Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Miscellaneous Discuss Has Disney World become TOO big? in the News & Rumors forums; Whenever there is talk of a 5th gate, i cringe. There is barely enough time to visit all 4 parks, not to mention a water park, on a week long ...
    WDWGOOF is offline A-Ticket holder

Has Disney World become TOO big?

Whenever there is talk of a 5th gate, i cringe. There is barely enough time to visit all 4 parks, not to mention a water park, on a week long vacation. I remember when there was a time when there were only two parks, and our family could fit in (gasp!) non park days. These wonderful days consisted of sleeping in, enjoying a sit down breakfast in the hotel, and hanging out by the pool all day. Now with 4 parks, two water parks, downtown disney, and mini golf, etc., it is almost impossible to relax on the vacation (without making significant sacrifices). Now, I love disney world, and animal kingdom is becoming one of my favorite parks the last few trips, so I cannot say I wish it was never built. But with "questionable" additions such as the wdw speedway and the wide world of sports complex, I wanted to pose the question, is disney world getting too big to enjoy/relax/take it all in? i say questionable because these additions do not seem to fit in with the rest of the world. i worry about the day when i have to give up going to an entire park due to running out of days on a week long vacation. Thoughts?

JNota0005DakMC is offline Annual Passholder

Re: Has Disney World become TOO big?

you have to accept the fact that you wont see it "all" in one trip... its that simple... i wouldnt say WDW has gotten too big rather it has made itself a place to return to... because on the plane home you always find yourself saying... "oh i wanted to get down to the boardwalk and hit beaches and cream..." then you put that near the top of your must do list and you return a year later... Disney has gotten what it wants... it is now big enough that you must make multiple trips there to experience it all...
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them"
    -Walt Disney

"Laughter is America's most important export"
    -Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!
    http://tomorrowlandgazette.blogspot.com/

kandjad is offline C-Ticket Holder

We have never done it all in one trip.....that's not true...our first trip we did it all and had to take a vacation after our vacation to recover!! We have always picked just two parks per visit. In the summer we add one day at a water park. The resorts are vacation enough - the parks are the perks for our family!!

I get concerned with crowd control every time I see another hotel/resort go up!!
    It's FALL?!? Already?!?!
    Kate

20K is offline Brought to you by Dock Thrust

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

That is all.

The fact that there is more to do than can be crammed in encourages repeat visits. It is genius.

FritzTiki is offline A-Ticket holder

Maybe it's just the way that I like to experience DisneyWorld but I don't think it's too big at all. When I go on vacation I love to do things that I can't do at home. I go to WDW to ride the rides and eat some great food and enjoy time with my family. We never have a problem hitting all the parks in one weeklong visit. I can see where this may not be possible for most families with children ( I don't have any yet ) and it all depends on how you like to vacation I think. I also don't feel the compulsion to ride every ride every time I am there, I have been enough to know which ones I do/don't enjoy so that also eliminate some of the problems you may be having.
    Last edited by FritzTiki; 11-16-2010 at 02:21 PM.

Mike Fink is offline C-Ticket Holder

As a guest I don't care how big Disney World gets because I control what I do with my time on property. I always work in down time during my visits.

As a Disney fan, however, I am concerned about the Disney overextending itself. The overhead needed to maintain several resorts and thousands of hotel rooms strains the company financially during slow economic times like we're in now. The result is discounted rooms rates and free dining -- good for the guests I suppose, but these programs significantly cut revenue and profit margins.

Disney's response to this is to make cutbacks elsewhere, namely in the parks. Reductions in maintenance, cast member cutbacks, reduced bus service, reduced menu choices in restaurants . . . all add up to diminish the Guest experience. Add get cynical money grabs like the Golden Oak project and Duffy the Bear, and the Guest experience declines further.

MartianCrab is offline Fastpass Holder

I think they've spread themselves too thin as it is. They have sacrificed many of the interesting little details which used to abound in the Magic Kingdom. I believe it's done to save on maintenance. I believe another park would just lead to even more cuts than they've done already. What cuts?
    "Minusing"
    “The trouble with quotes on the Internet is one never knows if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by kandjad View Post
    We have never done it all in one trip.....that's not true...our first trip we did it all and had to take a vacation after our vacation to recover!! We have always picked just two parks per visit. In the summer we add one day at a water park. The resorts are vacation enough - the parks are the perks for our family!!

I get concerned with crowd control every time I see another hotel/resort go up!!
    yeh i know what thats like... but im sure you still feel as though you might have missed something you wanted to do... not something that would make or break your vacation...

out of curiosity... when was the first time you went...?
    -Walt Disney

-Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!

WDW4Ever is offline Annual Passholder

I absolutely believe Disney World is too big. That's part of the reason why I like Disneyland better.
    "If you can dream it you can do it."
    -Tom Fitzgerald
    D23 Charter Member

see now but WDW has something Disney land doesnt... space and quiet... ive never been to Disneyland so i cannot fully speak of it but seeing photos of the DL boundary having a Days Inn next to it wasnt exactly Walts vision... WDW is huge but it also has that feeling of euphoria... that when you are there you have somehow escaped reality... is that feeling in DL too...? i am seriously asking because i have never been there...
    -Walt Disney

-Walt Disney

I get taken away, but that's just me. I'm not saying this based on proximity either. I really do like Disneyland better. It's not as bad as the pictures make it seem. Most of the time, pictures are taken from above eye level so you see over the buildings. From the ground, all you see are the Disneyland building. And Disneyland takes up one full square block in Anaheim so the closest hotels are across a 6 lane street.
    -Tom Fitzgerald
    D23 Charter Member

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

I like WDW being big. We visited DLR and DCA last summer instead of WDW and I found myself missing being lost in the World. Don't get me wrong, I liked DLR and DCA with World of Color, but WDW just feels like home to me. We can spend 10 days at WDW and never get tired of visiting the different parks and resort areas.

dman1373 is offline B-Ticket Holder

when you have someone complaining about your park being too big, then you know their doing something right.

Personally for me, I love the fact that its so big, and yes i am one that has to see it all. If I miss anything then I did not do my job right. Because I don't like vacations where you just rest and take it easy. Like my grandfather told me long ago, you can always sleep when you are home. So, if you are one that doesn't want to be on the run, just don't do as much. You can always plan another trip, because the good thing about Disney World is Its not going anywhere, anytime soon.
    Last edited by dman1373; 11-17-2010 at 09:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WDW4Ever View Post
    I get taken away, but that's just me. I'm not saying this based on proximity either. I really do like Disneyland better. It's not as bad as the pictures make it seem. Most of the time, pictures are taken from above eye level so you see over the buildings. From the ground, all you see are the Disneyland building. And Disneyland takes up one full square block in Anaheim so the closest hotels are across a 6 lane street.
    oh ok i see now... makes more sense now then... i do like that WDW is huge though... it makes you forget everything as you become immersed in it all... and when you get home... you have an excuse to go back... if you feel you need one...
    -Walt Disney

-Walt Disney

I read this article from the LA Times, and it made me laugh because, in essence, it's exactly how I feel about the comparison between WDW and DL.

Disney World: Mad dashes, exhausting schedules and enervating weather
    -Tom Fitzgerald
    D23 Charter Member

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast