Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Miscellaneous Discuss How is reusing a refillable mug *not* stealing? in the News & Rumors forums; If the policy is that you can only use it for the length of your stay, and you use it to get free drinks the next year, how is that ...
    SteamboatWillie is offline B-Ticket Holder

How is reusing a refillable mug *not* stealing?

If the policy is that you can only use it for the length of your stay, and you use it to get free drinks the next year, how is that anything but stealing?

I have seen people try to justify it this way and that, but when it comes down to it, no matter how much you believe you are getting ripped off, you shouldn't steal.

I just want to hear some peoples opinions on this. I'm not making some grand moral indictment of people who choose to do it (it remains a petty issue no matter the verdict). And apologies if this has already been discussed. I'm guessing it has been, I just don't frequent disney boards very often.

Steamboat Willie

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head

Re: How is reusing a refillable mug *not* stealing?

I am a rule follower. So the rules say it is only good for _________ amount of time so I believe that anything out side of that would be wrong. I don't go often enough to feel like I want to take one back and use it. I also like all the different cups we have received. Fun to say "remember this is from this particular trip."

So for me, it is breaking a rule and shouldn't be done. You buy the cup with the understanding it is to be used this way. Anything else would be cheating.

IMHO.

shelbell77 is offline Deck 7 Cool Kid!

Im also a rule follower. This is stealing to me. As is using it at other resorts during your stay - its meant for length of stay at YOUR resort.
    -----------------------------------------------

Shelley
    Are you 23??? I am!!

MartianCrab is offline Fastpass Holder

Quote Originally Posted by SteamboatWillie View Post
    And apologies if this has already been discussed. I'm guessing it has been, I just don't frequent disney boards very often.
    It has.
    WDW Refillable resort mugs
    Refillable mug question
    “The trouble with quotes on the Internet is one never knows if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

LensGrinder is offline B-Ticket Holder

"Remember, no man is a failure who has friends."

zounds!
    “The trouble with quotes on the Internet is one never knows if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

I still think a better idea is to just include these mugs in the cost of a resort stay. The unit cost on the mugs and fountain soft drinks is very low. When you check into your resort, you recieve a mug for each member of your party. The cost is already built into the price... same as the free breakfast cost is built into the price of other off-site hotels. You wouldn't have to bring the mug back each year because you would pick up new mugs each visit. Oh well, just a thought.

Jerry McTavish is offline A-Ticket holder

Quote Originally Posted by NC_WDW_Daddy View Post
    I still think a better idea is to just include these mugs in the cost of a resort stay. The unit cost on the mugs and fountain soft drinks is very low. When you check into your resort, you recieve a mug for each member of your party. The cost is already built into the price... same as the free breakfast cost is built into the price of other off-site hotels. You wouldn't have to bring the mug back each year because you would pick up new mugs each visit. Oh well, just a thought.

It appears that has allso been addressed by Disney. For 2012, the Disney Dining Plan will include one mug for each member of your party on the dining plan........something I thought they should have been doing all along.
    Let The Memories Begin

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd

Ok so... threads like this are, to me, a method of flame bating (no personal offsense meant to you Steamboatwillie - I understand you were in essence venting about a topic that many people have expressed frustration with before). Obviously no one is going to respond to this saying "We re-use our cups every year, who cares?" because they don't want to be flamed in resonse. LOL

Me... I have always loved the idea of the resort cups but thought that truly, when it comes down to it, unless you can re-use them on multiple stays (maybe limiting it to the resort they were purchased at though) they aren't much more than a sourvenier. It's sort of like the concept of charging for a paper cup when all you want is water.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry McTavish View Post
    It appears that has allso been addressed by Disney. For 2012, the Disney Dining Plan will include one mug for each member of your party on the dining plan........something I thought they should have been doing all along.
    When does that start do you know (or anyone)?
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

WDW4Ever is offline Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by BamaJenn View Post
    Ok so... threads like this are, to me, a method of flame bating (no personal offsense meant to you Steamboatwillie - I understand you were in essence venting about a topic that many people have expressed frustration with before). Obviously no one is going to respond to this saying "We re-use our cups every year, who cares?" because they don't want to be flamed in resonse. LOL

Me... I have always loved the idea of the resort cups but thought that truly, when it comes down to it, unless you can re-use them on multiple stays (maybe limiting it to the resort they were purchased at though) they aren't much more than a sourvenier. It's sort of like the concept of charging for a paper cup when all you want is water.
    Thank you! Haha

If I did buy these mugs, which I do not nor ever have because that amount of soda is kind of disgusting (ever seen Super Size Me?), I would absolutely try to reuse it.
    "If you can dream it you can do it."
    -Tom Fitzgerald
    D23 Charter Member

I don't even drink soda. I just get coffee in my mug.

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd

Quote Originally Posted by MartianCrab View Post
    I don't even drink soda. I just get coffee in my mug.
    We've started getting in the habit of getting water bottles, filling them at water fountains, and using the little crystal light packets etc.
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

We bring a flat of water bottles too. If we run out, we fill them in the park. None of my kids are soda drinkers. No one is overweight nor do we have diabetes....I think soda is poison.

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Rules are made to be broken. I always refill mine year after year. I know they are working on fixing this issue, but as far as I'm concerned, don't want me refilling my mug? Then change it year to year. Otherwise, thanks for the free soda, Disney.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

..and coffee!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast