Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Miscellaneous Discuss Patent for Ride in the News & Rumors forums; Hey guys and gals. On for literally just a couple seconds to post this curiosity I happened upon today. Was looking up a patent number for something and decided to ...
    BamaJenn is offline Disnerd

Exclamation Patent for Ride

Hey guys and gals. On for literally just a couple seconds to post this curiosity I happened upon today. Was looking up a patent number for something and decided to do a search for Disney's patents. Found this one that was issued just back this past December:

Amusement park ride providing free-flying experience - Patent # 7854660 - PatentGenius

Totally caught my attention because it's not like anything I've seen come out of the Disney Parks or mentioned as planned. Anyone care to prove me wrong? LOL
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

dzneynut is offline Trivia Nut & Supplier of Games

Re: Patent for Ride

The purpose of a patent is to protect one's intellectual property, probably just an idea in this case, that has yet to be proven as a viable, entertainment medium. Usually, the idea is far from being fully developed, tested and proven worthy as the basis for a new attraction. I heard somewhere that less than 5% of the ideas developed by WDI end up being fully developed. They probably patent more than just 5% of the ideas, just to cover their bases.
    By the way, I happen to hold a U.S. Patent for a novel, tough polyamide-imide, which is a series of polymers that's tougher than steel. Problem is, they're what we call in the industry 'brick dust.' Very difficult and expensive to process, so pretty much worthless!
    JamesD
    dzneynut@wdwradio.com

My DVD Profiler Collection

Future Disney Trips:
    Oct. 26-Nov. 2, 2013 staying at Beach Club Villas for my birthday and Food & Wine Festival!
    Nov. 2-9, 2013 for WDWRadio Cruise aboard the Disney Fantasy!

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Certainly looks similar to the swing rides at amusement parks and fairs.

Now if they put in indoors and your watching a 3D surround projection with a real nice aroma.....

I'm thinking AK with animals stampeding ya.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Disney.Gen.2.0 is offline B-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    Certainly looks similar to the swing rides at amusement parks and fairs.

Now if they put in indoors and your watching a 3D surround projection with a real nice aroma.....

I'm thinking AK with animals stampeding ya.
    Ooh, that would be a cool ride.

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

Could be on the shelf for a decade, protected, for when they are ready to use it.

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd

Right ok so I know what a patent is and what the time frame can potentially be. With such a quick on/off post I forgot to elaborate on that. I was just curious if anyone had heard any rumors that I hadn't yet that this might correlate with. Thanks folks!
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe