Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
Miscellaneous Discuss New WDW Tech Launches in the News & Rumors forums; Dis News is Reporting: Disney's Hollywood Studios parades closed due to wireless technology interference? Leah Zanolla | Posted: Apr 8, 2013 | Updated: Apr 8, 2013 - 2:33:53 PM Two ...
    HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Re: New WDW Tech Launches

Dis News is Reporting:

Disney's Hollywood Studios parades closed due to wireless technology interference?

Leah Zanolla | Posted: Apr 8, 2013 | Updated: Apr 8, 2013 - 2:33:53 PM
    Two parades at Disney's Hollywood Studios performed for the last time this weekend - the Pixar Pals Countdown to Fun! parade and the Disney Channel Rocks parade/show. These were cancelled on fairly short notice, and nothing has been announced to take their place. Typically, when announcing a closure, Disney would also announce the coming of a new show/parade and several weeks after the first one shut down, the new attraction would debut. According to this thread on the DISboards, the two parades were cancelled because of interference between the parades' electronics and performers' wireless microphones with the RFID card readers at the front gates. "The Pixar Parade would come in close to the entry gates; the Disney Channel Rocks would both come in and depart close to the entry gates." The new turnstiles use RFID (radio frequency ID) technology to scan guests' ticket media for park admission. This poster also mentioned that the same thing is happening at Disney's Animal Kingdom. The electronics in that parade are interfering with the RFID payment devices in the merchandise locations. Disney has not officially confirmed any of this, but it does seem like a likely conclusion.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

Although they should have been smart enough not to use the same frequencies, sometimes their are weird interactions...seems surprising that it wasn't noticed earlier though.

Yet another screeching halt to getting this stuff rolled out...
    HauntedGabe likes this.
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

Quote Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
    Although they should have been smart enough not to use the same frequencies, sometimes their are weird interactions...seems surprising that it wasn't noticed earlier though.

Yet another screeching halt to getting this stuff rolled out...
    Can you just imagine the frenzy when Disney finally realized the issues they were experiencing from touch to pay, the parades, etc were because of this. Would have loved to have been a fly on the wall as the higher ups decided what to do next...betting removing parades wasn't what they had in mind.

You are so right, another screeching halt, likely not the last. Wonder what time frame Disney originally anticipated this roll out to be complete.

The last I had heard the campground and cabins didn't have WiFi, have you heard if Disney was able to fix that for those guests? It Kinda went quiet about that particular stumble.

but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Well, first of all it's purely speculation that the new RFID system is the culprit.

I find it incredibly hard to believe, as Doc states, that nobody implementing the system was aware that they needed to use different frequencies. It could be that they hired the most inept technical team money could buy, but I'd like some confirmation.

Not to impugn the intelligence of Doc, which I find to be extraordinarily high, but if he could post the simplest and most common sense cure for the alleged reason, it becomes impossible to believe that the tech guys currently employed by WDW wouldn't have thought of it long before this new technology was even announced.

Then again, to be fair, what they are attempting to do doesn't have much precedent. This might simply be a case of growing pains.

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Noyz View Post
    Well, first of all it's purely speculation that the new RFID system is the culprit.

I find it incredibly hard to believe, as Doc states, that nobody implementing the system was aware that they needed to use different frequencies. It could be that they hired the most inept technical team money could buy, but I'd like some confirmation.

Not to impugn the intelligence of Doc, which I find to be extraordinarily high, but if he could post the simplest and most common sense cure for the alleged reason, it becomes impossible to believe that the tech guys currently employed by WDW wouldn't have thought of it long before this new technology was even announced.

Then again, to be fair, what they are attempting to do doesn't have much precedent. This might simply be a case of growing pains.
    Thanks for the compliment...

There could be several factors here...it could be a case of "they didn't think of it". The RFID implementors may have had no idea that there were conflicts with the parade transmitters - two very different groups, and the parade has been around a long time. They also probably didn't think to test it specifically, since the RFID implementations are very short range, and the parade equipment would have to be very "loud".

Also, it may not be a direct frequency match, but it could be that one works on a harmonic frequency of the other.

I don't think that they are just speculating about the interference - it would take very plain observation over a few runs to know. What might be speculation is that the parade cancelations were _due_ to RFID interference - I have not seen any official statement (nor do I expect one).

HG, I haven't been following the FW/Wi-Fi saga, but I've been hearing about various issues during the Spring Break weeks that just seem to indicate the system is overwhelmed.
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator

HG, I haven't been following the FW/Wi-Fi saga, but I've been hearing about various issues during the Spring Break weeks that just seem to indicate the system is overwhelmed.
    Yeah, WiFi is just one of the issues and Disney has nobody to blame but themselves. They made a corporate decision years ago to not follow worldwide practices of going WiFi and sticking with the $10 Ethernet in resort rooms only. Disney was so willfully behind and living in the 20th century world of tech. Now launching WiFi, on such a large scale without any experience, it doesn't surprise many that Disney is struggling with WiFi. Disney is going through the growing pains most large facilities went through more than a decade ago. Heck it took a decade for Disney to get their cell towers straightened out so guests stopped dropping calls and were able to receive text messages. Until now Disney had little interest in bringing modern technology for guest use and now they are struggling because of their stubbornness. If, like the rest of the world established a WiFi system for guests, Disney would have only had to be concerned with the RFID launch instead of dealing with both.

But it isn't strictly limited to their WiFi, their entire system can't take the higher levels of usage. The computer system could not even handle AP holders signing up for the Special Preview of FLE without crashing and they relaunched that sign up multiple times and Disney finally gave up and went to the old school process of lottery. Disney never made an announcement about that failure either, just a procedural change. The system does seem to be capable of every day, average use, making reservations and ADRs but they have yet to roll out the entire RFID system for FP+ etc. in slow times let alone during the high attendance weeks. Both times During the Week of Christmas/New Years and Spring Break it has proven to be unreliable for guests and that is without FP+ complete roll out. I would never be nieve enough to expect Disney to make that statement or confirm their internal struggles, what corporation would but just like the AP Preview crashes, it wasn't difficult to the fan community to see the obvious.

But now and very unDisney, pulling entertain abruptly in a parks that are already struggling with the 1/2 day mantra adds credence to what is being said about the compatibility of their various technologies they have launched within the parks. Disney has always announced well in advance when major entertainment changes were ending and what would replace them. I tend to agree Disney likely didn't realize some of the new launches would run interference with other tech previously implemented. It didn't take their tech staff long to find a pattern for the crashing of touch to pay. More the difficult decision of what to pull, that had to be a frustrating choice between entertainment and tech however I don't believe they could choose entertainment, too much is riding on the entire package of RFID.

ohiodisneydad is offline Hi, my name is David and I like Beverly.

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    Yeah, WiFi is just one of the issues and Disney has nobody to blame but themselves. They made a corporate decision years ago to not follow worldwide practices of going WiFi and sticking with the $10 Ethernet in resort rooms only. Disney was so willfully behind and living in the 20th century world of tech. Now launching WiFi, on such a large scale without any experience, it doesn't surprise many that Disney is struggling with WiFi. Disney is going through the growing pains most large facilities went through more than a decade ago. Heck it took a decade for Disney to get their cell towers straightened out so guests stopped dropping calls and were able to receive text messages. Until now Disney had little interest in bringing modern technology for guest use and now they are struggling because of their stubbornness. If, like the rest of the world established a WiFi system for guests, Disney would have only had to be concerned with the RFID launch instead of dealing with both.
    I think their delay in adding cell towers may have been more along the lines of finding a way to incorporate modern technology with Walt's original desire to keep the real world from encroaching on WDW, more specifically MK. Maybe, just maybe, this is just one time the Disney Corporate giant is honoring Walt's desire. Nothing would ruin the Magic more then seeing a cell tower rising behind Splash Mountain. Of course most folks are more concerned with what's going on in their digital-verse then the real world anyway.
    Mo Noyz likes this.
    "Life is an occassion. Rise to it."- Mr. Magorium
    "Welcome Home"- Best words you'll ever hear when you check in at a Disney Resort

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Nicely said, brother.

Quote Originally Posted by ohiodisneydad View Post
    I think their delay in adding cell towers may have been more along the lines of finding a way to incorporate modern technology with Walt's original desire to keep the real world from encroaching on WDW, more specifically MK. Maybe, just maybe, this is just one time the Disney Corporate giant is honoring Walt's desire. Nothing would ruin the Magic more then seeing a cell tower rising behind Splash Mountain. Of course most folks are more concerned with what's going on in their digital-verse then the real world anyway.
    I doubt it, but it is a warm and fuzzy thought.

Disney does and did little to honor Walt, his dreams or his type of park, especially and more so at WDW since Walt was pretty much worm food before ground was broke, it was Roy's park, DL being Walt's. WDW closed classic attractions, rebranded attractions into advertisements for the latest movies, (PoC, Countdown to Extinction,) sitting on their hands while FW rots, Tomorowland to yesteryear, bill boards advertising TV shows in DHS, newspapers at resorts, cable TV, McDonalds on Property, Ethernet $$ in guest rooms, Obama on Main Street (Walt was Republican), Liquor at the MK, renaming the Empress Lilly, the list is endless that is the Anti-Walt, nothing more striking than Main Street resembling a Big Box Store vs Walt's Main Street USA.

An inadequate amount of cell towers because Walt wouldn't want a phone invading WDW is unlikely, more there was nothing in it $$$ for WDW. DL is the template for all things Walt, they tend to hold onto tradition more there than anywhere.
    Last edited by HauntedGabe; 04-10-2013 at 04:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Noyz View Post
    Nicely said, brother.
    But so not what Iger believes, he coined keeping WDW moving forward. If I were a betting lady I bet he has taken a cell into Disney parks since he joined the corp if Walt would have liked it or not.

ohiodisneydad is offline Hi, my name is David and I like Beverly.

But so not what Iger believes, he coined keeping WDW moving forward. If I were a betting lady I bet he has taken a cell into Disney parks since he joined the corp if Walt would have liked it or not.

I agree with you. But we've had numerous lively discussions on here on the topic of what Disney purists feel Walt would do or want versus what the new guard has done or will do and the purists are losing. I have no problem with cell towers being added near WDW as long as they blend in.

I was always amazed that I could get free wi-fi if I stayed off property at say a Days Inn versus having to pay $10 a day to connect to the internet using an ethernet cable on Disney property.
    "Life is an occassion. Rise to it."- Mr. Magorium
    "Welcome Home"- Best words you'll ever hear when you check in at a Disney Resort

Quote Originally Posted by ohiodisneydad View Post
    I agree with you. But we've had numerous lively discussions on here on the topic of what Disney purists feel Walt would do or want versus what the new guard has done or will do and the purists are losing. I have no problem with cell towers being added near WDW as long as they blend in.

I was always amazed that I could get free wi-fi if I stayed off property at say a Days Inn versus having to pay $10 a day to connect to the internet using an ethernet cable on Disney property.
    So true. It frustrated many especially when the economy tanked and the business world felt more compelled to stay in touch with work on vacations, trucking back to room to hook up to Ethernet made Disney anything but cutting edge in resort amenities.

WDW was not built according to Walt's dreams, far from it. By then a corporation that made it decisions based on the board needing to answer to stockholders. If they still cared about Walt they would have never let Storybook bleed into Tomorrowland and Fantasyland into Liberty Square. Cell towers were always hidden away and there is nobody better than Disney at hiding their infrastructure. One of the best examples is at Epcot when you take the spin outdoors. It is absolutely amazing to see what is on the outside of that track as it is completely backstage most miss the cars parked in the middle of the track loop. Guests on a whole are completely unaware of the sights around them as Disney does do an excellent job of disguising them. I've been fortunate enough to see a chunk of the backstage areas, I'm in awe of what they make disappear with a simple tree.

Let me just address this, as there are a few things that I at least have some knowledge about...

Wi-Fi is notoriously finicky. It can work perfectly for a while, then suddenly be totally ****. I was just in an office today, where I can have great signal on my phone, then take two steps and suddenly I can't connect - even if I still have a signal. Too many things can interfere with it, especially in a crowded building with multiple companies, and some companies with multiple access points. And that's not with tens of thousands of users either.

In the U.S., there are really only three useful channels available for your typical Wi-Fi frequency (2.4GHz - also the frequency used by the active transmitters in magic bands - just wait for what happens then... ), not the 11 advertised, because they overlap. Only 1, 6 and 11 don't overlap with each other.

As for Wi-Fi towers - Disney uses cell frequency repeater equipment that is essentially a "mini-tower" for the frequencies with a lot of them spread throughout the parks, but are effectively provider-agnostic. That way they don't need to have tall towers visible from the parks. But they need to pass those signals on to the provider, and for some reason either they all aren't all on board or Disney isn't supporting all of them. It's been a few years since I talked with the company that dealt with these repeaters. But they could be having a similar capacity issue as the number of smartphones has increased. And I bet a high percentage of smartphone users have no idea if they are using wi-fi or 3G or 4G...they just know they can't connect.
    Doc

Let me just address this, as there are a few things that I at least have some knowledge about...

Wi-Fi is notoriously finicky. It can work perfectly for a while, then suddenly be totally ****. I was just in an office today, where I can have great signal on my phone, then take two steps and suddenly I can't connect - even if I still have a signal. Too many things can interfere with it, especially in a crowded building with multiple companies, and some companies with multiple access points. And that's not with tens of thousands of users either.

In the U.S., there are really only three useful channels available for your typical Wi-Fi frequency (2.4GHz - also the frequency used by the active transmitters in magic bands - just wait for what happens then... ), not the 11 advertised, because they overlap. Only 1, 6 and 11 don't overlap with each other.

As for Wi-Fi towers - Disney uses cell frequency repeater equipment that is essentially a "mini-tower" for the frequencies with a lot of them spread throughout the parks, but are effectively provider-agnostic. That way they don't need to have tall towers visible from the parks. But they need to pass those signals on to the provider, and for some reason either they all aren't all on board or Disney isn't supporting all of them. It's been a few years since I talked with the company that dealt with these repeaters. But they could be having a similar capacity issue as the number of smartphones has increased. And I bet a high percentage of smartphone users have no idea if they are using wi-fi or 3G or 4G...they just know they can't connect.
    I too have a very good knowledge of adequate WiFi and the whys of what makes them finicky. Done right and it isn't so finicky. Having to sit through all those meetings to put it into our 3 schools and administration center I learned more than I ever cared to learn. So many are willfully inadequate for the amount of users connecting to them, they become finicky We also have a 70 year old building, it took care to have connectivity in all classrooms, same with cell phone use, we needed a booster for the lower level. Originally WDW was a horrid place to use cells, then it was better for a long time and now bad again during extreme busy times, mostly in the parks and DTD, not so much at the resorts. Disney is still stumbling, their projections were so far off estimating how many guests would actually be using the system in the parks. Disney is wise to not roll out RFID fully until they can get the cell issues and WiFi far more stable than they are now.

Do you really believe a high number of guests don't know the difference between 3-4G and WiFi and which one they are connected to? With data plans I'd be surprised if there were that many clueless out there and yeah your right though, they certainly know when they can't connect.

Do you really believe a high number of guests don't know the difference between 3-4G and WiFi and which one they are connected to? With data plans I'd be surprised if there were that many clueless out there and yeah your right though, they certainly know when they can't connect.
    Yes I do. I bet most of them don't care if they are on wi-fi or mobile data, or what the difference is - they just want to tweet.
    Doc

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast