Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Miscellaneous Discuss Is Mickey Mouse real? in the News & Rumors forums; So the question was posed to me by my 5 year old son. I wondered to myself what spurred this question from him so digging a little deeper I found ...
    Gatorhead is offline C-Ticket Holder

Is Mickey Mouse real?

So the question was posed to me by my 5 year old son. I wondered to myself what spurred this question from him so digging a little deeper I found out that a schoolmate and a teacher had told him that Mickey Mouse was not real and it was just someone in a costume. There must have been some disagreement between them all and since my kid is a Disney kid he stood his ground but wanted further clarification by his parents.

Just a little background info. About a year ago we enrolled our son in a school for pre-k that has a philosophy of teaching kids from an early age about the "real" world and that things that are not "real" would not be taught. I must say I'm not entirely in agreement with this but they like to go about this this way as to not have children disappointed or disillusioned as they grow older. I do like their method of their curriculum and do think it's been beneficial to our son.

So to continue the story, I simply asked him what did he think about Mickey Mouse? He said "I think he's real." And I said "well if that's what you believe then you go ahead and believe that and don't argue with anyone about it." Afterall, he has seen Mickey more than just a few times in his life and I doubt his teacher or schoolmate can say the same. He was so innocent and sweet when he said he thought Mickey was real. I just couldn't break his zest for his imagination.

Needless to say I knew the day would come when other things would be questioned as to whether they were "real" or not but never thought that Mickey Mouse would ever be brought up. That thought never crossed my mind so to say the least he caught me off guard with that question.

I don't want to lie to my child but I also don't want to break his zest for imagination and fantasy. Isn't that what's great about being a child anyway? I want him to continue getting excited about Mickey Mouse and other imaginary things.

Don't our children grow up fast enough without robbing them of childish things? What's so wrong with believing Mickey Mouse is real? As I told my wife, he'll figure it out soon enough. Enjoy it while you can.

What do some of you think about what the teacher told my son when she was asked about Mickey? Have any of you been asked this question by your small children? And how did you respond?

WDW4Ever is offline Annual Passholder

Re: Is Mickey Mouse real?

I don't have kids, but I have known kids in middle school that still believe Santa is very real. To me, that's a little old. That being said, is Mickey real? I say yes. The idea, philosophy, characteristics, and soul of Mickey is absolutely real. As an image, icon, and symbol he's absolutely real. Any physical manifestation, be it a cartoon from 1928 or a costume 5'6" cast member from Sioux Falls, SD is only but a representation of the idea, soul, and symbol that is Mickey Mouse.
    "If you can dream it you can do it."
    -Tom Fitzgerald
    D23 Charter Member

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Boy that is a tough one. It could go smoothly or he can be really ticked that you tricked him. I'm not a fan of any child or adult that "outs" Santa or Mickey. My sister raised her kid without Santa and as my niece aged she felt compelled to "out" Santa. It ticked me off. My kids were raised Disney with their annual trips from the time they were 14 months old and 2 months old, they are 5 years apart in age. I know my son believed they were real, as were the Teenage Mutant Turtles. I think they just put it together on their own without ever asking.

I think you are in a tough spot. The staff and students seem determined to "out" his happy place characters. If he fights to defend them as real he will ultimately feel betrayed. What a sucidoodles position to be in. I really dislike adults that feel so superior that they must burst little kids bubbles for there own good. What the heck does the teacher think I'll hurt him now so he wont be hurt later? Makes little sense to me.

I've been pondering this for a while and fear they will push the point with your child, especially if your child is determined to prove them wrong. They will win obviously. I think I would ease him into the truth. Maybe talking careers. Who would you like to be Mickey or Donald? Would you rather be Mickey forever or be the driver of the monorail? That way you can ease him into it before the cat is totally out of the bag. Stupid People. Errr.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

nicholas is offline Lost in my house

take it from a real kid, me. i am twelvae and i figured it out myseleaf when it was 9. keep telling him what youre teling him. it would break his hert if you told him micky waseant real. thls is my advice. take it or lave it you dont have to listen to my junk im only 12

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

Yes, Mickey is real... as long as you believe... and I do NOT like any school philosophy that forces children to live as adults. Shame on them.

UBMICK35000 is offline B-Ticket Holder

Here's my advice to anyone who doesn't believe in Mickey Mouse. Go to Wikipedia and read the article about Virginia O'Hanlon.
    She's the little girl who asked her father if Santa Claus was real and he told her to write to the New York Sun because "If you
    see it in The Sun, it's so". The Sun replied with an editorial that sums it up very nicely.

Here's the link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yes,_Vi..._a_Santa_Claus
    [indent]Who says you have to grow up? - Walt Disney

07 / 1990 off property
    09 / 1992 off property
    06 / 1997 Wilderness Lodge
    07 / 2000 Port Orleans
    06 / 2002 Wilderness Lodge
    12 / 2003 Grand Floridian
    09 / 2005 Disneyland Hotel
    09 / 2006 Boardwalk
    06 / 2007 Contemporary
    06 / 2008 Riverside
    03 / 2009 Caribbean Beach
    10 / 2010 Yacht Club
    05 / 2011 Polynesian
    12 / 2011 Disneyland Hotel
    06 / 2012 Disney Magic
    05 / 2013 'Grand' Californian
    12 / 2013 'Grand' Floridian

2009 D23 Charter Member

Thanks for all the responses. You all have given me different perspectives that are all useful.

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

You are welcome. Let us know what you eventually decide, this story needs a conclusion and hopefully it will be a happily ever after.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

WDW4Ever is offline Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    You are welcome. Let us know what you eventually decide, this story needs a conclusion and hopefully it will be a happily ever after.
    I completely agree. We need the third act.
    "If you can dream it you can do it."
    -Tom Fitzgerald
    D23 Charter Member

Well, the "issue" has not been brought up again soooo here's hoping the issue will just resolve itself on it's own. Keep ya posted if any changes occur in the not too distant future!

prickle is offline Fastpass Holder

Thats like telling Walt Disney dreams are not real.