Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
Miscellaneous Discuss New WDW Tech Launches in the News & Rumors forums; One of the theories out there is that some of this change is to fix what was perceived to be a problem at the e-tickets, especially TSM and Soarin', where ...
    doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

Re: New WDW Tech Launches

One of the theories out there is that some of this change is to fix what was perceived to be a problem at the e-tickets, especially TSM and Soarin', where you had to get their early in order to get a Fastpass at all. Some data indicates that the average guest doesn't get to the park until after 11am - leaving few if any Fastpasses at those two attractions.

There is a belief that quite a few FPs were taken by some guests multiple times at the attractions, allowing them to ride multiple times with no wait, while others got shut out and had to endure 2+ hour waits if they wanted to ride at all. By limiting it to one, this means more FP+s are available to more different guests, and not just the same guests over and over - and it doesn't require being there at rope drop. In theory there, the standby lines should still be the same - or even shorter, since some guests who used to re-ride several times will probably opt not to.

However, by also limiting it to one e-ticket to choose from - i.e. if you get TSM, you can't get it at RNRC or TOT - the standby lines will still be longer, since you will HAVE to ride standby at the other e-tickets if you want to ride them.

My HOPE is that they find the system ends up underutilized, and rethink the allocation methods. I'd be fine being limited to one FP+ per attraction.
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

I'd love to set the FP system on fire, and dump the ashes in the toilet.

I'm wondering if they'd be open to that idea...

clj2 is offline C-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Noyz View Post
    I'd love to set the FP system on fire, and dump the ashes in the toilet.

I'm wondering if they'd be open to that idea...
    I'll gladly help. I was barely on board with the old system, totally off with the new one. Last time I got one, I returned and was told something was down and they couldn't acknowledge it.

This all seems like a big headache. I'll be interested to see how many people take advantage of the system. It seems like the planning in advance, etc. would be quite overwhelming and annoying to the average visitor. I know people who have always gotten FP's for all of the E-Tickets and planned them throughout the day (notably at Epcot, with TT and Soarin, and DHS with RnRC and TOT) - that kind of visitor is going to be ticked off big time with the changes. Unless it's really busy, I could see people using the FP+ for the E-Ticket and forgetting using it for the rest. People don't want FP+s to the minor stuff. They want them to the E-Tickets.

According to this article (which is somewhat old), it's apparently just going to be available to on-site guests, at least for a while. I wonder how many offsite guests order their tickets in advance through Disney?
    Last edited by clj2; 01-23-2013 at 01:37 AM.
    WDW:: March 1996 (Buena Vista Palace DTD) | March 2005 (Hilton DTD) | March 2007 (Hilton DTD) | March 2009 (Hilton DTD) | August 2011 (Hilton DTD) | March 2012 (Royal Plaza DTD) | August 10th-17th 2013

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Quote Originally Posted by clj2 View Post
    I'll gladly help. I was barely on board with the old system, totally off with the new one. Last time I got one, I returned and was told something was down and they couldn't acknowledge it.

This all seems like a big headache. I'll be interested to see how many people take advantage of the system. It seems like the planning in advance, etc. would be quite overwhelming and annoying to the average visitor. I know people who have always gotten FP's for all of the E-Tickets and planned them throughout the day (notably at Epcot, with TT and Soarin, and DHS with RnRC and TOT) - that kind of visitor is going to be ticked off big time with the changes. Unless it's really busy, I could see people using the FP+ for the E-Ticket and forgetting using it for the rest. People don't want FP+s to the minor stuff. They want them to the E-Tickets.

According to this article (which is somewhat old), it's apparently just going to be available to on-site guests, at least for a while. I wonder how many offsite guests order their tickets in advance through Disney?
    My understanding is it will be launched for guests and see if it works and is viable, that is stage 2, stage 1 they are testing currently for a small percentage of guests. Ultimately Disney will take a page from Universal and give it to resort guests and sell it to offsight guests. Where annual pass holder will fall into this puzzle I have yet to hear.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    My understanding is it will be launched for guests and see if it works and is viable, that is stage 2, stage 1 they are testing currently for a small percentage of guests. Ultimately Disney will take a page from Universal and give it to resort guests and sell it to offsite guests. Where annual pass holder will fall into this puzzle I have yet to hear.
    Yes, it looks like it will roll out to some resorts first, then some more, until they are all done, and then they'll deal with everyone else in some fashion. Still to be determined.

From what I hear, they are ready to begin giving it to some guests, but they didn't get the MagicBands yet.

The cited article is quite old, but it actually says at the end that although the rumor was originally that it would be for resort guests only, that it would be available to everyone.

What appears to be key lately is that being able to use the system most effectively might require booking packages or at least purchasing tickets direct from Disney. Tickets from other sources, and non-MYW tickets are not a priority for them to deal with right now (although APs are supposedly still very much on the radar - we just don't know how they will deal with them).
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

From everything I've heard and read on the subject I have come to two conclusions:

1. Pretty much everything you and HG have laid out is correct.

2. I don't think even Disney fully understands what they are doing with this, nor how they will finally complete the process.

Quote Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
    Yes, it looks like it will roll out to some resorts first, then some more, until they are all done, and then they'll deal with everyone else in some fashion. Still to be determined.

From what I hear, they are ready to begin giving it to some guests, but they didn't get the MagicBands yet.

The cited article is quite old, but it actually says at the end that although the rumor was originally that it would be for resort guests only, that it would be available to everyone.

What appears to be key lately is that being able to use the system most effectively might require booking packages or at least purchasing tickets direct from Disney. Tickets from other sources, and non-MYW tickets are not a priority for them to deal with right now (although APs are supposedly still very much on the radar - we just don't know how they will deal with them).
    I know the bands had been presented to the FCC for approval late last year, I don't remember that approval coming from the FCC yet, but with the holidays I certainly could have missed the approval. That is my guess why they Disney launched the testing with the card vs the ultimate end, the wristband. Again a guess.

but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Noyz View Post
    From everything I've heard and read on the subject I have come to two conclusions:

1. Pretty much everything you and HG have laid out is correct.

2. I don't think even Disney fully understands what they are doing with this, nor how they will finally complete the process.
    Agreed. The explanations here make more sense than what Disney is saying.

I'm still skeptical it would work the way Disney is planning it to. I think it'd cause more backlogs and confusion. I can see it maybe doing alright with first-time or two-time visitors that aren't as familiar with the system - I hate to keep saying this - but WDW veterans/repeat visitors, especially those who are FP whizzes, are not going to like this if forced upon them.
    Last edited by clj2; 01-23-2013 at 03:10 PM.
    WDW:: March 1996 (Buena Vista Palace DTD) | March 2005 (Hilton DTD) | March 2007 (Hilton DTD) | March 2009 (Hilton DTD) | August 2011 (Hilton DTD) | March 2012 (Royal Plaza DTD) | August 10th-17th 2013

I know the bands had been presented to the FCC for approval late last year, I don't remember that approval coming from the FCC yet, but with the holidays I certainly could have missed the approval. That is my guess why they Disney launched the testing with the card vs the ultimate end, the wristband. Again a guess.
    My understanding is that they are actually waiting for the bands, they just didn't arrive in time for their planned initial wave, so they appear to have passed FCC muster.
    Doc

I can find the applications in early October to the FCC online, I just can't find the FCC approval after that. I tried with both the developers name and Disney.

Have you found confirmation of it being approved?

I can find the applications in early October to the FCC online, I just can't find the FCC approval after that. I tried with both the developers name and Disney.

Have you found confirmation of it being approved?
    No, but I'm not sure whether those are as public as the applications. I'm only reporting what I've heard - they were supposed to have them this past weekend or thereabouts.
    Doc

FYI, I looked into the FCC site, and it looks like for consumer products, it is not actually necessary for the FCC to specifically approve. You submit the device the an authorized testing facility ("Telecommunications Certification Bodies" or TCBs) and then file their report, which it looks like Disney did. So unless the FCC has a specific objection, approval might be automatic or at least pretty fast...
    Doc

Yeah, I looked through the FCC and could find the application but nothing after that. I could find a zillion reports of it going to the FCC in early October but only an almost claim that the FCC approved by Screamscape and I tend to want someone beyond screamscape to also run with the a confirmation.

I did ask my DS, who when he is there should be in the loop when it is about to launch, or has co-workers who would share and he laughed at me, then laughed some more.

Disney just has so many other things that need attention (Future World, anyone?), and they're focusing on this.

The current system was never even perfected.

It isn't for our pleasure or convenience. Revenue is the motivator for this tech launch. And in the end only their programmers will know when you go to book your park attraction reservations what choices will pop up for which targeted guests. Who will get the Premium choices on down to the blah ones. Pretty much the same for ADRs. It has been rumored for years Disney wanted to differentiate between their Premium Guests and minimal spenders but it would be icky to be blatant about it. This program would be a quiet, pretty untrackable way of doing so. It would also be another revenue stream to sell to off sight guests. The revenue streams are vast and could be imagineered for years to come. Yet it could be the final straw for loyal guests. Still they have DVC owners hooked for the long term but even they could turn on Disney and just enjoy the resorts as relaxation spas. Disney will have to take care of how they deal the deck of cards they hold.

I can only hope this system fizzles and implodes before it takes root. I am still dreaming.

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast