Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Miscellaneous Discuss E.p.c.o.t. in the News & Rumors forums; I always love watching Walt Disney's pitch for the original Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow And sad this never got beyond the idea stage. My question is, has there been ...
    The Rock-A-Who? is offline A-Ticket holder

Question E.p.c.o.t.

I always love watching Walt Disney's pitch for the original Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow

And sad this never got beyond the idea stage.

My question is, has there been any sort of study, simulation, etc based on what we knew either from the TV episode where Walt pitched it, sketches, etc and see if this would've worked? Long term or otherwise?

Even watching it now on you tube it still seems like a city of tomorrow.

I've tried Googling it, but really how easy is it to find info on the OTHER EPCOT when you type 'epcot' in the search bar
    Last edited by The Rock-A-Who?; 02-06-2012 at 12:05 PM.

Zipadeedooda is offline Fastpass Holder

Re: E.p.c.o.t.

The EPCOT that Walt pitched would sadly have never worked in WDW today. It was an experimental city, there would actually be innovation, research, living, and careers. The EPCOT now is a themepark, nothing more. It still provides tourists with a learning experience at some points of their visit, but is more about thrill rides, character greetings, and dining now.
    Noah

Where Magic Lives

"its a glorious three hour finale I call A Tribute to all Nations but Mostly AMERICA!"

"Now approaching Tomorrowland's Space Mountain"

No, no, no, sorry. I realize EPCOT is a theme park and E.P.C.O.T. was an experimental city. My question is, if E.P.C.O.T. WAS developed as Walt envisioned (as said experimental city - NOT as a theme park) would it have worked. Has anyone ever done research to whatever little information was gleened from this project and see if it could have been successful as-is or, after time, it would have failed, etc, etc.

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Walt was an idea man. Others actually worked out a lot of the practical details and financing.

The major down fall of the Epcot idea was and still is, we are a nation run by governments. Basically an Epcot could never be what was dreamed because schools, fire departments and municipalities are governed by state and federal laws. You cannot just create a new school district 'cause Walt wanted to. That was part of the issue with Celebration. In all of these areas of public service our Nation requires you have elected officials that govern that area from a local level to a National level. For Epcot to work, it would have to have been more of an Empire type government, making decisions for all, democracy would not work well. If Walt really wanted to try and pull this off or a Celebration as originally conceived, he would have had to bought an island and created his own form of government.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

weepstah is offline C-Ticket Holder

Sam Gennaway looks into all of the in his new book, Walt and the Promise of Progress City. I'm still working through it, but I think this would be right up your alley. Jim Hill has a nice write up on that at his site:

"Walt and the Promise of Progress City" covers an awful lot of Disney-related real estate

Thank you! Yes, looks right up my alley.

weepstah is offline C-Ticket Holder

Here's another excellent link:

The Original 'Epcot' Project

3IAlienKid is offline C-Ticket Holder

posted by HauntedGabe.
    The major down fall of the Epcot idea was and still is, we are a nation run by governments. Basically an Epcot could never be what was dreamed because schools, fire departments and municipalities are governed by state and federal laws. You cannot just create a new school district 'cause Walt wanted to....
    I could be wrong, but I thought that was the purpose of Reedy Creek - it gave Disney power to do a lot of things without a lot of the usual red tape because as the owner of the Reedy Creek "government", Disney is basically the only entity allowed to vote on anything that occurs within it's boundaries. I also believe the current WDW fire department is one of the results of all this, they operate separate from the Orange and Osecola County FD's.

It makes sense that if EPCOT were developed as originally planned, then Walt would have wanted control over the school districts so that he could experiment with the latest teaching methods. But since with Celebration we're only talking about a planned community by comparison, I would speculate (and that's all this is because I really don't know much about Celebration or it's problems) that Eisner didn't think he needed to have the type of control an actual experimental city would need, after all Celebration is only a planned community by comparison, he would then have made a deal to have the local school districts take care of the schools. Anyway, it would have cost way too much for the Disney Company to set up and run it's own schools for a simple planned community, and there's no way the draw of your kids going to a Disney owned elementary school would drive up the property values that significantly (who knows, maybe knowing Disney is responsible for your kids education might devalue it), so it wouldn't make financial sense to keep control of the schools.

...For Epcot to work, it would have to have been more of an Empire type government...
    What I've read about Reedy Creek pretty much implies that Disney is the dictator of WDW, and over the years the local and state governments have grown to resent this power a bit, yet they put up with it because of all the revenue WDW brings them.

None of this actually means EPCOT would have worked, but I imagine lack of governmental control would be a less likely reason for failure.
    Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy.