Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Miscellaneous Discuss Why do some people hate Disney? in the News & Rumors forums; Originally Posted by MartianCrab I don't have to watch an episode of Glee to know I'll hate it. I think you're underestimating peoples' ability to judge for themselves what interests ...
    supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Re: Why do some people hate Disney?

Quote Originally Posted by MartianCrab View Post
    I don't have to watch an episode of Glee to know I'll hate it. I think you're underestimating peoples' ability to judge for themselves what interests them. I've come across this attitude in other areas....you don't really hate the beatles, you just never listened to enough of their music...you don't really dislike soccer; you just haven't given it a chance...etc. By the time most adults are fully formed I think they have a pretty good grasp on what they like and dislike. To me, it's silly to insist they need to try it. Let it go.
    Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    I'm right there with you on Glee. Commercials alone are enough to let me know that this one never ever gets a chance. Then again, I am somone who can (and does) judge a book by its cover. Literally. Well, the cover and the first two paragraphs.

As for the Beatles, I've heard enough of their commercial garbage to recognize them for the hacks they are. Fortunately, life dictates that I don't have to start listening to classic rock for at least another 15 or so years. But even then, at no point will "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" come on the radio and I will ever go, "Wow, I love this song..." and leave it on. It's just not going to happen.

As far as Disney goes, if they're not into animated movies or kids' rides, then they're not going to be a fan of Disney, not the parks, the company, or whatever. You can be a fan of amusement parks and thrill rides and not set foot into Disney and still be fine. If Harry Potter doesn't apeal to you, then Universal Studios' new area isn't going to be a draw for you. Hate aquatic sea life? Stay away from Sea World. It's simple. People don't gravitate to things they don't like. As you said, you don't have to experience something to know it doesn't appeal to you. I've never met a dolphin personally, but that isn't what keeps me from spending $300 to go swim with one. And if an animated show or movie from Disney couldn't hold my interest, I'm sure as heck not going to spend over a grand on a trip to Florida or California.
    And you're right. I don't hate soccer. Just find it boring as ****. I won't pay it enough mind on TV or in person to say, "Wow, that really stunk". And I played on a team as a child.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

So things like Tomorrow Never Knows, A Day In The Life, Taxman, Revolution, etc...is commercial garbage?

That's a rather amazing charge.

zippitydoodah is offline Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by MartianCrab View Post
    I don't have to watch an episode of Glee to know I'll hate it. I think you're underestimating peoples' ability to judge for themselves what interests them. I've come across this attitude in other areas....you don't really hate the beatles, you just never listened to enough of their music...you don't really dislike soccer; you just haven't given it a chance...etc. By the time most adults are fully formed I think they have a pretty good grasp on what they like and dislike. To me, it's silly to insist they need to try it. Let it go.

Thats true of some things and some people, but Ive been to Disney with about 9 people who thought it sounded dumb or childish... and only two remained hating it and thinking it was dumb (both of which only went to MK and thought it was outdated and tacky and didnt understand why nothing seemed to have been updated since the 70s.... a point I make to people who dont want to change a thing about Disney World- you wont get any new fans that way!). It's not like they came home and joined a forum and planned 10 trips to Disney lol, but they would come back with their kids in a second and don't make fun of me anymore. In fact, the last time was with a 35 year old cousin and a 60 year old uncle who I convinced to come to Epcot with me and they LOVED it and still go on about how amazed they are that the park was so good and how detailed everything is. That cousin asked me if I was having a Disney wedding and wanted to know why I was NOT getting married at Disney haha.

Now, I would never force someone to come with me and again, I dont intend to change everyone's mind, but if I do find myself in Orlando with people (about 35 of my family and family friends go to Orlando every year) and they're willing to give it a shot then I do find most people change their mind about the parks. adults tend to be even more "set in their ways" and convinced they know best than kids . But.... it still doesn't mean I care if people don't like Disney and I certainly can't force everyone I know to come on a pricey trip to Disney with me haha. There's a big music festival in my town and I have no interest in going. I bet I would LOVE it if I went... but... it's pricey and I would rather not spend a day in the heat and the mud with hundreds of smelly hippies, so I'm probably never going to give it a chance.. doesn't make me a bad person.

DAR
    DAR is offline Fastpass Holder

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Noyz View Post
    So things like Tomorrow Never Knows, A Day In The Life, Taxman, Revolution, etc...is commercial garbage?

