Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Miscellaneous Discuss Bob Iger is stepping down. in the News & Rumors forums; It was just announced that in 2015, Bob Iger will be stepping down as Disney's CEO and that either Jay Rasulo (chief financial officer) or Tom Staggs (currenty the chairman ...
    strangejames85 is offline A-Ticket holder

Bob Iger is stepping down.

It was just announced that in 2015, Bob Iger will be stepping down as Disney's CEO and that either Jay Rasulo (chief financial officer) or Tom Staggs (currenty the chairman of the parks division) will be taking his position.

While I'm familiar with Michael Eisner's legacy, thanks to the length of time he held the position and to books like Disneywar, I can't say I'm as well versed on the accomplishments directly credited to Iger. I have a few questions related to this.

1. What do you think Bob Iger's legacy will be as CEO of Disney?
    2. Do you think that he was good for the parks?
    3. What will this change mean for the parks?
    4. Do you have any opinions about who you would rather see in the big chair, Rasulo or Staggs?

StewbotTalborg is offline Fastpass Holder

Re: Bob Iger is stepping down.

I will always credit Bob for rebuilding the bridge with Steve Jobs and bringing Pixar into the Disney family after Eisner almost destroyed that relationship. Also, acquiring Marvel, which has proven to be a good choice not only in an entertainment sense, but financially as well.

Looking at all the projects that have come about in the parks, with pouring money into DCA and the Fantasyland expansion, I think you'd have to say he has been good for the parks. Not to mention that the company has really seemed to listen to it's patrons' feedback about future changes coming to the parks during his tenure.

I'm not really sure what it will mean for the parks, I'm not really familiar with either Rasulo or Staggs, but I feel like the parks will be much better prepared for the future when Iger steps down then when he stepped up to the position.

strangejames85 is offline A-Ticket holder

It seems that something that Eisner did that Iger avoided was cost cutting. I think Iger restored Walt's vision that no expense should be spared to make the parks, and the brand as a whole, feel truly special.

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Interesting...this is one I need to ponder for a while, but I do agree bringing Pixar back into the Disney fold was one of his greatest accomplishments. It isn't like Iger is stepping down, more stepping up.

From Inside the Magic:
    The Walt Disney Company announced today that CEO Bob Iger’s contract will be extended through June 2016, but his roles will soon change. Existing Disney board chairman John E. Pepper has announced plans to resign from his position at Disney’s 2012 annual shareholder, at which point Iger will assume the role of chairman, remaining as CEO through March 31, 2015. At that time, a successor for Iger will be named, though he will continue to serve as executive chairman for 15 months, through June 30, 2016.
    In a statement, Iger said, “I’m privileged and grateful to lead The Walt Disney Company and our talented, dedicated team at this exciting time. I’m committed to increasing long-term value for shareholders and am confident we will continue to do so through the successful execution of our core strategic priorities: the creation of high quality, branded content and experiences, the use of technology, and creating growth in numerous and exciting international markets.”
    Bob Iger has served as Disney’s president since 2000, replacing Michael Eisner as CEO in 2005.

2015 is a long time away. By then, either of these two men could fall out of favor with Disney and someone else might emerge as the new elite one.
    Me, I was happy when Iger replaced Eisner, Eisner was no longer fresh in his ideas and became almost obnoxious. Iger to me has had several mis-steps in the last several years too, especially to let the Florida's WDW become nearly stagnant in the new millenium. In this new millenium he has almost been reactive to competitors accomplishments in their parks. His initial plans for a princess land in Fantasyland was stupid, thank goodness fans were able to right that decision of his. Now Avatar will remain on the table, will either bring his final years to glory or flop. I'm not convinced promoting him is the shareholders finest decision. Time will tell.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

Pixar and John Lasseter are number one on my list, followed by all the WDW and DCA improvements. Of course, Iger will still be around for quite awhile as President, CEO, and Chairman.