Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
Miscellaneous Discuss New WDW Tech Launches in the News & Rumors forums; My point exactly. They're having their share of problems with this because they are pioneering it. Which is why it's not really fair to criticize. Then once they get it ...
    Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Re: New WDW Tech Launches

My point exactly. They're having their share of problems with this because they are pioneering it. Which is why it's not really fair to criticize.

Then once they get it up and running, every other player in the game will do what they can to copy them. And somehow they'll all do it "better".

I know Sea World experimented with a "ticketless" system before, but I'm not sure how it worked, or if they're still using it. Rumors were that it didn't work well and they had to shelve it.

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Noyz View Post
    My point exactly. They're having their share of problems with this because they are pioneering it. Which is why it's not really fair to criticize.

Then once they get it up and running, every other player in the game will do what they can to copy them. And somehow they'll all do it "better".

I know Sea World experimented with a "ticketless" system before, but I'm not sure how it worked, or if they're still using it. Rumors were that it didn't work well and they had to shelve it.
    I think we can criticize what we DO know about the system at least.

Disney has problems to solve that no one else does. They have a huge number of on-site resort guests they want to cater to, but also don't want to alienate the the locals and off-site guests either.
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Quote Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
    It does not appear as if they are copying anyone, and they generally don't "copy" such things. I think the QBot people were working on something similar in some respects.
    While Disney is not exactly copying anyone, they are not the pioneers, just a grander scale. Great Bear Lodge has been using a comparable system since 2006, so Disney has been able to check out and study another industry leader and learn from their trial and errors.

There are many articles out there for Great Bear Lodge, using the bracelets for admission, room key and food purchases and they have interactive abilities for child guests. Here is just one of the articles, sound a little familiar to Disney?

Great Wolf Lodge, A High Tech Waterpark for Families - Dad Logic
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    While Disney is not exactly copying anyone, they are not the pioneers, just a grander scale. Great Bear Lodge has been using a comparable system since 2006, so Disney has been able to check out and study another industry leader and learn from their trial and errors.

There are many articles out there for Great Bear Lodge, using the bracelets for admission, room key and food purchases and they have interactive abilities for child guests. Here is just one of the articles, sound a little familiar to Disney?

Great Wolf Lodge, A High Tech Waterpark for Families - Dad Logic
    Depends what you consider them copying. That's one aspect of the whole system, and it isn't exactly innovative on their part either, but they may have been the first to link it all together in that way.

And if Disney is learning from their mistakes, they must have been massive - Disney's been making some pretty basic mistakes, like issues with the Point Of Sale systems making it easy for a simple CM error to result in the wrong person being charged, etc.

I was referring to the FastPass+ part of it, actually.
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

WDW and Great Bear Lodge. The difference between the two is epic.

It's like people thinking we could repair our economy just like Ecuador did with theirs. Um, no. It's not quite that simple...

Quote Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
    Depends what you consider them copying. That's one aspect of the whole system, and it isn't exactly innovative on their part either, but they may have been the first to link it all together in that way.

And if Disney is learning from their mistakes, they must have been massive - Disney's been making some pretty basic mistakes, like issues with the Point Of Sale systems making it easy for a simple CM error to result in the wrong person being charged, etc.

I was referring to the FastPass+ part of it, actually.
    Yeah, I agree with ya, it is a pretty lack luster effort on Disney's part for a roll out, especially since they yanked the guest test and sent it back to CM testing. Disney can't even keep up with Great Bears roll out of a dozen completely different resort roll outs form 7 years ago that linked multiple aspects to their RFID system.

This week this has been Disney's version of Touch to Pay, this is Friday

So forget your RFID, cash or credit card.

It is disappoint they can't get it together and are still having problems with the more simple aspects.
    Last edited by HauntedGabe; 03-03-2013 at 03:37 AM.

but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Rumor is that RFID will go Live! for Annual Passholders on March 20th, 2013.

Rumor is that RFID will go Live! for Annual Passholders on March 20th, 2013.
    Yup...all new APs will be RFID starting next Wednesday. Existing APs can be converted, but you must go to the old Odyssey Restaurant at Epcot with your AP and photo ID.

Let's see if they make that date.
    Doc

Finally a purpose for the Odyssey?

Hard Plastic Annual passes RFID:

All new AP's from March 20th on sold will be RFID enabled as will then exchanged AP's.

The new cards will have a green background and a colored stripe with the words "Walt Disney World Passholder" and the MyMagic+ logo.

Annual Passes that include parking will have an orange stripe. If you do not have parking the passes will have a black stripe.

This is an interesting article about not owning your ticket but it being a licence of sort...

After spending $1 billion on wireless wristbands, Disney works to rewrite ticket laws Central Florida Political Pulse Orlando Sentinel

This is an interesting article about not owning your ticket but it being a licence of sort...

After spending $1 billion on wireless wristbands, Disney works to rewrite ticket laws Central Florida Political Pulse Orlando Sentinel
    It's actually becoming more and more common for some venues to switch to a "Preferred Seat License" model, especially for sports venues that sell season tickets. That way they can take away the season tickets from someone, rather than them being treated like a owned asset or "bearer instrument" by the person.

I think in this case, the MagicBands, which are basically owned by the person and are acting as the ticket, ends up living on both sides of the fence, so they are trying to codify it differently. Disney can already revoke your ticket, so nothing really changes there.
    Doc

"Preferred seat license"? Really?

I had never heard that term before. How can it be a license if they have a right to take it from you? Personal seating licenses are, in many ways, an owned asset. It gives you right of first refusal for any event that takes place in that arena/stadium. And the right to sell that seat.

Take that part away and there really is no "license" left, is there?

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Noyz View Post
    "Preferred seat license"? Really?

I had never heard that term before. How can it be a license if they have a right to take it from you? Personal seating licenses are, in many ways, an owned asset. It gives you right of first refusal for any event that takes place in that arena/stadium. And the right to sell that seat.

Take that part away and there really is no "license" left, is there?
    There are a few varieties of PSLs that I've seen (and I used the wrong term - it's "Personal Seat License"). Most these days aren't of the any event variety, but are for season tickets to a particular series of events. You own the license to a certain degree. You can sell the license to someone else. All it gets you is the right to to purchase the season tickets, and if you don't, you lose the license as well. It sort of solved the problem of people "selling" their season tickets as a whole to someone else, without having the buyer wait for their turn on the wait list, and without the original owner being involved each year. For the most part, it was just another cost on top of the tickets that season ticket holders had to pay. Not a great analogy after reading it over again, but it was the first thing I thought of when reading the article, and I remember some of the controversies over PSLs being implemented.

But what I was getting at is that by treating it as a license, which is what they want, it becomes revokable for any reason - which more and more sports venues have been adopting with their season tickets. If you sell your ticket to a game to someone who then misbehaves, you can lose all your tickets AND your license.

I'm not entirely sure what the benefit to Disney is exactly, except that if you had, say, an annual pass, and they decided to kick you out of the park, they can also revoke the pass. Although getting kicked out of the park often gets accompanied with a no trespass order, so you wouldn't be able to use it anyways...but I think it puts codifies that the ticket has absolutely no value, vs. some value that may or may not be usable.
    Last edited by doconeill; 04-02-2013 at 08:33 PM.
    Doc

The WiFi connectivity reports in the parks are not good this week or last.

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast