Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Miscellaneous Discuss Cancer instead of Disney in the News & Rumors forums; I was supposed to have a trip to WDW this Easter i was going to go with my brother and his family we'd all been planning it since last year. ...
    Ominusrex is offline B-Ticket Holder

Cancer instead of Disney

I was supposed to have a trip to WDW this Easter i was going to go with my brother and his family we'd all been planning it since last year. I made sure that i'd have the time off from work and everything . Then in November of last year i found out i had skin cancer. It was Basal Cell ( non melanomic and not life threatenning ) but it was rather large and on my face near my eye ,cheek and nose. I had to have it removed and have been going through a rather extensive reconstruction process. Which will culminate with my trips dates. I've been off work since the beginning of February and will probably be going back to work perhaps if all goes well right around the time they leave to go to Disney. I've been living on the money that i had saved for this trip because temporary disability is giving me trouble so i can't depend on it for money. This would have been my first trip there and probably a once in a lifetime trip and i'm gonna miss it.
    Life really ****s sometimes doesn't it.

A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes !

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Re: Cancer instead of Disney

Wow! First I hope you remain well and recover quickly.

Stinks about Disney. Fingers crossed that another opportunity surprises you when your body will co-operated.

Meanwhile join us as many of us are living vicariously through the eyes of other members for one reason or another.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

bradisgoofy is offline A-Ticket holder

Don't let it get you down. Never say never about going to WDW. Keep a positive attitude and things will have a way of working out. Start a change jar and empty your pocket each day into the fund. Sooner then you know you will have enough to start planning another trip. Until then, My God Bless You and keep you safe.
    Brad is because he listens/watches the WDWradio newscast on a Sprint EVO in a frontend loader at work. * aka brad49201 on the WDWradio Newscast chat * WDW visit on Honeymoon 8/73 * Off sight - 4/1982 * CBR - 4/1995 * Dixie Landings (now Riverside) - 4/1999 * FW Cabins 4/2000 * DVC Membership ( BWV ) - 4/2000 * VWL - 4/2001 * OKW - 4/2002 * BWV - 4/2003 * BWV - 4/2004 * FW ( in our Fifth Wheel ) - 4/2005 * BWV - 3/2006 then Disney Wonder 3 day Cruise - 3/30/06 then back to BWV - 4/2006 * FW ( in our new MOTORCOACH ) - 4/2007 * BWV & FW - 4/2008 Magical Gathering * SSR - 10/2008 MNSSHP * BCV - 3/2009 * BWV - 11/09 (MVMCP 11-10-09) * Back to FW - 5/2010 & bought BLT * OKW 11/2010 * Second cruise on the Wonder 11/7/10 * MVMCP 11/11/10 * BLT 5/11 * BWV 12/11 * BLT 5/12

Disney05 is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Your health is more important. Disney will always be there as will all of us here to keep your spirits up. So to quote HauntedGabe, "Meanwhile join us as many of us are living vicariously through the eyes of other members for one reason or another".
    When you wish upon a star.....
    LAUGHTER IS TIMELESS, IMAGINATION HAS NO AGE AND DREAMS ARE FOREVER.
    Adults are only kids grown up, anyway. WD
    ...That's the real trouble with the world. Too many people grow up. WD
    "For those who get it, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't, no explanation will do."

http://wdwhomesick.wordpress.com/

Mike Fink is offline C-Ticket Holder

Wow, I'm very sorry to hear your of your setback. Good for you for catching it early though. Once skin cancer gets to Stage IV there's very little hope.

Speaking of hope you should have a lot. You beat cancer. And I'm sure you will make it to WDW. Later rather than sooner, sure, but the day will come. And think about how great you will feel when it does. Victorious.

I wish the best for you and hope you can kick this thing to the side and as Lou says, "Keep moving forward." Good luck to you.

smith913 is offline Fastpass Holder

I know from experience that cancer has a way of taking control, at least for awhile. However, it does not define who you are or what you can/will do. Think of this as a temporary setback only. 9 years ago I was diagnosed with breast cancer - I refuse to let it slow me down then or now! You seem very determined to do the right thing for your health. Disney will be there when you are over this hurdle and ready to go! Until then, keep positive thoughts - prayers and pixie dust your way!!
    Samantha

October 2005 - All Star Movies, October 2006 - Pop Century, October 2008 - Pop Century, October 2009 - Pop Century, October 2011 - Pop Century

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

Sorry to hear. P&P for your recovery and hope another chance comes your way soon.

kandjad is offline C-Ticket Holder

Sending a virtual <hug> your way!! Loads of Pixie Dust for a speedy recovery!!
    It's FALL?!? Already?!?!
    Kate

Thanks to all of you for your kind and well wishes. I had the last of this round of surgeries this morning and all went well. I may have nother small surgery or two in a couple months but it's just finishing touches. And as much as i wanted this trip to disney i knew my health came first so that things like that and many other things i'd like to do will be possible. I have kept myself in good spirits throughout and will continue to do so. Kindness like this that has been displayed here helps tremendously. Smith913 please know folks like yourself and others who have battled this dread disease are one of my main sources of strength . My mom succumbed to a small cell variety just 2 years ago and her bravery is one of the things i have held on to. My goal now is to go forth recover and to devote myself to educating others about the dangers of sun exposure and actually anything involving my learned knowledge of cancer now. If this has given me anything it is that power. Some counceling is also in my near future to help me deal with the fact that how i look has been forever changed but not who i am. Once again thank you all for your well wishes and Kandjad thanks for the Pixie Dust !

Everybody made it safely to the park they've been calling me and giving me updates. I know it's not the same as going but at least i'm there in spirit. My brother and his family are enjoying themselves and that at least makes me happy. My nephew had to go because it was one of those school functions when the school band gets invited to march so it was going to happen for them wether i went or not. They would of loved to have me go too (The More The Merrier)it just wasn't in the cards. I'm dealing with the more important aspect of having to go back to work Monday. When i don't really think i'm ready. I started therapy last week to try and help me deal with all of that. I know a trip to an amusement park may seem trivial when compared to all i've been dealing with but i think it could have been so theraputic. Maybe i'll get my chance again sometime in the near future, time will tell.

eeyore79 is offline Missing "HOME"

Wow! I am so sorry to hear what you are going through!! I will keep you in my prayers and please keep updating us to your progress!!

**pixie dust**

You will get to Disney...don't give up!!
    "A dream is a wish your heart makes..."

http://mydreamingcorner.blogspot.com/

Me (Jamie) - 34 DD (Kayla) - 7

TRIP REPORT AUGUST 2011 http://www.wdwradio.com/forums/showt...l=1#post972048

Keasmom is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass

Aw, that is all sad, but at least they caught it early and you are beating it. Congrats. Now, start planning, and working to make your Disney Dream come true.
    P.U.S.H.-A mantra MOST will not understand.

Disney rocks, Walt was a genius.

I finally went back to work with some mild consternation. Simply because my face is visibly different now after having had it reconstructed and i was afraid i would have to respond to constant questions about what happened. People can be insensitive but i haven't had anything as bad as what i thought it was going to be like. I still have more healing to do both physically and mentally (and one more surgery). But i know everything is going to be just fine. On the bright side i did start saving again for a trip to Disney so as soon as it grows to a certain size i'll think about planning a trip