Not to mention they've influenced every musical artist that came after them.
    WDW Radio Android App.

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Quote Originally Posted by DAR View Post
    Not to mention they've influenced every musical artist that came after them.
    Yeah, I mean, I can certainly understand not liking some of their early singles. They were kind of goofy.

But, from Rubber Soul on (possibly even Beatles For Sale) most of the stuff they made was anything but commercial pap.

Oh, and to address Martian Crab's point: If you have no experience with anything you have no idea whether you like it or not.

You may have no interest in it, but you can't dislike something you're completely unfamiliar with.

MartianCrab is offline Fastpass Holder

Oh, and to address Martian Crab's point: If you have no experience with anything you have no idea whether you like it or not.

You may have no interest in it, but you can't dislike something you're completely unfamiliar with.
    If your point is dealing with adults who are completely unfamiliar with Disney, then you may have a shot at converting them. However, unless they've lived under a rock (with no cable TV or internet) someone like that may be hard to find.
    “The trouble with quotes on the Internet is one never knows if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

I'm talking about people who claim they don't like/hate WDW.

For example, a buddy of mine who was under the impression that WDW is nothing but wall-to-wall characters walking around and kids everywhere. Seriously, that was why he disliked WDW.

Absurd.

Now, is he familiar with Disney in general? Sure. That has nothing to do with being familiar with the resort.

Yes. Revolution is commercial garbage. Taxman is an ideal example of pIss-poor song writing. The other two, if I can't get past their commercial junk, I'm never going to delve deep enough into their other tracks to hear other stuff I will never listen to.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

*speechless*

What kind of music do you listen to?

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    Yes. Revolution is commercial garbage. Taxman is an ideal example of pIss-poor song writing. The other two, if I can't get past their commercial junk, I'm never going to delve deep enough into their other tracks to hear other stuff I will never listen to.
    I totally agree. There is no beatles song I will ever choose to listen to. As soon as one of their lousy songs comes on the radio I switch the station.
    “The trouble with quotes on the Internet is one never knows if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

I'd still like to hear what you guys consider good music.

There are only three times people listen to classic rock:
    1) When they're younger and haven't developed their own taste in music so they listen to whatever their older siblings or older neighbors are listening to.
    2) When you get to college, and one dope has his Pink Floyd poster and black light with him, and your RA has some random Rolling Stones album, and so you think you might want to try Rush and Led Zepplin (two more awful, dreadful bands).
    3) When you turn 50ish, and you lose all sense of what good music is. You turn too old to hear anything valid in today's music offerings, and with death just a mere 20-30 years away, you turn back to your comfort zone.

But if you are in your 20s or 30s and are still listening to classic rock, it may be time to open an ear to music. There's some really great stuff out there. But if you're feeling nostalgic, do yourself a favor and don't go back any early than the 80s. As for the 70s and before, you've got plenty of time ahead of you to do that in your twilight years. Doowop, anyone?

Here's a few off the top of my head:
    Mogwai, Radiohead, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Van Halen w/ DLR, The Doors, Jimi Hendrix, The Cult, The Cure, Stone Temple Pilots, Alice in Chains, The Smashing Pumpkins, Nirvana, Iron Maiden, Deep Purple, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Pearl Jam, The Violent Femmes, Jane's Addiction, Guns n Roses, The Firm, Johnny Cash, David Allen Coe, Elvis Presley, Stevie Ray Vaughn, The Allman Brothers, The Black Crowes, The White Stripes, Aerosmith (before they did wimpy movie ballads) Dire Straits, Cheap Trick, U2 (up to Rattle & Hum), ZZ Top.

So you obviously don't care to answer my question, supernova?

My cd collection is 1000+ strong. Anything from Albert Ayler to Frank Zappa and everything in between. The largest part of it is Jazz, with the largest individual collection being John Coltrane.

Most modern music tends to be bland and unimaginative. But, I do like a lot of the Alternative Country acts like Son Volt and Drive-by Truckers. Or some of the neopsychedelic acts like The Soundtrack of Our Lives.

I also listen to stuff like Creedence Clearwater Revival, The Byrds, and Jimi Hendrix Experience almost daily.

Your closed-minded take on who listens to Classic Rock and why is simply laughable. And actually kind of sad, to be honest.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast