Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Miscellaneous Discuss Why do some people hate Disney? in the News & Rumors forums; Originally Posted by MartianCrab Here's a few off the top of my head: Mogwai, Radiohead, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Van Halen w/ DLR, The Doors, Jimi Hendrix, The Cult, The ...
    Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Re: Why do some people hate Disney?

Quote Originally Posted by MartianCrab View Post
    Here's a few off the top of my head:
    Mogwai, Radiohead, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Van Halen w/ DLR, The Doors, Jimi Hendrix, The Cult, The Cure, Stone Temple Pilots, Alice in Chains, The Smashing Pumpkins, Nirvana, Iron Maiden, Deep Purple, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Pearl Jam, The Violent Femmes, Jane's Addiction, Guns n Roses, The Firm, Johnny Cash, David Allen Coe, Elvis Presley, Stevie Ray Vaughn, The Allman Brothers, The Black Crowes, The White Stripes, Aerosmith (before they did wimpy movie ballads) Dire Straits, Cheap Trick, U2 (up to Rattle & Hum), ZZ Top.
    Some really great bands listed here. The Black Crowes are a huge favorite of mine. Their last two albums have been unbelievable.

Aerosmith's last great album was Pump, but I still like some of the singles that came after. Especially Jaded.

Had the entire Iron Maiden collection up to Seventh Son of a Seventh Son on cassette back in the day.

Though, I find your "up to Rattle & Hum" comment curious. I actually don't like that album very much. All the singles released from it were really good, but Achtung Baby is their best album, IMO. Though, I still go back and forth between that and The Joshua Tree. Their last three albums have been pretty good. You didn't like How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb?

MartianCrab is offline Fastpass Holder

I stopped buying their albums after Zooropa. Achtung Baby & Zooropa each had a couple of good songs but the ratio of lousy to listenable increased in favor of lousy from each release past Rattle & Hum. I don't like the electronic dance influence. I kept hoping it was a faze but I finally gave up on them. Plus, bono is a giant tool and I can't stand him.
    “The trouble with quotes on the Internet is one never knows if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

I stopped buying their albums after Zooropa. Achtung Baby & Zooropa each had a couple of good songs but the ratio of lousy to listenable increased in favor of lousy from each release past Rattle & Hum. I don't like the electronic dance influence. I kept hoping it was a faze but I finally gave up on them. Plus, bono is a giant tool and I can't stand him.
    Zooropa was an absolute train wreck. The title track was actually pretty good, but the album went downhill quickly afterwards.

You should give How To Dismantle... a listen. It's the most stripped down, straight-ahead Rock-n-Roll they've ever recorded. The electronica influence was indeed nothing more than a phase that lasted from Achtung Baby through Pop. Starting with All That You Can't Leave Behind they went back to recording old school Rock.

If they're on iTunes I'll give them a listen next time I'm looking for music.
    “The trouble with quotes on the Internet is one never knows if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

One of my all-time favorite jokes before George Harrison's brain turned to mush was always, "What would it take to reunite the Beatles? Three more bullets."

As for music, I was never a true music "fan". More of a casual fan. If it was on, I'd listen to it. From the glory days of classic rock? The only two people/groups I ever owned their entire collection of was (wow, that wasn't phrased at all properly, was it?) Elton John and Queen. Other than that, no one ever really grabbed me way back when.

The past three concerts I've been to this summer were Mumford and Sons, who I first heard when I woke up on Halloween morning this past October in Germany, and then again a few days later while visiting my sister in law in England. I liked their sound and was annoyed when they started catching on here in the States. Sometimes it's more fun to listen to music that no one else knows about. Still, that morning I discovered that German radio is unedited, even at 6:30 in the morning. Wow, Tipper Gore really did ***** things up for us, didn't she?

I took my wife to see U2 last week and enjoyed the show. I was never a fan of their music but she has always loved them (even being an Indian from St. Catherine, Jamaica). They put on one heck of a live show, though. So even though I wasn't familiar with a lot of what they were playing, it was still a solid "concert" experience.

Last night, my wife also wanted to see Bare Naked Ladies, so I took her to their show at the NJ Balloon Festival. Decent enough live show, I suppose. My biggest observation about them as a band was that their songs were not so much funny the way Weird Al still thinks he's funny in 2011 (oh, and um, Al, by the way... it's 2011). They were clever. So maybe they're not musically gifted so much as they can write well, even on the fly on stage about things happening in the audience around them.

That's been my concert experience over the past two months.
    Really, Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

There is great music from pretty much any era out there. It's not always easy to find, but to dismiss an entire era of music is simple nonsense. Sorry.

For me, 1955 to 1965 was the apotheosis of Jazz. Rock saw it's highest point creatively and musically from 1965 to 1975.

Now, that isn't to say there isn't great Jazz to be found from the 1930's or the 2000's. Or that there isn't great Rock music from the 80's to today.

But, exploring the history of each genre kind of gives you a grander perspective. That's why I find dismissive attitudes rather confusing. I personally feel creativity in almost all music forms to be at a low point these days, but that doesn't mean I'm adverse to at least checking them out for myself.

