Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Miscellaneous Discuss Why do some people hate Disney? in the News & Rumors forums; I understand not everyone is going to like it and I understand that they might not like the company, but how can they flat out say they hate every thing ...
    penguinmickdis1 is offline C-Ticket Holder

Why do some people hate Disney?

I understand not everyone is going to like it and I understand that they might not like the company, but how can they flat out say they hate every thing about Disney, If they talked to any of the cast members at Disney World I think they would change their mind.

MartianCrab is offline Fastpass Holder

Re: Why do some people hate Disney?

They can hate Disney because people are different. How can anyone think it's fun to sit in an insanely crowded soccer stadium with thousands of people ceaselessly blowing on vuvuzelas while watching the most boring game on Earth for hours? Apparently many like that activity, although to me, it seems like torture. Different strokes for different folks.
    “The trouble with quotes on the Internet is one never knows if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Or sit through a seven-movie Harry Potter marathon to hype themselves up for this last movie? Do those people really need to be more excited than they already are? As for cast members, I think if you'd talk to some of them off-hours, you'd get an entirely different story than from when they are told to be perky on the job.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Disney05 is offline Premium Annual Passholder

It's not for everyone. I think they must have a limited imagination. Or they're afraid to loosen up. They're the one's missing out on something special. It's better for us anyway. Just think how much more crowded the parks would be if everyone loved it like we do.
    When you wish upon a star.....
    LAUGHTER IS TIMELESS, IMAGINATION HAS NO AGE AND DREAMS ARE FOREVER.
    Adults are only kids grown up, anyway. WD
    ...That's the real trouble with the world. Too many people grow up. WD
    "For those who get it, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't, no explanation will do."

http://wdwhomesick.wordpress.com/

PAdisneygirl is offline B-Ticket Holder

Most people I've experienced who say they hate it use the "because it's all fake" rationale (at least in relation to the parks). I always try to explain how fascinating the details, backstories, etc are, but I've found that if folks have that attitude toward it, they're not likely to be swayed. These people have in many cases never been to the parks and dont plan to go. I say it's their loss, but then again I "hate" the idea of camping.
    --------

@kathrynlynch on twitter

always looking for WDW fans to interact with, and if you live in PA/NJ that's even better!

If you think the Disney haters are just stupid or that they are missing out you're just kidding yourself. Liking Disney is just a matter of personal taste. What I don't understand is why do people try to "convert" Disney haters? What's the point? In most cases you wind up looking like a fool and in the process you sacrifice your fun vacation while trying to please someone who will never like it anyway. I'm glad there are haters...it's too crowded as it is.
    “The trouble with quotes on the Internet is one never knows if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

albino_pygmy is offline The voice of the Jungle

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    As for cast members, I think if you'd talk to some of them off-hours, you'd get an entirely different story than from when they are told to be perky on the job.
    Indeed.

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head

I figure they just are too serious and think Disney is only for kids. I figure that it is less people I have to fight the lines with.
    Last edited by SnwhtNdwrfs; 07-20-2011 at 11:37 PM. Reason: oops. Thought I was on a different thread.

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

As for cast members, I think if you'd talk to some of them off-hours, you'd get an entirely different story than from when they are told to be perky on the job.
    Playing devils advocate...
    l. Daily Cost, food, water, hotel, park admission, parking strollers. Lets face it, you have to love Disney to shell out that kind of money. Yikes

2. This year anyhow, first time visitors are treated to boarded up areas everywhere. Closed and sealed attractions.

3. Long lines.

4. Crabby, sleep deprived and inconsiderate guests they encounter.

5. Enjoy just sitting on a beach or skiing down a mountain, their own type of vacation from reality.

6. Can't find their inner child.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Or sit through a seven-movie Harry Potter marathon to hype themselves up for this last movie? Do those people really need to be more excited than they already are? As for cast members, I think if you'd talk to some of them off-hours, you'd get an entirely different story than from when they are told to be perky on the job.
    Quote Originally Posted by albino_pygmy View Post
    Indeed.
    ----
    Now as for CM's. I am sure there are some that just love their roles and would not trade it for anything. But just look at the records of negotiations. It tells a story right there and it doesn't look pretty.

My sons girlfriend in Florida was in the kitchen at a counter service restaurant in a moderate hotel. She hated every single moment of it. She found nothing magical about it what-so-ever. It was hot, grueling, redundant and lacked any form of magic.

As my son said upon his return from his CM stint, it is the draw of the lowest level management supervisor you get. That low level management can make your day magical or miserable. My son had the time of his life but was in a plum position with a wonderful, caring supervisor.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd

In my experience those who say they hate Disney, have never been or haven't seen a Disney movie in 20 years etc. It's the same logic as someone who says "I hate reading, I'd rather see a movie." but haven't tried to pick up a book and read it since High School. Hate is probably a bit strong of a word to use in those cases but I cannot tell you how many times I've heard similar things.
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

Quote Originally Posted by BamaJenn View Post
    In my experience those who say they hate Disney, have never been or haven't seen a Disney movie in 20 years etc.
    My best friend went to WDW with his kids recently and completely hated it. His kids are 2-6 years old and he only went for them. Some people simply don't like it.

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

Disney is not for everyone, but it is definitely for me!

penguinmickdis1 is offline C-Ticket Holder

I understand some people hat it, but it annoys me when people just say they it it with no reason at all. That is all I am trying to say. Like if I said I hate soccer because it is soccer, I would understand why people would get upset. Those are the kind of people that I am talking about, not the people who hate Disney for different reasons, like if I said I hat soccer because I find it boring.

zippitydoodah is offline Annual Passholder

I don't care if people like or not, or why they might hate it... but I hate people being mean about ME liking Disney. I think horse people are weird (and cat people, for that matter), but I never say anything mean TO the horse and/or cat people in my life. State my opinion and why, sure... but I don't laugh at them and tell them they're stupid because that would be rude. I get laughed at, meanly (oh, you know that mean laugh people do) in my face frequently by family members. Laughed at and asked when I'll "grow out of that childish phase". I'm having one or two subtle Disney touches at my wedding and even then, its not that I care whether people like it or not, its the laughing at me with each other behind my back and to my face on my wedding day that I'm dreading. I just got invited to a wedding with a cash bar, and I think that thats cheap, but I'm not going to say something to the couple and it's their decision...

But ya, everyone's different and there are a million different interests out there, and frankly it would be boring if everyone had the same ones. My fiance has no interest in looking at museums and churches in Europe and having to deal with potential language barriers, but about 75% of the people we know think he's weird for choosing a WDW/cruise honeymoon over Europe. To each their own!

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast