with Universal. The first two soundstage attractions at the front were just a queue, and I guess if you really want to be picky, I'd say they were themed just fine as a 'soundstage queue' rather than a 'ride queue.' Universal has had some amazing queues built since they were once open, Kongfrontation and ET for example.

Misleading queue lengths is common amongst both theme parks, and it's more noticable with attractions that are shows where you have to wait in 5 minute increments or so.

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy the hosts from Horror Makeup Show. Their humor is all part of the charm of this really underrated show. You probably would have had more fun with the show if you just let lose and forget about Disney, the "Disney bashing" you might see here and there throughout the park is all in good humor. Universal also makes fun of Sea World and also themselves, so don't think they're against Disney.

Nothing else seemed appealing to you? You didn't feel like checking out Universal's classic dark ride ET? Or riding along with the Simpsons? Or even going through Disaster (formerly Earthquake, same ride just new preshows)? Blues Brothers and Beetlejuice are also good shows if you like those characters and music.

I'm guessing I'm missing something when you said it should tell you something if they had team members ask it's guests a survey? To me, it says they do care about your experience and are listening. Disney does this as well, but it's not as often or as noticable, plus I don't think Disney really cares that much, but that's just my opinion. Universal has not been ripping off Disney, nor has Disney been ripping off Universal.

I'm glad you've enjoyed yourself overall, but I do believe you would have had an even better time if you didn't nit pick at everything. I guess I'll see more of that in part 2, lol.

pranker51502 is offline Annual Passholder

I love how the comparison of the queues in Fantasyland (70's) to Universal's (90's). That's a tad bit of a time difference there.

Annual Passholder: '06,'07,'08,'09,'10,'11

tdf192 is offline C-Ticket Holder

For once I agree almost totally with pygmy. Universal and Disney are 2 different types of parks and really cannot be compared fairly, you've just got to look at both of their night time halloween events to see that.
    Like anywhere when the queue times are long or messed up it can be very boring and frustrating, especially in the queues for 3D shows, its just luck of the draw.
    I havent been to Universal for a few years now but even then we found it to be a day's length trip. Yes some of the rides are a bit old, Jaws was looking particularly rough round the edges, but fun and like pygmy am surprised none of the rides like ET and the simpsons took your fancy. I guess the new music ride would have had a large queue being new...
    Personally I love the Monster Make-up show and think it to be rather refreshing; isnt there just one joke about Disney? quite like the joke made in Whispering Canyon in WL after the hobby horse derby which kinda goes with the kids pledging allegiance to Disney and swearing not to step foot into Universal...
    Some things each company does well, some things not so well but they're both striving for the same thing : customer/guest satisfaction and to entertain those who come through the gates
    Really there are 2 camps, with some overlap. and you have fallen into the distinct disney camp.
    Me? Just into the overlap from the Disney side lol.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention Rip Ride Rockit. . . you're really not missing much. They're still working out some kinks with the ride such as the moving platform at the load/unload station. It was originally supposed to be continuous load like the TTA. As soon as they get that fixed, the wait times will decrease and they'll open up the Express line for it. When you do finally get a ride on it, you'll get a nice selection of songs to choose from. Don't like the selection they have? Google the codes for hundreds of secret tracks that you can play during your ride, but you can't use them for your on-ride video.

Quote Originally Posted by pranker51502 View Post
    I love how the comparison of the queues in Fantasyland (70's) to Universal's (90's). That's a tad bit of a time difference there.

Well yes. But in 40 years they have upgraded how? If they can put a monitor up in Muppets and Laugh they cannot in Indy Cars or Pooh?
    Pooh is a good example. My goodness how many times has Small World gone down for a major rehab? They re-did the whole attraction and the queue? Disney has put together a several very good Queues but on a whole, the majority are one zig-zag cattle round-up. Animal Kingdom is the newest park yet many of the same old type of queues. Ever been stuck in one of AK queues for one of their shows? A string and a pole. AK was almost the new millenium. So I don't think it was a lack of imagination back in the 70's 'cause they are still doing it. I find Norway queue one of the worst other than it has A/C. The Safari had the potential to have a great queue, but no.

Just saying I don't think Disney has anything to brag about with their Queues on a whole over the Universal Parks.

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

Good write-up, looking forward to Part 2.

pranker51502 is offline Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    Well yes. But in 40 years they have upgraded how? If they can put a monitor up in Muppets and Laugh they cannot in Indy Cars or Pooh?
    Pooh is a good example.
    I'd rather have MGM and AK filled with rides than a 2min show in a continuous loop.

Annual Passholder: '06,'07,'08,'09,'10,'11

I'd rather have MGM and AK filled with rides than a 2min show in a continuous loop.
    Try 30+ minute loops

Mickey's#1Fan is offline Ready to go back to the World!
    Massachusetts... not close enough to the world :(

nice review last time i went there were alot of similar problems and of course i personally was not a fan of the disney bashing lol!! i also found universal not as wheelchair friendly as disney one of the cues at universal was even so dark that we pretty much ran my poor grandfather in his wheelchair and some guests into a wall whoops!! but then again i havent been since early 2000s so maybe it has changed..... i was a huge fan of margaritaville as well !
    Jennah
    Remember the MAGIC
    "a dream can be a dream come true with just that spark in me and you!"
    "in the big blue world...."
    "because i'm a lady... thats why"
    "it's a great BIG beautiful tomorrow!""Beware of hitch hiking ghosts!!"
    "it's hard to be cool when your dad is goofy!"

"please do not put on your safety goggles until you are safely seated safely inside the theater safely"- dr. nigel channing imagination institute

check...check...check...check...applause- four for a dollar

WDW
    Trips: '90 '91 '92 '93 '94 '95 '96 '97 '98 '99 '00 '01 '02 '03 '04
    '05 '06 '07 '08 '09 '10 '12

thegoz85 is offline D-Ticket Holder

We always set aside a day for Universal when we're in Florida, and I have to say that I really enjoy those parks. I'm a die-hard Disney fan, but I still have fun at Universal. We were there last Wednesday, and we had a blast. (Rip Ride Rockit wasn't running that day - still haven't gotten on that one yet.) CityWalk is a great place for shopping, eating, and night life - as good as or better than Downtown Disney.

I know that the theming is usually not as good as Disney, but I don't think Universal is interested in going all-out on theming. I'd say they're more for adrenaline where Disney is interested in story. (Yes, some Universal attractions have storylines, but they sometimes feel like an afterthought.)

When I'm there, I try not to compare it to Disney. It's a different experience for me, and one I enjoy. I take Universal for what it is, and I agree with others when they say you'll have more fun that way. And you can bet that I'm excited to see what the Wizarding World of Harry Potter will be like. I saw some of the buildings and construction going on when we visited, and it looks great!
    "Every sunset leads to morning, with the promise of opportunity."
    ~Promise

Love Disney? Interested in technology? Read DisTECH! Click the logo to check it out:

Also find me on Facebook and Twitter!

thegoz85 is offline D-Ticket Holder

Oh, and I enjoyed your review! Forgot to put that in my long response!
    "Every sunset leads to morning, with the promise of opportunity."
    ~Promise

Love Disney? Interested in technology? Read DisTECH! Click the logo to check it out:

Also find me on Facebook and Twitter!

I believe you might have gone off point. Refresher: If you look back you and I were discussing queues and their lack of quality at the opposing parks. The 70's vs. the 90's card you tossed to me, remember?

If you wish to change the topic, by all means go for it, but then you shouldn't snag a irrelevant quote on a previous topic as your springboard into a totally different debate, 'cause it is out of context.

Betting if the new topic you are tossing out there is would you like two parks full of rides or a 2 minute loop, nobody would be debating the topic. Just saying.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast