Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Miscellaneous Discuss Roy O. Disney info? in the News & Rumors forums; I decided to join speech team this year at my high school. When I signed up for an informative speech, and when I was asked what my interests were, the ...
    dreamitºoºdoit is offline A-Ticket holder

Roy O. Disney info?

I decided to join speech team this year at my high school. When I signed up for an informative speech, and when I was asked what my interests were, the only thing I could think of was Disney (:
    I signed up to do an informative speech on Walt Disney, but after listening to one of the Podcasts which mentioned the statue of Roy and how he gets little recognition, I switched my speech to doing it to ROY O. Disney. However, when I got on the internet, the only info I could find was about his birth/ death date. And he was always listed as "Walts older brother". I did find 1 biography about him called "Roy O. Disney, building an enterprise" by Bob Thomas (which has been a very helpful source), but we are supposed to have more than 1 source. Any info on where I could find books, videos, or articles on this humbled man?
    thanks!!

Qmaz246 is offline B-Ticket Holder

Re: Roy O. Disney info?

Sorry, but I don't have anything useful. Good luck though!!

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

I think you'll be better off pulling information from books on Walt. I don't know if anyone has written anything worthwhile about the brother.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

N.J.boy@N.C.St. is offline Fastpass Holder

Best way I think to do this...even though teachers don't want students to use Wikipedia, but on Roy Disney's Wikipedia page, go to the links at the bottom and see what you can get out of that. Some of those sites would be reliable sources.

I, also agree, that doing a speech on Walt would be much better (and easier)...but good luck with it!
    Follow me on twitter! http://twitter.com/NJboyatNCstate

June 1997, July 2002, August 2005, August 2006, February 2008, July 2008, August 2008, June 2009, July 2010, November 2010, July 2011

2011 Trip Report:
    Part 1: http://www.wdwradio.com/forums/trip-...nto-parks.html
    Part 2: http://www.wdwradio.com/forums/trip-...7-23-11-a.html
    Part 3: http://www.wdwradio.com/forums/trip-...24-7-26-a.html
    Part 4: http://www.wdwradio.com/forums/trip-...e-already.html

WDW4Ever is offline Annual Passholder

Two books immediately come to mind. "Walt Disney: The Triumph Of The American Imagination" by Neal Gabler and "Walt Disney An American Original" by Bob Thomas. While not specifically about Roy, they go pretty in-depth on the relationship between Walt & Roy.
    "If you can dream it you can do it."
    -Tom Fitzgerald
    D23 Charter Member

JNota0005DakMC is offline Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by dreamitºoºdoit View Post
    I decided to join speech team this year at my high school. When I signed up for an informative speech, and when I was asked what my interests were, the only thing I could think of was Disney (:
    I signed up to do an informative speech on Walt Disney, but after listening to one of the Podcasts which mentioned the statue of Roy and how he gets little recognition, I switched my speech to doing it to ROY O. Disney. However, when I got on the internet, the only info I could find was about his birth/ death date. And he was always listed as "Walts older brother". I did find 1 biography about him called "Roy O. Disney, building an enterprise" by Bob Thomas (which has been a very helpful source), but we are supposed to have more than 1 source. Any info on where I could find books, videos, or articles on this humbled man?
    thanks!!
    as an English teacher my best advice would be to go to the back of the book and look to see what sources the author used to write the book you have... that might get you some other sources you can use... if not... i read the Neal Gabler book on Walt as well and it does have alot of info about Roy in it... good luck...
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them"
    -Walt Disney

"Laughter is America's most important export"
    -Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!
    http://tomorrowlandgazette.blogspot.com/

WDW4Ever is offline Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by JNota0005DakMC View Post
    ...that might get you some other sources you can use... if not... i read the Neal Gabler book on Walt as well and it does have alot of info about Roy in it... good luck...
    I just checked my Neal Gabler book that I have sitting here; excluding references it is 633 pages long. I think should have a little bit of Roy in there.
    "If you can dream it you can do it."
    -Tom Fitzgerald
    D23 Charter Member

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

WDW4Ever has given you a great resource. The biography on Walt has a lot of info on his brother. Also Project Future explores a lot of Roy's impact on building WDW after Walt's death.

20K is offline Brought to you by Dock Thrust

Do the great man proud, at any rate.

"I really hope that people won't cherry-pick my quotes in the future
    and use them out of context to justify things that I would never sign-off on."

- Walt Disney

Mike Fink is offline C-Ticket Holder

The Bob Thomas book is the only Roy bio I know of.

There's a great Walt bio called "The Magic Kingdom" by Steven Watts. The first section of chapter 22 offers a nice 11-page summary of Roy's life and his relationship with Walt. You'll enjoy this book, it's the best Walt bio I know of.

Michael Barrier's Walt bio, "The Animated Man" has lots of Roy info too.

Good luck. Roy was critical to the success of the company. There would be no Disney today if not for him.

JNota0005DakMC is offline Annual Passholder

Project Futures later chapters speaks alot abut Roy's ;work on WDW... that might be a big help...
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them"
    -Walt Disney

"Laughter is America's most important export"
    -Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!
    http://tomorrowlandgazette.blogspot.com/