Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Miscellaneous Discuss I hate Disney World when I'm there........But miss it when I'm not in the News & Rumors forums; What a conundrum. :o) Well I wouldn't exactly say hate it when I'm there. That's an awfully strong word and I don't know that I actually "hate" anything. I may ...
    Gatorhead is offline C-Ticket Holder

I hate Disney World when I'm there........But miss it when I'm not

What a conundrum. :o)

Well I wouldn't exactly say hate it when I'm there. That's an awfully strong word and I don't know that I actually "hate" anything. I may dislike it sometimes, but hate?.....I don't know.

Let me continue by saying I absolutely and thoroughly enjoy talking about Disney, planning our trips, helping others with planning, listening to the podcasts, music and just about anything Disney but when it comes right down to visiting the Parks I almost kind of dread it. After a couple of days down there I've just about had it with the crowds, the heat, the sore feet and literal exhaustion. The trying to do and keep up with everyone just wears me out. I think to myself, "If I have to stand in another line" or" if I don't get out of this place I'm gonna blow a gasket!" And then on the other hand I don't like missing anything.

We've been on trips where we have run ourselves ragged and been sick, literally, and I was never so happy than to be leaving but then on the Magical Express bus back to the airport I'm thinking to myself, "when will we be going back?""I wonder if the rest of my family is thinking the same thing?" "I think I've lost my mind. I've gone Disney crazy!"

We were just down for a visit to the World in February and I'm starting to get the "itch" again, if you know what I mean, but I'm also thinking what the heck is wrong with me? It only takes someone in my family to mention going back down and my belly get's those butterfly excitement feelings of "Let's set the date, book it and go!"

Man, this Love/Hate relationship with Disney is a terrible thing. I think I need counseling.
    Comments are welcome.

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Re: I hate Disney World when I'm there........But miss it when I'm not

I'm right there with you. Sometimes. By my last day at the hotel when I'm packing up, I am SO done and ready to get out of there. I sometimes read that people check in and feel sorry for the people who are checking out. Don't. Many of us are running for that d@mn plane.
    Really, Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

DVCDad is offline C-Ticket Holder

You need to chill out. We do less and less each trip with regards to traditional attractions, but enjoy ourselves more and more.

My kids spent all day coloring the Duffy's at Epcot on our last trip. Yes, they could have colored at home, but they were having fun, so who am I to argue?

Our only MUST do is to have fun.

mickeytoo is offline Imagineer in heart and soul...!

Yea, that was one of my first two thoughts, as well.
    The first thought was...you guys are zotzed outta' your minds...!
    The second thought was pretty much what you said...they're just doin' it wrong.
    Granted, we haven't been to WDW and DLR as many times as most folks here, it seems, but I don't EVER remember havin' those kinds of negative feelings about either place, comin' or goin'.
    I always like to look on the optimistic side of life, but I am realistic enough to know that life is a complex matter.
    ~ you know who

WDW4Ever is offline Annual Passholder

It's easy to say chill to something like that but I totally understand where he's coming from and I've felt it many a-time, too. I make it to Disneyland at least three times a year and I think that it gets easier to deal with it the more you go because you don't feel as pressured. If you see a large crowd you just move away from it instead of approaching it.
    "If you can dream it you can do it."
    -Tom Fitzgerald
    D23 Charter Member

Quote Originally Posted by WDW4Ever View Post
    If you see a large crowd you just move away from it instead of approaching it.
    That's the beauty of us owning DVC. We go once a year, and if there's a long line, we all just say "We'll do it next time."

It's easy to say chill to something like that but I totally understand where he's coming from and I've felt it many a-time, too. I make it to Disneyland at least three times a year and I think that it gets easier to deal with it the more you go because you don't feel as pressured. If you see a large crowd you just move away from it instead of approaching it.
    I stand my my original post.
    Like I said, I think they're doin' it wrong.
    Sounds like you've learned how to do it right.
    I always like to look on the optimistic side of life, but I am realistic enough to know that life is a complex matter.
    ~ you know who

Quote Originally Posted by DVCDad View Post
    That's the beauty of us owning DVC. We go once a year, and if there's a long line, we all just say "We'll do it next time."
    Beautiful, indeed.
    ~ you know who

WDW4Ever is offline Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by mickeytoo View Post
    I stand my my original post.
    Like I said, I think they're doin' it wrong.
    Sounds like you've learned how to do it right.
    I must say that I'm very lucky and fortunate to be able to go often enough to feel that way. When you go once a year or two years, it can be pretty horrifying.
    "If you can dream it you can do it."
    -Tom Fitzgerald
    D23 Charter Member

I must say that I'm very lucky and fortunate to be able to go often enough to feel that way. When you go once a year or two years, it can be pretty horrifying.
    Our family has gone once every three years since '01, and our upcoming trip, this summer, will be our first family trip in 5 years. Never once have we felt/been horrified.
    ~ you know who

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

I have to admit as much as I am in love with WDW I have had similar moments. They don't last the entire trip but at times during a vacation I do wonder why I've spent a huge sum of money to put up with....insert whatever. We have done our trips so many different ways too. The vast majority were two week trips with length of stay type passed, with water parks and other bonus items. Been doing them since 1988 with kids. I think we had a better time being able to come and go, sleep in, because we are not early risers but can stay up late.

Our trips became more complicated with fastpasses and dining plan with the ADR's. Our vacations by the seat of our pants were no more. I'm forced to FP Soar'n or stand in a line for 180 minutes, or pick your popular attraction. I must make an ADR or I don't stand a chance of eating dinner at LeCeiller. We were in a stand by lane back a few years ago when my son was a CP. Chill'n in the long hot Everest line as some bullies were pushing there way through the line behind us, we could see the group of guys coming. The got to us and my DS put out his arm and halted them. Vulgar words and threats. My DS knew how to end it and he did. I'm in my head saying Im here with these people why, for a roller coaster?

I have more than my fair share of experiences with tour groups where they just remove the magic too and have yet to understand Disney's lack of ability to control their behavior. Our trips have been fewer and shorter with college aged kids where they were once long and at least annual. Now we are really tired when we return. Yet I try not to compare my trips from young children to teenagers to young adults. You can't. What works for entertaining the small doesn't for teens. Next family trip we will all be able to drink around the world.
    Last edited by HauntedGabe; 04-09-2012 at 01:18 AM.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    Our trips became more complicated with fastpasses and dining plan with the ADR's. Our vacations by the seat of our pants were no more. I'm forced to FP Soar'n or stand in a line for 180 minutes, or pick your popular attraction. I must make an ADR or I don't stand a chance of eating dinner at LeCeiller.
    You're missing the point.

First of all, why do you HAVE to eat at Le Cellier? While I enjoy it there immensely, there IS other food in WDW, even other steak houses. Try Yachtsman, Jiko, or even the Flying Fish. Focusing on "I HAVE" to do ANYTHING on a trip is asking for trouble.

Also, is getting a fastpass or spending 5 minutes making a dinner reservation all that complicated? We maybe do one fastpass every other day. It's not rocket science.

Again, if you're stressing out on your vacation, you're doing it wrong.

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

It gets to us all from time to time.

XQIXX is offline A-Ticket holder

I think the trick is to learn how to adapt as the World changes. The ressies that were once easier to get and the lines that seemed to have moved faster have given way to bigger crowds and the need for ADR's 180 days out and fastpasses. I loved the dinning plan the first few years as it worked great for my family. Once the kids were considered adults and the tip and appetizer and 1 snack were removed, we changed to the counter service plan. We actually like the freedom the counter service gives us and it allows us a more relaxed vacation. For me, the reality is there isn't any food at Disney that I can't get at home that is just as good or better and cost less. I love the atmosphere, but is breakfast for 4 at O'hana really worth $200? For us, the answer is no. If it works for you and your style of vacation then that is great. I think adaptability is the key. As long as we feel we are getting the best vacation and memories, WDW is our special place.
    DVC Member SSR 2005

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

No indeed, a breakfast at Ohana isn't worth that. We had to adjusted to the "New Disney" but we still favor the simpler vacations. It isn't the 5 minutes it takes to get a FP or book an ADR it is the structure and time constraints that add stress that wasn't there before. We have that in our everyday world. And no, I don't HAVE to do anything. I could pay admission and just sit on a park bench, but why go then? I could enter a park too and color but that type of vacation ends as children age. We too had very simple vacations with young children but the game changes as they age. It was a blink of an eye when we had one hormonal teenager and a younger child still. You start to juggle a bit more. It is harder when you are more hemmed in by time constraints. We tried a more relaxed vacation when my DS was in High School and stayed at AKL. One day and he was going bonkers. Relaxed out the window.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast