Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
Miscellaneous Discuss New WDW Tech Launches in the News & Rumors forums; Originally Posted by HauntedGabe Disney has launched their NextGen RFID at the Park entrances this week that they tested last year. Tweaking of the main entrances will continue to accommodate ...
    HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Re: New WDW Tech Launches

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    Disney has launched their NextGen RFID at the Park entrances this week that they tested last year.
    Tweaking of the main entrances will continue to accommodate the RFID readers.

Good Photo of entrance.

Should make for some interesting tan lines.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

Gabe asked me to repost this here - it's an article I wrote summing up what we know so far of the MyMagic+/Fastpass+ system, along with some speculation and relative confidence of such:

Some details of the forthcoming FastPass+ and MyMagic+ programs at WDW

A quick rundown - most of the information is taken from the Terms & Conditions page on the My Disney Experience web site and app (seems the iOS app has been updated for FP+ features although they don't work yet - Android app has yet to be updated), along with statements from Tom Staggs and his minions, and the EVP of NextGen, Nick Frankin. Everything is subject to change though (like how they already changed the RFID PIN requirement after tests raised serious issues).

MagicBands will take the place of KTTW cards for resort guests (although you _may_ be able to opt for a more ticket-like RFID card), and will handle everything that KTTW cards do, plus PhotoPass (or PhotoPass+, some sort of new package), and also help provide additional "experiences".

FastPass+ will allow guests to choose attractions return times and other experiences such as exclusive fireworks/parade locations up to 60 days in advance. Current limitations are a maximum of three pre-booked experiences (and possibly in total...) per day, and only for a single park per day. Disney expects to be able to offer additional things, such as additional FP+, depending on availability, etc. It appears it will also limit you to a single FP+ per attraction. If you want to ride more than once, you need to use the standby line.

Attractions are likely to be tiered, with "E-tickets" being in one tier with possibly only a single selection allowed.

Guests using FastPass+ will NOT be able to use regular Fastpass, which will exist in tandem at least for a while as eventually every guest will be able to utilize FP+ (all tickets will be RFID). It is unclear if there will be any FP+ available during the day like with FP, or will it only be able to be booked in advance.

Up until the first FP+ experience time, you can change all of the experiences and park. Once you hit your first experience time (or it expires, it is unclear), you can only change the remaining ones and it appears only for the same park.

All guests will eventually be able to participate in FP+ (and very likely it will be the only option once all guests have access). Guests will have some way to tie a pre-purchased ticket to their account in My Disney Experience to be able to pre-book FP+. It will NOT be restricted to resort guests (no is it expected at this time that resort guests get any extras), although it will likely be rolled out in phases, with one or two resorts' guests getting it first, etc. I hear Boardwalk Inn is the first to be converted.

Still a lot of questions as to what benefits AP holders will get. Initial rumors had them getting a fixed number of FP+s available per quarter. Hearing some rumbles that they are re-thinking it.

Guests will be able to use the My Disney Experience app to access their account and book/change their FP+ experiences, even while in the park (once park-wide Wi-Fi is completed). Guests without smartphones will be able to access their info via kiosks throughout the parks and resorts. It is expected that the app will also allow Disney to send reminders and special offers to guests based on where they are, etc.
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

Nice breakdown Doc!

The twists I've found interesting:

The MyMagic+ system will include Annual Passholders, as well as guests purchasing photography packages. All other guests will continue to use the RFID cards unless they opt to purchase a MagicBand.

Currently Fastpass+ only allows guests to select three attractions in advance per day, and they may not be able to select additional Fastpass tickets during the day. If that becomes standard and all guests will only be allowed to get three Fastpasses per day (in advance or at centralized kiosks, with the dispensers at the attractions being removed), that would put more people into the queues.

but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

We all speculated that it could happen, just when or how. Seems the offsight guest will get ding'd for the wristbands. Also if you don't wish to wear a generic wristband, that upgrade will cost all guests also.

Disney Food Blog has posted the first of the information available.......

How MyMagic+ Will Affect Disney Dining | the disney food blog

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    We all speculated that it could happen, just when or how. Seems the offsight guest will get ding'd for the wristbands. Also if you don't wish to wear a generic wristband, that upgrade will cost all guests also.

Disney Food Blog has posted the first of the information available.......

How MyMagic+ Will Affect Disney Dining | the disney food blog
    They may be overstating things a bit in terms of "scheduling your whole day". Word still on the street is it is limited to 3 FP+ selections a day in one park only. And you _may_ be able to get more while in the park but that is cloudy...and still likely only one E-ticket attraction.

From the information I have so far, it will be a lot more standing in line if you want to ride all the rides in one day. It actually looks like WDW wants people to have to spend more days in the park to do everything (which would meet the stated goal of keeping you on property longer).
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator

JNota0005DakMC is offline Annual Passholder

Yeh... By doing that they keep you on property for your entire vacation and then they get you to come back for "the things you missed..."
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them"
    -Walt Disney

"Laughter is America's most important export"
    -Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!
    http://tomorrowlandgazette.blogspot.com/

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Interesting exchange from another podcast that I heard yesterday speaking about the "order ahead" option that this new tech will provide:

{{Host A: What happens if you don't have enough seats for both those who order ahead vs. those who are in the "stand by" line?

Host B: Maybe temporary close the "stand by" line?}}

Probably not, but it's certainly food for thought. Look at how shoddy the FP vs. stand by flow already works at existing FP attractions.

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Noyz View Post
    Interesting exchange from another podcast that I heard yesterday speaking about the "order ahead" option that this new tech will provide:

{{Host A: What happens if you don't have enough seats for both those who order ahead vs. those who are in the "stand by" line?

Host B: Maybe temporary close the "stand by" line?}}

Probably not, but it's certainly food for thought. Look at how shoddy the FP vs. stand by flow already works at existing FP attractions.
    Interesting thought. Of course, the can probably limit the number of people who can order ahead...

I can tell you the suits think that FP+/MM+ solves all of WDW's in-park ailments. I can also tell you that experienced repeat WDW goers aren't going to like it.
    Doc

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

As HG stated earlier, I'm going to keep an open mind about this. But, I will say that what we've heard so far certainly does not excite me.

Now, with that said I also have to readily admit that although I thought having free wi-fi in the parks was a bad idea. Having experienced it first hand (even using it myself for dining and wait time apps) I found it to be far less intrusive and obnoxious than I thought it would be. I think I saw people on their phones LESS on this last trip than I had on our previous trip! Heck, I even saw people sitting on curbs and park benches using iPads. The nice part about that being that they were sitting down and out of the way.

Perhaps society is evolving in their approach to using cell phones and tablets. Realizing they are more an integral part of their lifestyle rather than exclusively BEING their lifestyle.

clj2 is offline C-Ticket Holder

Not a fan of this at all. Quite confusing, to be honest, and I typically find technology easy to understand.

Is the goal eventually to shift to FP+ and do away with traditional FP? What about people who buy their tickets at the park or in their hotel? Would they then not be able to receive any kind of FP at some point?

I rarely use FP - I go when it's a ghost town, so there's really not much need for it. I do, however, enjoy having it there if needed. Since I don't book anything through WDW, I always just wait and buy my ticket the night before. Won't be taking advantage of FP+. I'm not for the idea of having such a planned vacation at all. All I ever plan is what park I'm going to on what day and where I'll be eating that night. As long as I can get in, get my quick service lunch, and get out by 6pm, I'm totally happy. Don't need technology complicating something else.
    WDW:: March 1996 (Buena Vista Palace DTD) | March 2005 (Hilton DTD) | March 2007 (Hilton DTD) | March 2009 (Hilton DTD) | August 2011 (Hilton DTD) | March 2012 (Royal Plaza DTD) | August 10th-17th 2013

Quote Originally Posted by clj2 View Post
    Not a fan of this at all. Quite confusing, to be honest, and I typically find technology easy to understand.

Is the goal eventually to shift to FP+ and do away with traditional FP? What about people who buy their tickets at the park or in their hotel? Would they then not be able to receive any kind of FP at some point?

I rarely use FP - I go when it's a ghost town, so there's really not much need for it. I do, however, enjoy having it there if needed. Since I don't book anything through WDW, I always just wait and buy my ticket the night before. Won't be taking advantage of FP+. I'm not for the idea of having such a planned vacation at all. All I ever plan is what park I'm going to on what day and where I'll be eating that night. As long as I can get in, get my quick service lunch, and get out by 6pm, I'm totally happy. Don't need technology complicating something else.
    There are a lot of questions left, but from all the info I've digested:

1) Yes, FP will eventually be done away with once everyone has access to and is using FP+. It would be very difficult for them both to co-exist, since the capacity of the attractions doesn't change.

2) One of the survey questions asked of FP+ testers is whether they'd buy tickets directly from Disney for the feature. This has some worried that third-party tickets like from Undercover Tourist might be excluded, but I'm hearing that is NOT the case. However, to take advantage of booking in advance, you MUST have the ticket codes. Some classes of tickets that you can't get until arrival will have issues. They will have to contend with trying to get whatever is left the day they arrive.
    Doc

Thanks for the breakdown, Doc.

If they were to just offer 3 a day....I wonder if they will be cutting back the attractions they offer FP+'s at vs. FP and just mainly offer them at the E-tickets? It's really hard for me to fathom, if just limited to 3, myself or anyone else letting trivial stuff like Winnie The Pooh, Peter Pan, The Seas, Stitch, etc. be one of them. I'm not a fan of the system, but I think it's more practical with the E-ticket stuff that would be WORTH scheduling the day around to a lot of visitors (the Mountains, Soarin', RnRC, etc). Not a little 3 minute kids ride.

I'm not seeing this going over extremely well. If they just offer several a day, as far as using Fastpasses to cut wait times, it seems like a step down from the current system.
    WDW:: March 1996 (Buena Vista Palace DTD) | March 2005 (Hilton DTD) | March 2007 (Hilton DTD) | March 2009 (Hilton DTD) | August 2011 (Hilton DTD) | March 2012 (Royal Plaza DTD) | August 10th-17th 2013

From what my DS has shown me the choices come in blocks. Remembering they are also adding FP+ to under utilized attractions too. So the block for the day now anyhow is 4 per day in a specific time frame. You pick the time and the "grouped" attractions you want, you can't at this time piecemeal.

Made up example:

Thunder, Haunted Mansion, Tiki, Pirates. 9:00am, and then moderate times inbetween

Thunder, Haunted Mansion, Tiki, Pirates. 2:00pm and moderate times inbetween

or

Splash, Philharmagic, Mermaid, Buzz 12pm and....

Splash, Philharmagic, Mermaid, Buzz 5 pm and ....

As of now you cannot cherry pick your four as Splash, Space, Thunder, Haunted Mansion. Disney is attempting to push guests into attractions that under attended thus paring down the lines in more popular attractions.

By Grouping these FP+ attractions into blocks of time it will allow for guests to at the same time book their ADR's and leave time gaps for Wishes or the afternoon parade.

Now what will happen when a parade doesn't go off on time due to rain, or Splash or Space is down for a block of time remains to be seen. Will the guest just loose out on a FP+ return to Space or be given a new return time, what happens then if it conflicts with an ADR?

Questions out pace the answers at this point. This type of structured appointment times lends itself to a system that rarely has hiccups. Disney has too many attractions right now that continue to have operational problems. If I were the Empress of this FP+ system I believe I would have waited until the major refurbishments needed throughout the parks were completed and attractions were more reliable.

Or even with the state of Future World, how do you send the FP+ unsuspecting guests in good faith off to Imagination? You have three attractions, TT, Soarin and SSE that are pretty much staples. Nemo, Turtle show, Thrush?, Mission Space, Imagination, Energy are not received well to certain demographics so this will be a challenge to FP+ Group the E's with the other attractions available. At AK I can see Disney splitting the Safari and Everest in separate bundles and guests still bolting after they experiencing both.

I can really see how this FP+ that looks good on paper to Disney could fall apart when implemented.

There will actually be MORE FP+ choices than there are currently FP choices. But several are likely things you would never even consider needing them for. Some will very different, like reserved areas for parades, etc.

I think there is supposed to be more flexibility in scheduling than what previous tests have shown, but there will be "FastPicks" that will pick several attractions for you (based on preference settings that don't seem to be in the live site yet), that will be grouped time-wise.

What testing has shown is that attractions will be in two tiers, with a limited selection from each tier - likely only one from the "E-ticket" tier.
    Doc

OK, it's coming together now to me - but I still think the visitors will be the losers with the new system, with Disney the winner. It looks to me that we'll be seeing LESS FP+'s for the E-tickets than we currently see, if they limit them, meaning longer lines which equals getting less done in a day which equals needing to stay more days which equals more $$ for Disney. I know some people get several FP's per day for, say, Thunder Mountain Railroad. I've gotten a couple a day before also. If they can just get them in a block once per day, that's REALLY gonna tick off some of the long time visitors.

I think Disney's priorities are way out of order here...gotta agree.

So do you all like this system more (if there were no flaws)? I know some people that are hardcore FP users and get them like candy that won't like this. Like I said - I go in the early spring or late summer, so I've rarely really needed them, but I think I'll pass. I might be the only one here who's never done an ADR, too, so what do I know...

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast