Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Miscellaneous Discuss New fantasyland,can it compete? in the News & Rumors forums; . Love the changes that Disney made for fantasyland. Still I do not know if this addition can compete with Harry potter. I don't care for HP still if this ...
    garryz is offline B-Ticket Holder

Cool New fantasyland,can it compete?

. Love the changes that Disney made for fantasyland. Still I do not know if this addition can compete with Harry potter. I don't care for HP still if this is Disney's answer to universal, I think they came up short.
    dvcnut. As Walt said "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them".DISNEY.....LIVE THE DREAM!!!!!

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Re: New fantasyland,can it compete?

We have been having this discussion a very similar thread, please see the last few days of posts.

new changes to the Fantasyland Expansion

Come on over!!!
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

dzneynut is offline Trivia Nut & Supplier of Games

I think you're giving Universal too much credit!
    When have you ever heard anybody say, "We're going to Universal!"?
    I would hope, especially as a shareholder, that Disney would not go to the expense and disruption of remodeling an entire land based on just one attraction down the road!
    I would imagine that the initial idea for this major expansion started long before Harry Potter was announced or started.
    JamesD
    dzneynut@wdwradio.com

My DVD Profiler Collection

Future Disney Trips:
    Oct. 26-Nov. 2, 2013 staying at Beach Club Villas for my birthday and Food & Wine Festival!
    Nov. 2-9, 2013 for WDWRadio Cruise aboard the Disney Fantasy!

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Disney gets the travelers, Universal gets the local teens. City Walk kicks butt on Disney's Downtown area. They're hoping to revamp it, but even that is going to come up way short. Universal isn't for families, and it's not the initial destination. Disney brings them to central Florida, and Universal is happy to give them a day to play while the families are already there. They don't need to be the destination, just a draw.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

WDW4Ever is offline Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    Disney gets the travelers, Universal gets the local teens. City Walk kicks butt on Disney's Downtown area. They're hoping to revamp it, but even that is going to come up way short. Universal isn't for families, and it's not the initial destination. Disney brings them to central Florida, and Universal is happy to give them a day to play while the families are already there. They don't need to be the destination, just a draw.
    Best summation ever
    "If you can dream it you can do it."
    -Tom Fitzgerald
    D23 Charter Member

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

Agree with Supernova and since I'm a family man, we're headed to Disney. Looking forward to the completion of the upgrades at home and out at DCA.

toweristops is offline A-Ticket holder

Supernova definitely has captured it. I think Universal would like to draw more folks to their on-property resorts but 2 or 3 days at Universal is typically more than enough. Any time we have gone to Universal, the rides are great but you just don't get the same attention to detail and experience that you get at Disney.

Now Disney is not perfect at this all the time (see Hollywood Studios shotgun approach the last decade) but Fantasyland is definitely an attempt to improve on the original and move it into the future as well. I guess we will all have to wait and see the end result but I am glad they rethought the original plans. It may not be Harry Potter but Disney has many parks and areas to play with to improve the overall experience and we still may not have seen their answer to HP yet.

20K is offline Brought to you by Dock Thrust

Quote Originally Posted by toweristops View Post
    Any time we have gone to Universal, the rides are great but you just don't get the same attention to detail and experience that you get at Disney.
    I dunno. On the other hand, I like the ability to walk more than ten feet without tripping over a food or pin-trading cart.

"I really hope that people won't cherry-pick my quotes in the future
    and use them out of context to justify things that I would never sign-off on."

- Walt Disney

N.J.boy@N.C.St. is offline Fastpass Holder

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    I completely agree with every word in this statement...I don't think I could put it better. And, yes, Fantasyland can compete. I mean, come on, it's Disney World! Yes HP Land was a huge draw, that's because Harry Potter is so popular. People will go there JUST to see it. Universal gets the central florida local teens...and at 19, and a guy, I still prefer Disney World. The only thing better over there is CityWalk. Don't get me wrong, I love Downtown Disney and have to go there at least 2 or 3 times...but CityWalk is just cool and something different.

You'll see...when Fantasyland is finished...EVERYONE and [insert random person/family member here] will be running for Fantasyland in the morning and it will be PACKED.
    Follow me on twitter! http://twitter.com/NJboyatNCstate

June 1997, July 2002, August 2005, August 2006, February 2008, July 2008, August 2008, June 2009, July 2010, November 2010, July 2011

2011 Trip Report:
    Part 1: http://www.wdwradio.com/forums/trip-...nto-parks.html
    Part 2: http://www.wdwradio.com/forums/trip-...7-23-11-a.html
    Part 3: http://www.wdwradio.com/forums/trip-...24-7-26-a.html
    Part 4: http://www.wdwradio.com/forums/trip-...e-already.html

zippitydoodah is offline Annual Passholder

I love Disney World and most of my trips have been to Disney... but when the wizarding world opened we made a trip to Florida JUST FOR Universal, where that was the main part of the trip. My family (parents, siblings, cousins) go to Florida every year and they pretty much never do ANY parks cause they just aren't that huge into it, but they're all doing Universal this year (ages ranging from 4 year old boys to 22 year old girl to adults). The only ones doing Disney on their trip are my cousins who have a 1 and a 3 year old girl who are huge into Princesses (and the parents would rather go to Universal).

I just think that for a lot of people outside the Disney community (of which none of us are) Harry Potter is a HUGE draw, and really Islands of Adventure is a pretty awesome park even without out. Seriously though, the amount of detail in that tiny section of park is UNREAL and I've never seen anything at Disney that even compares to the Hogwarts cue and ride... not even close. I'll still choose Disney for most of my trips, but I'm sitting in a room right now with mickey paintings everywhere, so I'm a bit biased... lol

I'm not sure if the new Fantasyland has much draw to bring people who wouldn't already be going to Disney World? Especially if the new snow white coaster is a piddly kiddie coaster... Either way I'm sure it will be packed for awhile when it opens, because anything new always is... but are THAT many people who wouldn't go otherwise be like "oh well Disney has TWO dumbos now?!, lets go!!"

Agreed, still this is a money maker for universal, how could have Disney let this acquisition get away? I still think Disney is second guessing themselves. If universal could appease rowling Disney could not? Or was it the control freak Rowling?
    dvcnut. As Walt said "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them".DISNEY.....LIVE THE DREAM!!!!!

I'm glad universal got it, I don't think Disney would have done the job as well and with as much detail. Plus I'm not sure it would really belong at Disney World...

I am not to sure on that. I think HP would have fit better then marvel.

Sure, but at the moment there aren't any marvel rides/attractions in the Disney parks, and it's not like it would have been HP OR marvel... marvel would likely have happened anyway. And really, the power rangers were at the studios, I don't see how they're that much different than super heroes. I just don't see where HP would fit, because at the Studios it's supposed to be like a working movie lot, right? In the wizarding world of HP it's supposed to be like you're IN hogwarts/hogsmeade, etc- not the movie, but the actual fictional land that was created by JK Rowling. The only other place it could fit is the MK and I just don't think it really fits there either.

Well I guess it really does not matter anyway now. Still the fantasyland expansion is exciting, and I am looking forward to it. Also one thing that DW has that universal does not is real estate, Disney could build a 5 and 6 gate at any time. So in the long run Disney comes out ahead

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast