Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Miscellaneous Discuss Why do some people hate Disney? in the News & Rumors forums; Hit the nail right on the head zippitydoodah....
    penguinmickdis1 is offline C-Ticket Holder

Re: Why do some people hate Disney?

Hit the nail right on the head zippitydoodah.

Evilduckqueen is offline Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by zippitydoodah View Post
    I don't care if people like or not, or why they might hate it... but I hate people being mean about ME liking Disney. I think horse people are weird (and cat people, for that matter), but I never say anything mean TO the horse and/or cat people in my life. State my opinion and why, sure... but I don't laugh at them and tell them they're stupid because that would be rude. I get laughed at, meanly (oh, you know that mean laugh people do) in my face frequently by family members. Laughed at and asked when I'll "grow out of that childish phase". I'm having one or two subtle Disney touches at my wedding and even then, its not that I care whether people like it or not, its the laughing at me with each other behind my back and to my face on my wedding day that I'm dreading. I just got invited to a wedding with a cash bar, and I think that thats cheap, but I'm not going to say something to the couple and it's their decision...

But ya, everyone's different and there are a million different interests out there, and frankly it would be boring if everyone had the same ones. My fiance has no interest in looking at museums and churches in Europe and having to deal with potential language barriers, but about 75% of the people we know think he's weird for choosing a WDW/cruise honeymoon over Europe. To each their own!
    That's exactly right! I get the same thing. I will be having Disney touches at my wedding next year as well, and frankly, I don't care if people don't like it. That is their choice. I have people sneering,laughing and asking "why would you want to go there for?" because we are doing a Disney Cruise and a trip to WDW for our honeymoon. I still get people thinking that this is just a phase...a 27 yr long phase...
    "You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."

elric is offline B-Ticket Holder

Because we love it. There always has to be a positve and a negative, good and evil, and so on.

I'm always planing that next trip 2002 - 1st family trip WDW off sight, 2005- Kids B-days WDW FTW cabins, 2006- My B-day MVMCP FTW cabins,2007- MNSSHP POR, 2008- MNSSHP CBR (free dinning), 2011- CBR (free dinning)

zippitydoodah is offline Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by Evilduckqueen View Post
    That's exactly right! I get the same thing. I will be having Disney touches at my wedding next year as well, and frankly, I don't care if people don't like it. That is their choice. I have people sneering,laughing and asking "why would you want to go there for?" because we are doing a Disney Cruise and a trip to WDW for our honeymoon. I still get people thinking that this is just a phase...a 27 yr long phase...
    Sounds just like me! I'm glad I'm doing the cruise portion of the honeymoon so that I can sometimes just say "a cruise to the bahamas" and leave out the rest of the trip. My cousin and his wife went camping on their honeymoon, just two hours away from home... and yet they sneer at me when I tell them my plans! If people were polite about it then I really wouldn't care how silly they think I am. My dad isn't a Disney fan, but I overheard him telling off one of my uncles and saying "it's not a phase, it's something she's been interested in for 20 years, why can't she just like it?". I'm not all that close to my Dad so it's nice that he stood up for me

I do get how some people could not like Disney World though. I can't stand sitting on a beach or a pool chair. Bores me to pieces! But I really do understand that for some people, vacation means parking it and not moving for a week, and the thought of a hot, sweaty lineup and tiring yourself out with long hours is the opposite of a good time. as far as "Disney" the company goes, the more I learn about it the more I love it, and the parks are what made me get into the company. I'm sure for a lot of people who aren't into the parks, the company is nothing more than something from their childhood at the best, and a money-****ing evil corporation at the worst. Why waste your time and energy trying to convince everyone in the world otherwise?

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd

I am truly blessed to have family, at least on my side, that "gets it". My mother is even bigger a Disney freak than I (if that's possible) in that she has done things I haven't had the opportuntiy to yet (she's been to DL, is a DVC Member, is going on an ABD trip to Italy in September, has been cruising and has taken behind the scenes tours).
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

dramaqueenk is offline C-Ticket Holder

I dont get people who hate Disney at all (obviously) but my aunt can't stand anything Disney. She has 4 kids who are all younger than my brother and I and everytime we go, those kids are so jealous and she is constantly making sarcastic comments about it. But then she was raised by a strict English family who did not own a TV and thought theme parks were evil.

I thank my lucky stars for my parents who couldn't wait to take my brother and I!
    dramaqueenk

"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
    Walt Disney

PAdisneygirl is offline B-Ticket Holder

I totally agree with the sentiments being shared about the problem really coming down to why people who hate Disney feel they need to be mean to people who don't. I love cultural things like museums, literature, etc as well nd when my friends want to do that, I gladly go along or if I really don't want to, I politely decline but don't get mean. Heck, I even went to a HUGE exhibit about chairs once. (Sorry, I learned I have to draw the line at furniture since I am a writer, not an artist) However, I am to the point with the Disney stuff that I rarely bring it up any more and just enjoy my buddies on this board, twitter, etc to share the love. I have a few friends who get it and we can chat about it, but mostly not at all. I hate football (people are obsessed and no one's supposed to ? that). I hate skiing and people go nuts. I hate horror movies and therefore I just "don't get it." You get the point. The bottom line is: Disney Haters! Stop being mean!
    --------

@kathrynlynch on twitter

always looking for WDW fans to interact with, and if you live in PA/NJ that's even better!

Aww Phooey is offline B-Ticket Holder

There's thinking Disney is just a kids thing...and then there's avoiding it like the plague. Most of the reasons I've heard usually tend to either be about "canned vacation experiences" and "Disney Princesses are a horrible influence on little girls".

Different stokes...I'll be the first to admit that Disney tries to be a well oiled machine. But you don't get those experiences anywhere else canned or not. As for Princess movies being all about looking pretty and getting married, my first thought is usually "What movie did YOU watch?" When I was a tot I didn't learn that you must be beautiful to get a happy ending from Princess movies. I learned you must be a good person to get a happy ending. Bad people don't get happy endings. :P

Family-wise it's not a big issue. I have a cousin that considers it the plague (much to his mother's disappointment as she's dying to take her grandson to the World). But all of my siblings are fans and my godparents, their children (and grandchildren) are big Disney fans too. It was kinda funny when we found out their family vacation overlapped with our honeymoon. :P
    Last edited by Aww Phooey; 07-27-2011 at 12:34 AM.
    Gotta love a duck in uniform.

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Almost everyone I know who has professed to dislike WDW...has actually never been there.

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Noyz View Post
    Almost everyone I know who has professed to dislike WDW...has actually never been there.
    Extremely true! Poor miserable souls
    dramaqueenk

"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
    Walt Disney

MartianCrab is offline Fastpass Holder

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Noyz View Post
    I don't have to watch an episode of Glee to know I'll hate it. I think you're underestimating peoples' ability to judge for themselves what interests them. I've come across this attitude in other areas....you don't really hate the beatles, you just never listened to enough of their music...you don't really dislike soccer; you just haven't given it a chance...etc. By the time most adults are fully formed I think they have a pretty good grasp on what they like and dislike. To me, it's silly to insist they need to try it. Let it go.
    “The trouble with quotes on the Internet is one never knows if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by MartianCrab View Post
    I don't have to watch an episode of Glee to know I'll hate it. I think you're underestimating peoples' ability to judge for themselves what interests them. I've come across this attitude in other areas....you don't really hate the beatles, you just never listened to enough of their music...you don't really dislike soccer; you just haven't given it a chance...etc. By the time most adults are fully formed I think they have a pretty good grasp on what they like and dislike. To me, it's silly to insist they need to try it. Let it go.
    I'm right there with you on Glee. Commercials alone are enough to let me know that this one never ever gets a chance. Then again, I am somone who can (and does) judge a book by its cover. Literally. Well, the cover and the first two paragraphs.

As for the Beatles, I've heard enough of their commercial garbage to recognize them for the hacks they are. Fortunately, life dictates that I don't have to start listening to classic rock for at least another 15 or so years. But even then, at no point will "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" come on the radio and I will ever go, "Wow, I love this song..." and leave it on. It's just not going to happen.

As far as Disney goes, if they're not into animated movies or kids' rides, then they're not going to be a fan of Disney, not the parks, the company, or whatever. You can be a fan of amusement parks and thrill rides and not set foot into Disney and still be fine. If Harry Potter doesn't apeal to you, then Universal Studios' new area isn't going to be a draw for you. Hate aquatic sea life? Stay away from Sea World. It's simple. People don't gravitate to things they don't like. As you said, you don't have to experience something to know it doesn't appeal to you. I've never met a dolphin personally, but that isn't what keeps me from spending $300 to go swim with one. And if an animated show or movie from Disney couldn't hold my interest, I'm sure as heck not going to spend over a grand on a trip to Florida or California.
    Last edited by supernova; 07-27-2011 at 01:38 PM.
    Really, Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Quote Originally Posted by MartianCrab View Post
    I never insist they should go or spend all the money on a trip there, however i dislike small minded people who pass their comments on whenever i say i'm going to disney or how much i love it.
    I don't poo poo things i think are nonsense, neither do i feel the need to tell people what i think. I guess i'm a try before you hate kinda person
    dramaqueenk

Walt Disney

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd

Quote Originally Posted by dramaqueenk View Post
    I don't poo poo things i think are nonsense, neither do i feel the need to tell people what i think. I guess i'm a try before you hate kinda person
    Amen Sistah! LOL
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

simba is offline A-Ticket holder

Quote Originally Posted by penguinmickdis1 View Post
    I understand not everyone is going to like it and I understand that they might not like the company, but how can they flat out say they hate every thing about Disney, If they talked to any of the cast members at Disney World I think they would change their mind.
    I agree that everyone has their own opinions and what-not, but most people I know who dislike Disney have never really given it a chance. They're kind of like those people who vote in elections but are ignorant to any of the candidate's platforms. But that's just how some people are. They see Disney as a concrete pavillion full of spoiled kids and chicken fingers. They do not attempt to see beneath that. For us whose minds see deeper than that, we truly are blessed to get to experience what we do. Disney is magical when you delve into it. Any company that can manage that many employees makes it amazing to start with. Then you add the attention they pay to every detail and you can't deny the beauty of it all. That's just my opinion though.
    David Simba Zitzelberger
    Author, Painter, Disney Enthusiast

Author of the fictional Disney novel "Magical Escapades":
    http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/magicalescapades

Disney College Program Fall 2012--Merchandise

Blog: www.magicalescapades.blogspot.com

2011-December, Port Orleans Riverside
    2011-March, Day visit to Wilderness Lodge
    2010-May, Disneyland
    2009-June, Hilton Grand Vacations
    2008-December, Port Orleans Riverside
    2007-July, Pop Century