As for the historic aspect, pretty much everything you hear in Rock today owes a great deal to groups like Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, Rolling Stones, The Beach Boys, etc...

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

My wife is a huge fan of Jazz. For me, it has to be musical jazz to be tollerable. Jam-session jazz is unlistenable. We attended a Jazz Festival last summer and Wynton Marsalis was on stage not really playing anything, but just jamming away. Wow, I wanted to smash that horn up his nose.
    Really, Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

60's Free Jazz is the height of recorded sound as far as I'm concerned. I'm sure you'd refer to that as "non-musical Jazz" or "unlistenable".

Of course, it's highly musical, and very listenable. It just demands a lot more from the listener. A great listening band is the height of bliss to me. The interaction takes place between the musicians, but it also involves the listener if they invest enough attention to hear it themselves.

Music is a very important part of my life. I even named my son after two famous Jazz musicians.

DAR
    DAR is offline Fastpass Holder

Here's a few off the top of my head:
    Mogwai, Radiohead, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Van Halen w/ DLR, The Doors, Jimi Hendrix, The Cult, The Cure, Stone Temple Pilots, Alice in Chains, The Smashing Pumpkins, Nirvana, Iron Maiden, Deep Purple, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Pearl Jam, The Violent Femmes, Jane's Addiction, Guns n Roses, The Firm, Johnny Cash, David Allen Coe, Elvis Presley, Stevie Ray Vaughn, The Allman Brothers, The Black Crowes, The White Stripes, Aerosmith (before they did wimpy movie ballads) Dire Straits, Cheap Trick, U2 (up to Rattle & Hum), ZZ Top.
    All great bands and artists and I'll bet that the majority would say the Beatles influenced them in one way or another.
    WDW Radio Android App.

Quote Originally Posted by DAR View Post
    All great bands and artists and I'll bet that the majority would say the Beatles influenced them in one way or another.
    And?

Is that supposed to make me like them now? I hate the beatles and always will.

I've never hated an artist so integral in the formulation and maturity of a particular genre of music, so it just seems really odd to me.

I never really cared for the Jimi Hendrix Experience or The Doors until just a couple of years ago. I never hated them, and appreciated their overall importance in the genre. I just never cared for them musically until I sat down and really invested myself in their music.

Zeppelin is still like that for me. I really don't care much for their music, but understand their importance in creating a heavier, harder approach (along with Blue Cheer, for example) that would eventually morph into Heavy Metal with the help of Black Sabbath.

The Beatles were the most important bridge between Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee Lewis, Little Richard, etc...and everything that came after them. How one can hate them while loving the genre of Rock just doesn't compute.

It's like saying you love Eric Dolphy and Albert Ayler, but you hate Charlie Parker. Or you love Son Volt and Steve Earle, but hate Gram Parsons.

In all cases without the former you never have the latter.

DAR
    DAR is offline Fastpass Holder

And?

Is that supposed to make me like them now? I hate the beatles and always will.
    Of course not I'm just saying there influence was felt far and wide on the industry.

They were sort of the Walt Disney of music trying out new and risky things at the time.
    WDW Radio Android App.

Quote Originally Posted by DAR View Post
    Of course not I'm just saying there influence was felt far and wide on the industry.

They were sort of the Walt Disney of music trying out new and risky things at the time.
    Just the experimental recording techniques created by George Martin and The Beatles, as well as Brian Wilson and The Beach Boys, completely changed Rock music forever. A few years later you could also add Alan Parsons and Pink Floyd for pushing things even further.

It's interesting when you start thinking about it. If their were no Sgt. Peppers or Pet Sounds, Are You Experienced? probably never gets made. Or Piper at the Gates of Dawn.
    Last edited by Mo Noyz; 07-31-2011 at 09:42 PM.

I just think the beatles have been shoved down everyone's throats for so long people just take it for granted that they are special. I think they are overrated and have an incredibly wealthy marketing campaign behind their hollow music. A band that stopped touring in 1966, that morphed into overproduced "recording artists" and had actual little musical ability shouldn't be so heralded.

I just think the beatles have been shoved down everyone's throats for so long people just take it for granted that they are special. I think they are overrated and have an incredibly wealthy marketing campaign behind their hollow music. A band that stopped touring in 1966, that morphed into overproduced "recording artists" and had actual little musical ability shouldn't be so heralded.
    It's all subjective, of course. But I have quite a few musician friends (both professional, and semi-) that play Rock, Blues, Jazz, and orchestral music and every one of them would tell you you're off your rocker.

My one buddy in Florida would also be glad to sit down with you and explain the highly technical style that McCartney introduced to Rock music. He could demonstrate all the crazy inversions and orchestral approach he used that blew musicians minds far and wide back then. Nobody had done this in Rock before. Jon Entwistle later picked up on the style, as did others.

Don't confuse a straight ahead sound with having no musical ability. John Fogerty wrote some of the craziest changes that could be played in a variety of ways, yet it sounds to us lay folk as simple as it gets. It's not.

I've had the benefit of spending a lot of time with serious musicians who have pointed out a great number of things to me. If you choose to believe the Beatles had limited musical ability, that's fine. But, you couldn't be more wrong.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast